BMW
X1 / X2
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board Politics/Religion Welcome to NYC.. Impound your car for speed camera violations

02-11-2020, 07:46 AM   #1
cmyx6go
Major
Rep
Drives: 2019 X6 ///M

Garage List
2019 X6 ///M  [0.00]
Welcome to NYC.. Impound your car for speed camera violations

They city changed the laws on speed cameras over the summer and expanded the hours and the locations from 140 to 750. The cameras operate from 6 a.m. to 10 p.m. on weekdays whether school is open or not. They donít have to be placed in front of a school, either. They can be within a quarter-mile radius.

I'm all for safety, but this is a cash grab. One of the new locations near where my parents live was 40 mph limit. The reduced the limit IN ONE DIRECTION to 30 mph (It's still 40 mph going the opposite direction). A half a block past the new 30 mph sign is the camera. WTF?

So now, as if the fines they are racking up isn't enough, they want to impound your car if you get too many tickets for either red light or speed cameras. Don't even get me started on the red light cameras. I cross through one intersection twice every day. The camera will issue a ticket if you don't clear the intersection before the light turns red. The cameras cause more chaos because people are so afraid to get caught they nail their brakes when the light is still green because they see the number 2 flashing on the crosswalk walk/don't walk signal.

https://www.silive.com/news/2020/02/...impounded.html
      02-11-2020, 07:59 AM   #2
gonzo
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: as many as possible

Thank goodness we have a sensible governor and he banned red-light cameras. I fought 4 times and won before his action. Same camera was rigged to set light to yellow then red within a blink. It was so flagrant it was funny.

So about NY...

"Mayor DeBlasio, the members of the NYPD are declaring war on you! We do not respect you, DO NOT visit us in hospitals. You sold the NYPD to the vile creatures, the 1% who hate cops but vote for you. NYPD cops have been assassinated because of you. This isn't over, Game on!"

"Police are being targeted.The anti cop tone infecting our city & state is causing bloodshed. Before any public official sends their thoughts & prayers, they should ask themselves how the language & behavior they've been tolerating has contributed to violence against police,"

That is from The Sergeant's Benevolent Association (SBA).

This is a bad situation and I look straight at the Obama wannabes running the state.

#Texasftw
Run Silent13732.00

02-11-2020, 08:03 AM   #3
DETRoadster
Space Force - 4 Star General
Rep
Drives: M2 MG 6MT / Moto Guzzi V7

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmyx6go View Post
They city changed the laws on speed cameras over the summer and expanded the hours and the locations from 140 to 750. The cameras operate from 6 a.m. to 10 p.m. on weekdays whether school is open or not. They donít have to be placed in front of a school, either. They can be within a quarter-mile radius.

I'm all for safety, but this is a cash grab. One of the new locations near where my parents live was 40 mph limit. The reduced the limit IN ONE DIRECTION to 30 mph (It's still 40 mph going the opposite direction). A half a block past the new 30 mph sign is the camera. WTF?

So now, as if the fines they are racking up isn't enough, they want to impound your car if you get too many tickets for either red light or speed cameras. Don't even get me started on the red light cameras. I cross through one intersection twice every day. The camera will issue a ticket if you don't clear the intersection before the light turns red. The cameras cause more chaos because people are so afraid to get caught they nail their brakes when the light is still green because they see the number 2 flashing on the crosswalk walk/don't walk signal.

https://www.silive.com/news/2020/02/...impounded.html
Those things are a menace. We have the same issue here. People either creep along at 15 MPH because they are afraid, or, they nail the brakes and refuse to go through the intersection. Seems to me that intersections that are equipped with red-light cameras and the requirement that your whole vehicle clears the intersection really need the time on yellow increased. Or, flash the green for a few seconds to warn that the green is coming to an end and it's about to flip to yellow. Usually I just watch the walk signal for an indication but that's a crap shoot.
Appreciate 1
cmyx6go4271.50

02-11-2020, 08:08 AM   #4
cmyx6go
Major
Rep

Garage List
2019 X6 ///M  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by gonzo View Post
Thank goodness we have a sensible governor and he banned red-light cameras. I fought 4 times and won before his action. Same camera was rigged to set light to yellow then red within a blink. It was so flagrant it was funny.

So about NY...

"Mayor DeBlasio, the members of the NYPD are declaring war on you! We do not respect you, DO NOT visit us in hospitals. You sold the NYPD to the vile creatures, the 1% who hate cops but vote for you. NYPD cops have been assassinated because of you. This isn't over, Game on!"

"Police are being targeted.The anti cop tone infecting our city & state is causing bloodshed. Before any public official sends their thoughts & prayers, they should ask themselves how the language & behavior they've been tolerating has contributed to violence against police,"

That is from The Sergeant's Benevolent Association (SBA).

This is a bad situation and I look straight at the Obama wannabes running the state.

#Texasftw
The city is going to hell. Between the bail reform thing and the anti police rhetoric, it's terrible.
MKSixer23323.00

02-11-2020, 08:15 AM   #5
DETRoadster
Rep

Quote:
The city is going to hell. Between the bail reform thing and the anti police rhetoric, it's terrible.
I feel like with a little math and some physics you could make a pretty solid case to get out of most tickets. Like, it's a 30 MPH road, human reaction time is X, yellow light time on is Y. if you are traveling at Z speed then it's near impossible to see yellow, react, and stop safely, or, clear the intersection. Essentially an entrapment argument.

There's certain situations where you are simply F'd. Like bumper to bumper commute traffic and the car in front of you panics and hits the brakes, slows to like 10 MPH in the intersection, then panics again and guns it. Thus clearing the intersection but leaving you in it because you were trapped behind his dumb ass.
Appreciate 1
cmyx6go4271.50

02-11-2020, 08:19 AM   #6
cmyx6go
Major
Rep

Garage List
2019 X6 ///M  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DETRoadster View Post
I feel like with a little math and some physics you could make a pretty solid case to get out of most tickets. Like, it's a 30 MPH road, human reaction time is X, yellow light time on is Y. if you are traveling at Z speed then it's near impossible to see yellow, react, and stop safely, or, clear the intersection. Essentially an entrapment argument.

There's certain situations where you are simply F'd. Like bumper to bumper commute traffic and the car in front of you panics and hits the brakes, slows to like 10 MPH in the intersection, then panics again and guns it. Thus clearing the intersection but leaving you in it because you were trapped behind his dumb ass.
Did I mention that the intersections with red light cameras also have speed cameras? So if you think you're going get caught in the intersection and nail it, you get a speeding violation.

02-11-2020, 08:58 AM   #7
Salty Dog
Captain
Rep
Drives: Austin Mini,MBGLK, Porsche 993

Quote:
Did I mention that the intersections with red light cameras also have speed cameras? So if you think you're going get caught in the intersection and nail it, you get a speeding violation.
Shhhhhh, the idiot mayor of Toronto will pleasure himself if he gets wind of this.
Appreciate 5
cmyx6go4271.50
David0ff958.00
OrcaPod48.50
vreihen162064.50
Dang3r3798.50

02-11-2020, 09:10 AM   #8
R3dliner
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 18 M3 6MT

Quote:
Not to mention on top off all of this the feds are at war with the gov and mayor. No more global entry or Pre TSA renewals. They just recently banned any NY titled vehicles for export. What's next?
Appreciate 1
cmyx6go4271.50

02-11-2020, 09:24 AM   #9
cmyx6go
Major
Rep

Garage List
2019 X6 ///M  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by R3dliner View Post
Not to mention on top off all of this the feds are at war with the gov and mayor. No more global entry or Pre TSA renewals. They just recently banned any NY titled vehicles for export. What's next?
I talked about that in another thread. Cuomo blaming Trump for the Global Entry issue when it fact Cuomo caused this by blocking access to DMV records after he allowed illegals to obtain drivers licenses.
R3dliner840.50
DieselOG1372.50
MKSixer23323.00
vreihen162064.50
Dang3r3798.50

02-11-2020, 09:26 AM   #10
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 325i Arctic

Is this like the nor'easter thread???

Red light cameras - check (since repealed for the most part)
no bail - check
illegal aliens issued state driver's license, now not valid for identification - check

Sound like you moved to California

Appreciate 4
cmyx6go4271.50
David0ff958.00
vreihen162064.50

02-11-2020, 09:45 AM   #11
DETRoadster
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleWede View Post

no bail - check
illegal aliens issued state driver's license, now not valid for identification - check

Meanwhile in "Freeattle", the city council voted to ban landlords from evicting tenants between Nov. 1 and March 31 because it's cold out. Mind you it's in the 40s. It ain't like this is Minnesota. Come to Seattle and get 5 months free rent, every year!

Oh and we voted for $30 car tags (my M2 tags are about $700 at the moment). State decided they didn't like that so they are simply ignoring the will of the people.

Crazy times we live in.
Appreciate 6
cmyx6go4271.50
DieselOG1372.50
MKSixer23323.00
Run Silent13732.00

02-11-2020, 09:53 AM   #12
pennsiveguy
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15 xDrive50i M-sport

Garage List
Quote:
I talked about that in another thread. Cuomo blaming Trump for the Global Entry issue when it fact Cuomo caused this by blocking access to DMV records after he allowed illegals to obtain drivers licenses.
What starts happening, then, is that the good people move away. What you'll have left is the very rich, who could pay the draconian fines but won't have to because they have the game rigged in their favor; and the parasites who live off hand-outs, and the criminal element fighting out their turf battles on the streets every day. Sound like utopia? Nope, doesn't to me either.
MKSixer23323.00
vreihen162064.50

02-11-2020, 10:32 AM   #13
gonzo
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

I'll just leave this here.

Michelle Caruso-Cabrera
@MCaruso_Cabrera
I'm running for NY-14, to fight for the people of Queens & the Bronx, daughter of Cuban immigrants and living the American Dream 🇺🇸 https://michellecc2020.com
9:51 AM ∑ Feb 11, 2020

When I still watched TV, I enjoyed her on CNBC.

Sending aoc to the curb would be a nice place to start for NY.
vreihen162064.50
Torgus2274.50

02-11-2020, 10:46 AM   #14
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 325i Arctic

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleWede View Post

no bail - check

Meanwhile in "Freeattle", the city council voted to ban landlords from evicting tenants between Nov. 1 and March 31 because it's cold out. Mind you it's in the 40s. It ain't like this is Minnesota. Come to Seattle and get 5 months free rent, every year!

Oh and we voted for $30 car tags (my M2 tags are about $700 at the moment). State decided they didn't like that so they are simply ignoring the will of the people.

Crazy times we live in.
But did they also freeze the rent? Since Ca did that, several counties blocked evictions before the new law went into effect. Doesn't matter if you are a deadbeat that didn't pay, trashed the place

When I take over the family's real estate, I'm leaving that shit EMPTY. How's that work out for your housing density/ homeless pressure????
Appreciate 1
cmyx6go4271.50

02-11-2020, 11:04 AM   #15
cooolone2
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 20' M240iX B58, 01' 330XI E46

NY is a shit hole filled with hidden taxes, like these cash registers that rake in millions for NYC. It has nothing to do with public safety or traffic control, only revenue! It started actually a few years ago when nutjob mayor changed the citywide speed limit to 25mph! Even before that when traffic control devices (traffic lights and stop signs) were installed on every side street throughout the city, no more short cuts if you want to avoid main streets.

Bottom line? Invest in a really good GPS enabled Radar Detector, like my Uniden R3 which updates RL and Spd camera locations, or similar. There's other ways to avoid paying the man too, but won't discuss them. But don't worry, soon they'll have your EZPass tracked and charge you for each mile traveled within the city, charge you for stopped periods in addition to metered parking, just for being there. Add that soon, to be charged congestion pricing, and it's all a windfall... Gluttony!

Funny thing is they treat it all as a convenience, or luxury, to be able to travel. But there is precedent that there is a "Right" to travel contained within the Commerce Cluase of the U.S. Constitution, and taxing a Right, we all know, is a big No No. Now the courts won't allow a true challenge to something so prevelant as collecting road use fees in Registration of vehicles and such, largely because of the harm it would cause would outweigh the benefit even though it's wrong. But to the point where the defecto taxation of the activity renders it unobtainable or out of reach for only those with the ability to pay, it becomes a burden and is damaging. Nobody has challenged these in NYC and they should... Try traveling down Queens Blvd, lol... I didn't once and my RD was signing like a bird every other block, no joke!

Considering the Bail reform and free gifts to alleged criminals to provide incentive to return to court, the hundreds of millions budgeted yearly to pay off lawsuits against the NYPD, the tens of millions in uncollected tolls on crossings now due to removal of booths and the tens of millions the city can't find missing from it's coffers... They need to bleed cash from some place. And that's anyone who drives!

Anyways...
Appreciate 1
cmyx6go4271.50

02-11-2020, 11:13 AM   #16
cmyx6go
Major
Rep

Garage List
2019 X6 ///M  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by cooolone2 View Post
NY is a shit hole filled with hidden taxes, like these cash registers that rake in millions for NYC. It has nothing to do with public safety or traffic control, only revenue! It started actually a few years ago when nutjob mayor changed the citywide speed limit to 25mph! Even before that when traffic control devices (traffic lights and stop signs) were installed on every side street throughout the city, no more short cuts if you want to avoid main streets.

Bottom line? Invest in a really good GPS enabled Radar Detector, like my Uniden R3 which updates RL and Spd camera locations, or similar. There's other ways to avoid paying the man too, but won't discuss them. But don't worry, soon they'll have your EZPass tracked and charge you for each mile traveled within the city, charge you for stopped periods in addition to metered parking, just for being there. Add that soon, to be charged congestion pricing, and it's all a windfall... Gluttony!

Funny thing is they treat it all as a convenience, or luxury, to be able to travel. But there is precedent that there is a "Right" to travel contained within the Commerce Cluase of the U.S. Constitution, and taxing a Right, we all know, is a big No No. Now the courts won't allow a true challenge to something so prevelant as collecting road use fees in Registration of vehicles and such, largely because of the harm it would cause would outweigh the benefit even though it's wrong. But to the point where the defecto taxation of the activity renders it unobtainable or out of reach for only those with the ability to pay, it becomes a burden and is damaging. Nobody has challenged these in NYC and they should... Try traveling down Queens Blvd, lol... I didn't once and my RD was signing like a bird every other block, no joke!

Considering the Bail reform and free gifts to alleged criminals to provide incentive to return to court, the hundreds of millions budgeted yearly to pay off lawsuits against the NYPD, the tens of millions in uncollected tolls on crossings now due to removal of booths and the tens of millions the city can't find missing from it's coffers... They need to bleed cash from some place. And that's anyone who drives!

Anyways...
Well said. Good rant.
      02-11-2020, 04:26 PM   #17
gonzo
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Take your car for traffic violations.
Get a ticket for knocking the crap out of a woman.

Man accused of slugging straphanger in face gets off with ticket.
https://nypost.com/2020/02/11/man-ac...f-with-ticket/

Her husband did nothing?
      02-11-2020, 04:36 PM   #18
Run Silent
Run Deep
United_States
Rep
Drives: Back and Forth To Work

Garage List
Quote:

Crazy times we live in.
Annual tag fee for my Mini: $28.50
Annual tag fee for my 4 series: $28.50
Annual tag fee for my F-Car: $28.50

Sense a pattern? Dude, you need to move.

02-11-2020, 04:46 PM   #19
Stage IV
Keep right except to pass!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Cayman S

https://www.phantomplate.com/

??

Flat Six Innovations 3.8L Stage II Performer engine being built
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2020, 04:54 PM   #20
F32Fleet
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i

They were tried and tossed in my town about 10 yrs ago. Typically the system itself is leased so the leasor makes huge $$$.

435i, MPPK, MPE, M-Sport Line
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2020, 04:58 PM   #21
spta97
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW 2020 X3MC

How do you expect to us to pay for everyone who doesnít want to work or is illegally...errr...undocumented in this state if not for the fines and taxes from people who work???

Appreciate 2
vreihen162064.50

02-11-2020, 04:59 PM   #22
///M4ster Yoda
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '16 F82 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by R3dliner View Post
Quote:
TSA is unchanged but Global entry etc etc... is fucked. We have 4 more years then I'm gonna have to wait in long immigration lines. Sucks.

Cuomo is a moron! Actually all Democrats are complete morons. There I said it.
Current Stable: '19 X3 (Wifey) '20 ZCP M4 (Mine)
Appreciate 2
vreihen162064.50