BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW X1 (F48) and X2 (F39) Forums General BMW X1 Forum (F48) Speed limit

01-15-2020, 08:14 AM   #1
sdp77
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW X1

Speed limit

When using Navigation, shouldn’t the speed limit be displayed? I know my Garmin displays it but I can find no setting for this in the built in navigation system.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2020, 08:58 AM   #2
Takabo
Private
Japan
Rep
Drives: G21 320d xDrive Touring MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp77 View Post
When using Navigation, shouldn’t the speed limit be displayed? I know my Garmin displays it but I can find no setting for this in the built in navigation system.
Hi,

I think it is possible if your car has 5AS or 5AT and 8TD as an option. There is an answer in the link of the following URL.

https://f48.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...4#post25296034

BMW 320d xDrive Touring M Sport(G21)
Production Plant: Munich, Production Date: 2021-02-25
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2020, 10:02 AM   #3
kavatski
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2023 X3 30iX

I don't think the speed limit is displayed on the navigation screen itself, like it is on VW/Audi products. On our X1 the speed limit display can be configured to show up in the gauge cluster as well as on the HUD.

Doesn't work all that well, at least around here, so I turned it off.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2020, 05:52 PM   #4
oakey46
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 2 A/T 220i Lux Auto 1.5

In the UK it's in the speedo/rev counter cluster and can be displayed in the centre lower area. I believe it also shows in the HUD, but my X1 doesn't have that facility, so only in the instrument cluster. It uses either the navigation system stored speed limits, but also updates from the windscreen camera. I find it very responsive, adjusting the displayed speed limit within a few yards/metres of any sign. Usefully, it also picks up temporary limits from short term roadworks.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2020, 06:38 PM   #5
sdp77
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW X1

My vehicle is not equipped with the camera system needed to read the signs on the road. I have subscribed to Navigation and I was expecting to have the speed limit displayed just like Garmin or Magellan devices do.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2020, 09:45 PM   #6
CajunBMW
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 340i and X1, Chrysler Van

My X1 does not have the camera nor the HUD and I don't think I have seen the speed limit on the Nav. Now my daughter drives this car mostly (she decide this was her car) and thus I haven't paid much attention to this point. I will check next time I drive the X1. On my 340 I have the camera and HUD and it definitely shows up there. I will have to check to see if it shows up on my Nav. I use Waze a lot and am used to the speed limit on that App, thus I don't recall if my 340 shows it on the Nav too.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2020, 12:00 PM   #7
oakey46
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 2 A/T 220i Lux Auto 1.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp77 View Post
My vehicle is not equipped with the camera system needed to read the signs on the road. I have subscribed to Navigation and I was expecting to have the speed limit displayed just like Garmin or Magellan devices do.
That sounds very unfortunate.
According to my BMW X1 Drivers Guide, which I downloaded to my iPad and iPhone from the Apple UK App Store (free), the camera is located, on my X1, on the front side (outside) of the rear-view mirror (it's clearly visible).
The Guide goes on to say 'Depending on the equipment, Speed Limit Info is displayed permanently in the instrument cluster or via the on-board computer'. On my car, to see the speed limit display, I have to press the button on the end of the turn indicator stalk (left stalk) until it comes up on the display. Repeatedly pressing the same button gives me the facility to bring up various other bits of info, such as remaining fuel range, average consumption etc.
As I've said, I don't have HUD and my SatNav etc is only the basic standard fit UK version. So perhaps we are just fortunate here!
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2020, 12:28 PM   #8
kavatski
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2023 X3 30iX

It’s one of those YMMV by country, year, options, etc. Here in Canada, the camera and parking sensors were optional until MY2019, so any cars that didn’t have that option package also wouldn’t have the features that depend on them, such as the speed limit info, parking assistant, high-beam assistant, collision warning, etc.

I think the bottom line is that displaying the speed limit on the navigation screen isn’t the BMW way - even if you do have the camera.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2020, 07:55 AM   #9
Beagler
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Sept 2019 Facelift X1 MSPORT

Mine also displays in HUD and instrument cluster. Be aware not always accurate. I have had 60 mph in a 30 mph limit.