BMW
X1 / X2
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW X1 (F48) and X2 (F39) Forums General BMW X1 Forum (F48) 2016 BMW X1 2nd hand buying advice

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      08-23-2019, 07:58 AM   #1
Peter9588
New Member
0
Rep
7
Posts

Drives: BMW M135i
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: Surrey

iTrader: (0)

2016 BMW X1 2nd hand buying advice

Hi,

I am currently looking at purchasing a 2nd hand ~2016 2.0i Sport X1, around 20/30k miles for about 20k.

I currently drive a 2014 M135i, with pretty much every option available; pro navigation, sunroof, cruise, electric heated seats, folding mirrors, adaptive headlights, front and rear parking senors and so on. (This car will be sold as we are expecting twins in November.)

At this budget there don't seem to be too many options spec'd on x1s available on autotrader.

Are there any options that you'd consider must have? I would miss the pro nav the most i think, but there are just so few cars with it spec'd at my budget.

I saw someone mentioned that speed limits can be displayed on the sat nav. This was something very annoying, which my m135i didn't do. Is this a standard feature?

Any other advice anyone could give on my potential purchase would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Pete
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2019, 08:16 AM   #2
Bluewater335D
Private First Class
21
Rep
166
Posts

Drives: E92 LCI 335D, F48 X1 18d
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: Hampshire, UK

iTrader: (0)

I recently bought a 68 Plate 18d Sport, with leather, F & R parkings sensors and a few other bits and pieces - with 3,000 miles on the clock - I have a 335D - and that model comes quite well spec

My wife and I will both drive the X1 - (she never drives the 335D)

I would have liked electric memory seats in the X1, as there is quite a lot of adjustment between mine and my wife's seating positions.

Run-Flats - like them or not - most seem to be negative

We live in a street were parking is at a premium, as so F & R sensor are very useful.

I did not like the "cloth, or whatever" seats in the Sport/M Sport

Presumably the car you are buying has the 8 speed sports auto box, (with paddles)
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2019, 08:26 AM   #3
Peter9588
New Member
0
Rep
7
Posts

Drives: BMW M135i
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: Surrey

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluewater335D View Post
I recently bought a 68 Plate 18d Sport, with leather, F & R parkings sensors and a few other bits and pieces - with 3,000 miles on the clock - I have a 335D - and that model comes quite well spec

My wife and I will both drive the X1 - (she never drives the 335D)

I would have liked electric memory seats in the X1, as there is quite a lot of adjustment between mine and my wife's seating positions.

Run-Flats - like them or not - most seem to be negative

We live in a street were parking is at a premium, as so F & R sensor are very useful.

I did not like the "cloth, or whatever" seats in the Sport/M Sport

Presumably the car you are buying has the 8 speed sports auto box, (with paddles)
Attitude towards runflats are the same in the m135is/140is, advised not to go anywhere near them.

Yep definitely auto, got so used to it in my 1 series that i wouldnt want to go back to manual.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2019, 08:43 AM   #4
CliveL
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
151
Rep
304
Posts

Drives: 2016 X1 F48 xDrive20i xLine
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Bournemouth, UK

iTrader: (0)

The speed limit sign recognition feature was standard on all the X1s ("Speed Limit Information via On Board Computer within instrument cluster" in the brochure) back in 2016 when I bought mine, so you should get that. But the folding mirrors, electric seats and front parking sensors were all options I think. You should also get sliding rear seats as standard on a 2016 model, which are now an optional extra, and probably the enhanced interior lighting package, which again is now an extra I think.

I've got the "standard" nav in my 2016 xLine, with the smaller screen, and I've found it quite adequate for the last 3 years. I would have liked the larger screen, and the accompanying Heads Up Display, but I couldn't justify the extra grand or so on the order.

One option we couldn't really do without are the electric adjustable memory seats, as my wife and I swap in and out of the car regularly. I also specced non-runflat tyres, along with a spare space-saver, electric folding/dimming mirrors, sun protection glass, a heated steering wheel and front parking sensors with the rear reversing camera. Those were our priorities at ordering time

If money had been no object then I would have gone for the larger nav screen, probably a sunroof, and a better sound system (ours is the Basic one). But those would have added probably another 2.5k to the cost!

The 2016 xLine already had LED lights as standard, as did the M Sport, and leather seats. I've got a PDF of the standard specifications for the 2016 models if you're interested? They did change slightly over time; I've got January 2016, July 2016 and November 2017 if it helps.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2019, 10:24 AM   #5
Peter9588
New Member
0
Rep
7
Posts

Drives: BMW M135i
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: Surrey

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliveL View Post
The speed limit sign recognition feature was standard on all the X1s ("Speed Limit Information via On Board Computer within instrument cluster" in the brochure) back in 2016 when I bought mine, so you should get that. But the folding mirrors, electric seats and front parking sensors were all options I think. You should also get sliding rear seats as standard on a 2016 model, which are now an optional extra, and probably the enhanced interior lighting package, which again is now an extra I think.

I've got the "standard" nav in my 2016 xLine, with the smaller screen, and I've found it quite adequate for the last 3 years. I would have liked the larger screen, and the accompanying Heads Up Display, but I couldn't justify the extra grand or so on the order.

One option we couldn't really do without are the electric adjustable memory seats, as my wife and I swap in and out of the car regularly. I also specced non-runflat tyres, along with a spare space-saver, electric folding/dimming mirrors, sun protection glass, a heated steering wheel and front parking sensors with the rear reversing camera. Those were our priorities at ordering time

If money had been no object then I would have gone for the larger nav screen, probably a sunroof, and a better sound system (ours is the Basic one). But those would have added probably another 2.5k to the cost!

The 2016 xLine already had LED lights as standard, as did the M Sport, and leather seats. I've got a PDF of the standard specifications for the 2016 models if you're interested? They did change slightly over time; I've got January 2016, July 2016 and November 2017 if it helps.
Hi Clive,

Thanks for your reply.

I do like the folding mirrors on my current car. Not too fussed about the electric seats, as it's almost always me driving.

I do like the sunroof, but honestly I think it could be a right pain as it gets older and seals start to go.

Those pdfs would be amazing if you could send them over!
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2019, 12:58 PM   #6
Skyline2.0
Private First Class
44
Rep
138
Posts

Drives: 2018 BMW X1 xDrive
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: United States

iTrader: (0)

Some options I could go without:

1. Mine has Nav that I've only used it once in the almost one year of ownership so far. But, this is personal preference as I prefer Google Maps much more over BMW's factory system.

2. Run-flat tires - once I reach the point of needing new tires, I'm definitely going to conventional ones. Ride quality over rough terrain or pot holes is pretty jarring. I purchased a space saver spare already, which you should definitely get if you go Non RFTs.

3. Power lift gate for trunk - It's nice to have, but I can easily do without it. Also, several members have reported issues with the lift gate not operating properly, such as closing when it shouldn't or opening randomly. I've experienced both and luckily it hasn't happened more than once or twice. But, it does me look back twice pretty often to make sure the trunk doesn't open randomly.

Features that I like (not clear if below are options or come standard):

1. Folding mirrors, especially the tilt in reverse function. Quite helpful when parallel parking. I think this is standard for all X1s though.

2. Sport seats - they're pretty comfortable and are quite adjustable. Makes long road trips not as painful.

3. LED exterior lighting package. Note: I do NOT have it currently, but wish I did. I feel like the "halo" style DRLs are iconic to BMWs, which should come standard on all models. Also, LED light output is significantly better compared to halogen bulbs. I sort of found a middle ground by upgrading all my exterior halogen bulbs to LEDs, but it's not quite the same.

4. All weather floor mats. I convinced my dealer to toss them in for free, and wish I haggled harder to get the trunk one included, too. This may not matter to you, but I'm a clean freak in terms of keeping the interior spotless. Also, if you live in a rainy/snowy area, the all weather mats will make cleaning the floor area significantly easier.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2019, 01:06 PM   #7
rice_rocket88
First Lieutenant
40
Rep
357
Posts

Drives: E60 F48 F49
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: Boston

iTrader: (0)

I'm in the US, but there were plenty of options to add onto the X1 that we got, with that being said ours is almost optioned out to the teeth.. kind of like what your 135i has now.

The wife says the #1 feature she likes about the car (that's different that others we've had) is the heads up display. Folding mirrors wasn't an option, but we find that very very useful. Heated seats and steering wheel for me is a big plus in the winter that I do not want to give up. Sunroof, doesn't matter to me. Auto folding seats in the back, also don't care. Spare tire? Sort of care but wasn't available. We don't get many flats anyways, and a tow truck would be just fine to wait for in her case. I'd be inpatient and want to swap and get on the road. We have a roadside fix a flat kit inside instead. LED lights for me is a must must. Her car was the first car that we have owned with them, and they made my e60 (with new light bulbs ) make it look like a dim candle. Power trunk lid (if that's an option that you don't have) is a must for her. Reaching up there and pulling the heavy door down was physically not good and so power trunk lid solves that problem. Navigation wasn't needed (we use our phones) but it comes with the tech package that had the HUD for us. We also got the larger screen.. which is nicer if you compare it to the smaller screen. You certainly have to find one that has the options, but if you could I would certainly try to find one loaded up as much as your 135.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2019, 06:50 PM   #8
MJE60
First Lieutenant
MJE60's Avatar
England
258
Rep
380
Posts

Drives: BMW f48 xline 2.0 D
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Dorset, UK

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter9588 View Post
Hi,

I am currently looking at purchasing a 2nd hand ~2016 2.0i Sport X1, around 20/30k miles for about 20k.

I currently drive a 2014 M135i, with pretty much every option available; pro navigation, sunroof, cruise, electric heated seats, folding mirrors, adaptive headlights, front and rear parking senors and so on. (This car will be sold as we are expecting twins in November.)

At this budget there don't seem to be too many options spec'd on x1s available on autotrader.

Are there any options that you'd consider must have? I would miss the pro nav the most i think, but there are just so few cars with it spec'd at my budget.

I saw someone mentioned that speed limits can be displayed on the sat nav. This was something very annoying, which my m135i didn't do. Is this a standard feature?

Any other advice anyone could give on my potential purchase would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Pete
Hi
Be aware that X1 in U.K. do not have pro Nav , the Nav packages for x1 are business Nav with smaller 6.5” display screen or business Nav with larger 8.8” display and hud (called Nav plus). Business Nav is nowhere as good as Pro Nav. Imo the larger 8.8” screen makes a huge difference to functionality (for e.g has split screen) and quality feel. If you enjoy good hifi in your car then be aware the basic hifi in the X1 may seriously disappoint , so I would take test this, the mid-range option is better and Harman Kardon better again but the HK in the X1 is not as good as HK in higher range models. Finally is you regard CarPlay as important (e.g use it for Nav apps etc ) then make sure the car you intend to buy has it!, it cannot be easily retrofitted (and the only reliable retrofit option I am aware of costs €500 to informally purchase a genuine BMW FSC code for your car).
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2019, 12:47 AM   #9
Abh29
Private
8
Rep
77
Posts

Drives: BMW. X1 f48. 20i xLine xDrive
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: North Wales

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter9588 View Post
Hi,

I am currently looking at purchasing a 2nd hand ~2016 2.0i Sport X1, around 20/30k miles for about 20k.

I currently drive a 2014 M135i, with pretty much every option available; pro navigation, sunroof, cruise, electric heated seats, folding mirrors, adaptive headlights, front and rear parking senors and so on. (This car will be sold as we are expecting twins in November.)

At this budget there don't seem to be too many options spec'd on x1s available on autotrader.

Are there any options that you'd consider must have? I would miss the pro nav the most i think, but there are just so few cars with it spec'd at my budget.

I saw someone mentioned that speed limits can be displayed on the sat nav. This was something very annoying, which my m135i didn't do. Is this a standard feature?

Any other advice anyone could give on my potential purchase would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Pete

Hi . We run a f48 20i Xdrive (bought used 3 month old 2100 miles ) previous had the e84 18d
We have sensors back/front ,on my wifes previous car (Nissan QQ) she had rear camera , and very quickly wanted the sensors fitting as she did not like the camera.
We have the LED lights but I find them not as good as the Adaptive Zenons in previous car. The X1 does not have the full adaptive system fitted to some larger cars.
Car has sports leather which are good , but we also have Lumber Support an absolute extra in our case.
I am happy with the Non RoF tyres but finding the Bridgestones very
noisy.
I wish we had the folding mirrors
For our use I am happy with the normal Sat Nav, I do find the ability to send destinations to the car from the iPhone usefull.Very good being able to regulary update maps , but its never worked in car ,always used a Mac and memory stick.
The 4 pot 20i engine is reasonable for normal use , but I do still prefer the well tried 6 pot engine I have in the Z3.
Heated seats I think are standard but not heated steering wheel. Both very nice on a winters morning.
Buying 3 years old I would suggest its important to get one from a BMW dealer and ensure its service is up to date so you can keep the BMW warrantee.
Also when buying pay very close attention to the tyres ---BMW have quite strict requirements to avoid transmission wind up.
After the troubles a number of freinds have had with sun roof I would not have one .
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2019, 10:44 AM   #10
simon.
Colonel
United Kingdom
866
Rep
2,496
Posts

Drives: F48 25D mSport
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Milton Keynes

iTrader: (0)

I went from a M135i to 335D to the 25D X1. Prepare yourself for a shock, as quick as the 25D is (& the 20D isn't loads slower) the 8 speed Asin gearbox isn't a patch on the ZF box you are used too & even if you are getting Xdrive the car is very FWD bias & slow to hook up the tears, especially into roundabouts etc where there is a big delay. Better in sport but still not great. I'm on NRF tyres, better ride but tyre noise is louder than either the of the prior 2 cars. My 335D was on Goodyear RF's & tbh, I thought they were great & had no complaints.

The Car is nicely put together mind, I actually like the alcantara / cloth seats, mine are heated, as is the steering wheel and both are nice options to have if you can find one. Parking sensors F&R & folding mirrors are very handy as well.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2019, 11:28 PM   #11
00max00
Private First Class
United_States
19
Rep
107
Posts

Drives: BMW X1 - option loaded
Join Date: Feb 2019
Location: New Jersey

iTrader: (0)

The problem with the Asin is in the 1st gear engagement from a complete stop, otherwise it is quite competent in sport mode.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2019, 01:47 PM   #12
CliveL
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
151
Rep
304
Posts

Drives: 2016 X1 F48 xDrive20i xLine
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Bournemouth, UK

iTrader: (0)

I'm having a go at uploading the PDFs from 2016 and 2017...

They include a couple of the "Standard Specifications" which should give you an idea of what each model variant from the time should have as standard, and a price list which also shows the standard equipment for each model, and the option costs. Hope that helps!
Attached Images
File Type: pdf BMW X1 Standard Specification July-2016.pdf (971.4 KB, 27 views)
File Type: pdf BMW X1 Standard Specification Nov-2017.pdf (953.5 KB, 16 views)
File Type: pdf BMW X1 Price List April 2016.pdf (6.53 MB, 14 views)
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2019, 06:28 AM   #13
Peter9588
New Member
0
Rep
7
Posts

Drives: BMW M135i
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: Surrey

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliveL View Post
I'm having a go at uploading the PDFs from 2016 and 2017...

They include a couple of the "Standard Specifications" which should give you an idea of what each model variant from the time should have as standard, and a price list which also shows the standard equipment for each model, and the option costs. Hope that helps!
Thank you Clive this is really helpful.
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:00 PM.




xbimmers
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST