BMW
X1 / X2
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board Politics/Religion Everyone is being left behind.

05-07-2016, 07:13 PM   #1
fareast1
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2006 330I, 1996 z3, 2010 X5

Everyone is being left behind.

I thought this was an interesting read. Topical article about the shrinking middle class. I think it is worth a read.

FE1

http://www.mybudget360.com/america-w...obs-low-wages/
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2016, 08:17 PM   #2
Mywifes335
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 FBO M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by fareast1 View Post
I thought this was an interesting read. Topical article about the shrinking middle class. I think it is worth a read.

FE1

http://www.mybudget360.com/america-w...obs-low-wages/
Yeah man, this has been the case for a long time coming. Sucks.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2016, 08:24 PM   #3
The Wind Breezes
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 135i N55 DCT

Not everyone is being left behind. The upper class is gaining.

Smart leaders know that all you need is for your citizens to have the bare minimum that will keep them productive and out of politics. So a real "middle class" is inefficient, although not as much as you might think since even at the peak of middle class america the wealthy still held the vast majority of assets.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2016, 08:35 PM   #4
Mywifes335
Major
United_States
Rep

Back in 1989, my fathers BMW 525i cost $33,000+. In today's dollars, it's $65k. A comparable 528i would only cost about $56k, today. That's not the good news. While cars haven't really doubled in cost, many other things like homes, food, education, and gasoline have more than doubled.

In terms of purchasing power, inflation has put us at about a 2x increase in cost of goods. In 1989, $100k/year jobs were coveted. To this day, it is still a target for many...and a lot more people make this annual salary. However, this is where our purchasing power kills today's middle class....

I can go all day about this, but the point is $1:1 you don't get half of what you got 25 or so years ago.

And this is just one factor.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2016, 09:05 PM   #5
fareast1
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Wind Breezes View Post
Not everyone is being left behind. The upper class is gaining.

Smart leaders know that all you need is for your citizens to have the bare minimum that will keep them productive and out of politics. So a real "middle class" is inefficient, although not as much as you might think since even at the peak of middle class america the wealthy still held the vast majority of assets.
Interesting response, what do you mean when you say middle class is inefficient?
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2016, 09:08 PM   #6
fareast1
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mywifes335 View Post
Back in 1989, my fathers BMW 525i cost $33,000+. In today's dollars, it's $65k. A comparable 528i would only cost about $56k, today. That's not the good news. While cars haven't really doubled in cost, many other things like homes, food, education, and gasoline have more than doubled.

In terms of purchasing power, inflation has put us at about a 2x increase in cost of goods. In 1989, $100k/year jobs were coveted. To this day, it is still a target for many...and a lot more people make this annual salary. However, this is where our purchasing power kills today's middle class....

I can go all day about this, but the point is $1:1 you don't get half of what you got 25 or so years ago.

I believe our engineering and manufacturing abilities have improved to the point that the cost to build your dads 525i today would be significantly less. Do we think inflation accounts for the other 33k?
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2016, 09:54 PM   #7
Mywifes335
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I believe our engineering and manufacturing abilities have improved to the point that the cost to build your dads 525i today would be significantly less. Do we think inflation accounts for the other 33k?
The technological and engineering improvements are implicit for the most part since it's hard to truly show parity across goods that evolved.

But the short answer would be yes, cuz we'd be talking about eggs and gas. But even then, there have been continuous efficiencies.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2016, 11:11 PM   #8
The Wind Breezes
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 135i N55 DCT

Quote:
Interesting response, what do you mean when you say middle class is inefficient?
I mean their excess resources could be reallocated to the upper class, but it's really a marginal deal due to what I mention. The upper class has always held an extreme and disproportionate percentage of wealth, as in almost all of it.

The reason people are making less money is 2 fold, and obvious:

--Smart leaders are always looking at the bottom line, and smart leaders are ALWAYS 1 step ahead of the sheep they lead since they hold all the cards
--People are universally idiots, some just have more intellectual gifts than others, and most of them have no support in terms of good education / resources / outside help. So of course most people in this country are going to end up doing a dead end job that pays nothing, nobody gave them any other option and it takes one hell of an exceptional person to rise above that.

The natural progression is towards slavery, but political action is a moderating influence so we've been bumped back and forth a few times since the civil war ended.
Appreciate 3
      05-07-2016, 11:16 PM   #9
Mywifes335
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I mean their excess resources could be reallocated to the upper class, but it's really a marginal deal due to what I mention. The upper class has always held an extreme and disproportionate percentage of wealth, as in almost all of it.

--Smart leaders are always looking at the bottom line, and smart leaders are ALWAYS 1 step ahead of the sheep they lead since they hold all the cards
--People are universally idiots, some just have more intellectual gifts than others, and most of them have no support in terms of good education / resources / outside help. So of course most people in this country are going to end up doing a dead end job that pays nothing, nobody gave them any other option and it takes one hell of an exceptional person to rise above that.

The natural progression is towards slavery, but political action is a moderating influence so we've been bumped back and forth a few times since the civil war ended.
At work we're all somebody's bitch. Someway, somehow. Even CEOs of public companies.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2016, 06:58 PM   #10
PJinCA
USAF Pararescue Veteran
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 535

Quote:

This is a major reason why nobody wants to really "fix" our education system. An educated middle class is not something favored by those that "hold the cards", educated people tend to be smarter (granted, on a curve). However, the uneducated are more accepting of those dead end jobs, since they don;t have the skills to rise above. Given a generation or 2 of dead end jobs and even the offspring of those workers expect nothing more and - as you said, slavery is born, not with physical chains but with the mental ones.

Where I give the GOP credit is their ability to make those same "slaves" feel like they can also one day achieve the wealth it can take to hold some cards, and this keeps these poor sheeple voting against their own interests and voting for distributing more wealth to the top (see: Trickle down economics)
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2016, 05:20 PM   #11
fareast1
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJinCA View Post

Where I give the GOP credit is their ability to make those same "slaves" feel like they can also one day achieve the wealth it can take to hold some cards, and this keeps these poor sheeple voting against their own interests and voting for distributing more wealth to the top (see: Trickle down economics)
Try to say that with a little less cynicism, would you?

It is a bit of an extreme view, albeit one that I have considered. If a true, makes the world an awfully dark place. I am hoping it is just a perception.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2016, 05:23 PM   #12
fareast1
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Personally, I blame the boomers. They suck!
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2016, 06:02 PM   #13
David70
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 Z4M Coupe - 13 Cadillac ATS

Regardless of true or not, on a personal level, sitting around complaining about it won't solve the problem. Expecting to get ahead with only a high school education is a bad plan, get a degree or get post high school education (some type of trade) and move on. Next problem is if you decide to get a college education and your goal is to make decent to good money don't get a degree that will lead you to low pay with the plan to complain about it and how little money you make with it.

While the government (or the man) might be part of the problem most of it goes back to you.

Last edited by David70; 05-09-2016 at 06:09 PM..
Appreciate 1
      05-09-2016, 06:45 PM   #14
fareast1
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by David70 View Post
Regardless of true or not, ...
I skipped the rest because it started to sound like a lecture.

What do you mean regardless of true or not?

It is true, and should convey the sense that what we are doing is not good for our future. Over the past 30 years real wages are flat. That is an amazing period of time with America achieving some of its most productive years ever.

The other take-away was get a degree in changing adult diapers or whatever will help the elderly maintain their lifestyle.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2016, 06:54 PM   #15
fareast1
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Makes me want to punch Tom Brokaw in the mouth if I ever met him.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2016, 06:49 AM   #16
David70
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 Z4M Coupe - 13 Cadillac ATS

Quote:
I skipped the rest because it started to sound like a lecture.

What do you mean regardless of true or not?

It is true, and should convey the sense that what we are doing is not good for our future. Over the past 30 years real wages are flat. That is an amazing period of time with America achieving some of its most productive years ever.

The other take-away was get a degree in changing adult diapers or whatever will help the elderly maintain their lifestyle.

Not interested in reading my post but want me to reply to yours.

Carry on with the whining.
      05-10-2016, 04:28 PM   #17
fareast1
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by David70 View Post
Not interested in reading my post but want me to reply to yours.

Carry on with the whining.
Yeah, well itís been a rough week. The government checks are always two days late. I cant feed a family of seven as it is, then make it late all the time. Ė It is ridiculous. My parents want me to start paying rent for this shithole we are forced to live in. But hey, I did my part. I went to school. I got my GED. I worked my ass off, until I got injured. RSI, it is nothing to joke about. My Exís want me to take all the kids for the summer and arenít even going to give me any more money to pay for shit. Clothes and food arenít free you know. And why does the government think it can tell me what I can spend my money on? I mean Iím a grown man, I pay taxes, if I want to get my drink on with a case or two of bud light, who are they to say no?
So now my facktard dad wont fix the godamn lawnmower so I cant make any money on the side.

Tax the rich, feed the poor till there aint no rich no moreÖ.

Thanks for the encouragement David70
Appreciate 1
      05-10-2016, 04:36 PM   #18
gonzo
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: as many as possible

Quote:
Yeah, well it’s been a rough week. The government checks are always two days late. I cant feed a family of seven as it is, then make it late all the time. – It is ridiculous. My parents want me to start paying rent for this shithole we are forced to live in. But hey, I did my part. I went to school. I got my GED. I worked my ass off, until I got injured. RSI, it is nothing to joke about. My Ex’s want me to take all the kids for the summer and aren’t even going to give me any more money to pay for shit. Clothes and food aren’t free you know. And why does the government think it can tell me what I can spend my money on? I mean I’m a grown man, I pay taxes, if I want to get my drink on with a case or two of bud light, who are they to say no?
So now my facktard dad wont fix the godamn lawnmower so I cant make any money on the side.

Tax the rich, feed the poor till there aint no rich no more….

This and punching tom Brokaw. Interesting.
      05-11-2016, 03:02 PM   #19
eflatminor
Private
Rep
Drives: 2016 228i

Quote:

End the Fed!
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2016, 03:28 PM   #20
Mywifes335
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Yeah, well itís been a rough week. The government checks are always two days late. I cant feed a family of seven as it is, then make it late all the time. Ė It is ridiculous. My parents want me to start paying rent for this shithole we are forced to live in. But hey, I did my part. I went to school. I got my GED. I worked my ass off, until I got injured. RSI, it is nothing to joke about. My Exís want me to take all the kids for the summer and arenít even going to give me any more money to pay for shit. Clothes and food arenít free you know. And why does the government think it can tell me what I can spend my money on? I mean Iím a grown man, I pay taxes, if I want to get my drink on with a case or two of bud light, who are they to say no?

Tax the rich, feed the poor till there aint no rich no moreÖ.

fareast1 is the above really your situation? If so, sorry. But David70 has a valid point. You gotta find a way to improve your skill set. If you can mow lawns, you should be able bodied enough to work other jobs, right? You gotta find time to learn a trade. College, maybe. But a trade will pay off much faster.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2016, 03:52 PM   #21
jgoens
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i msport

Quote:
fareast1 is the above really your situation? If so, sorry. But David70 has a valid point. You gotta find a way to improve your skill set. If you can mow lawns, you should be able bodied enough to work other jobs, right? You gotta find time to learn a trade. College, maybe. But a trade will pay off much faster.
Yeah, like learn how to fix commercial refrigeration. I know a guy who does this as his business and has more work than he can handle yet when I ask him why he doesn't hire someone else he says nobody wants to do this work. He makes $100 an hour.
      05-11-2016, 06:49 PM   #22
fareast1
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Thanks Wifes335. I appreciate the encouragement. I was a few beers in when I responded to David70. But its the internet, so anything goes, right?

This is not EXACTLY my situation, but close enough for conversation. -Like I don't think my dad is a pinhead for not fixing the lawnmower every time. But I am really busy.
What you don't know is my youngest -7 is challenged. She needs someone with her all the time. That is why my last x became my last x. I didn't think it was right to go out when she was home alone.
But, I get about 17k from the gov to help out. And the people around here make me feel like total shit for it. Really, you can do better? 17k? Good luck. I tried working at the tire shop, made about 325 a week for busting my ass and it was never good enough or fast enough. But I am still buddies with those guys.
As soon as I get a 'regular' paycheck, I lose the gov checks. Well mostly. So, it doesn't make sense for me to pay somebody to watch Hannah while I bust my ass to make 325.
Better is that I get about 20 bucks an hour cash money for cutting grass, or if i work on cars, I get a good bit. I changed the cabin air filter for this one guy for 50 bucks!!! I just need more of those kinds of gigs.
SO Why do I have to feel like shit for needing help? Its not like I am not working. I even volunteered at the church sometimes. -Mostly for my mom.
But there are some Hottys running around that place, nice perk.

Enough ranting. Thats all I have to say. Thanks again.
Appreciate 0