BMW
X1 / X2
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board Politics/Religion These artists boycotting North Carolina

04-14-2016, 04:54 PM   #1
eflatminor
Private
Rep
Drives: 2016 228i

These artists boycotting North Carolina

Thinking about Mr Springsteen, Bryan Adams and other performers cancelling their concerts and refusing to provide service to the public...because of their opposition to a law that allows people to refuse service to the public.

The irony is...overwhelming.
Appreciate 1
      04-14-2016, 05:20 PM   #2
SumBMWGuy
Major
Rep
Drives: A German Car

My perspective on this situation is more like, how can a State in the United States, in 2016 still try and create discriminatory laws based on gender or sexual preference. Mississippi North Carolina, and Tennessee will reap what they sew on these laws.

edit: Good for Bruce Springsteen, Bryan Adams, et all for standing up to these bigoted laws.
Appreciate 5
      04-14-2016, 05:24 PM   #3
Fundguy1
Major General
Rep
Drives: 335 e93

Losers. And I'm from Jersey.
Appreciate 1
      04-14-2016, 05:46 PM   #4
eflatminor
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SumBMWGuy View Post
My perspective on this situation is more like, how can a State in the United States, in 2016 still try and create discriminatory laws based on gender or sexual preference. Mississippi North Carolina, and Tennessee will reap what they sew on these laws.
Not arguing that point, just pointing out the irony of refusing service because one is against the notion of refusing service.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2016, 05:52 PM   #5
Xiaoxi
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: a Miata

Quote:
Originally Posted by eflatminor View Post
Not arguing that point, just pointing out the irony of refusing service because one is against the notion of refusing service.
This is not irony.

Here's an example of irony:

A party whose core principle is fiscal responsibility wastes taxpayer money trying to regulate trivial moral bullshit.
Appreciate 2
      04-14-2016, 06:00 PM   #6
SumBMWGuy
Major
Rep

Quote:
This case isn't just about refusing service. The way some of these laws are written, such as in Mississippi, the law is much more intrusive than a simple baker not wanting to make a cake. The law passed in Mississippi wants to regulate sex before marriage:

Quote:
The sincerely held religious beliefs or moral convictions protected by this act are the belief or conviction that:
(a) Marriage is or should be recognized as the union of one man and one woman;
(b) Sexual relations are properly reserved to such a marriage; and
(c) Male (man) or female (woman) refer to an individualís immutable biological sex as objectively determined by anatomy and genetics at time of birth.
I thought part of the Republican platform was less government. Having the State Gov't come into my bedroom to tell me what is ok between 2 consenting adults is way too over reaching, in my opinion.

More info here
Appreciate 2
      04-14-2016, 06:02 PM   #7
eflatminor
Private
Rep

Quote:
This case isn't just about refusing service.
You're correct, but I'm only commenting on the refusing service part...and the irony of protesting that by refusing service.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2016, 06:03 PM   #8
eflatminor
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xiaoxi View Post
This is not irony.
Actually it is. I'm sure you can cite other examples of irony. Not the point.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2016, 06:04 PM   #9
eflatminor
Private
Rep

Quote:
I thought part of the Republican platform was less government.
Don't know, I'm not a Republican.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2016, 06:08 PM   #10
SumBMWGuy
Major
Rep

Quote:
You're correct, but I'm only commenting on the refusing service part...and the irony of protesting that by refusing service.
Still not irony. You are trying to compare 2 very different things.

For this situation to be ironic, it would have to be more "tit for tat." Such as, if the Sate imposed a law that stated no homosexual doctor may perform surgery on a patient without consent. Said law was written by Elmer J Fudd. Mr Fudd gets into an auto wreck, and is unconscious as he is brought into the hospital. The only Dr. in town, Dr. Feelgood, is an openly gay man. Well, Dr. Feelgood can only operate on Elmer, if he gets consent, but Mr Fudd is unconscious. Elmer Fudd dies there in the hospital.

Isn't that Ironic, don-cha-think.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2016, 06:22 PM   #11
eflatminor
Private
Rep

Quote:
Still not irony. You are trying to compare 2 very different things.
Irony impairment. Appears to an epidemic.

Quote:
For this situation to be ironic, it would have to be more "tit for tat."
Which is exactly what it is. The state allows people to refuse service so I'm going to protest that by refusing service. HIGHLY ironic!

Quote:
Such as, if the Sate imposed a law that stated no homosexual doctor may perform surgery on a patient without consent. Said law was written by Elmer J Fudd. Mr Fudd gets into an auto wreck, and is unconscious as he is brought into the hospital. The only Dr. in town, Dr. Feelgood, is an openly gay man. Well, Dr. Feelgood can only operate on Elmer, if he gets consent, but Mr Fudd is unconscious. Elmer Fudd dies there in the hospital.
Also ironic. Doesn't change the fact that protesting a law that allows one to refuse service by refusing service is ironic.

Quote:
Isn't that Ironic, don-cha-think.
Ah yes, Alanis. Another irony impaired person. The only thing ironic about that song is that it's a song about irony that uses no examples of actual irony.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2016, 06:26 PM   #12
SumBMWGuy
Major
Rep

Let's agree to disagree.

The more important part is that 3 states, so far, to create laws that specifically discriminate against groups of people. So far, it's not working out real well for these states.
Appreciate 1
      04-14-2016, 08:42 PM   #13
Navy Doc
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 335i e93

It's all based on religious believes and these fanatics that insist everyone follow their holy book rules.
Appreciate 2
      04-14-2016, 09:55 PM   #14
bbbbmw
Major General
Rep
Drives: 135i

As I understand it, the laws passed in NC and MS are "bathroom laws" - banning people from using whatever bathroom or locker room they please (vs. men in men's, and women in women's)? The media campaigns have presented this as transgender discrimination, as opposed to standard worldwide practice for all of human history.

Prior to this, people would take note if some pervert was following your spouse or children into the "wrong" bathroom. Cops would be called, and the perv might wind up with a beating before they got there. Now that will likely be a "hate crime," and the perverts get a free pass, lawsuits, etc.

Under the new law, as serial child molester or serial rapist cannot be denied access to the opposite gender restroom. Does that make sense?

The real irony here is reality: Race and gender are now what you "identify" with, not what your DNA, etc. says you are. And further irony that people try to defend that concept. The Emperor's clothes are stunning!

Edit: And Springsteen - he's a real Pillar of the Community. Note the opening lyrics of Hungry Heart:

Got a wife and kids in Baltimore, Jack
I went out for a ride and I never went back
Like a river that don't know where it's flowing
I took a wrong turn and I just kept going

So he walked out on his wife and kids. Loser.

Last edited by bbbbmw; 04-14-2016 at 10:03 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2016, 10:45 PM   #15
Navy Doc
Private First Class
Rep

It involves more than which bathroom a person can use. Mississippi's HB1523 clearly "legalizes" dicremination aginst LGBTs based on religious beliefs. It offers freedom to religious persons to deny goods and services. Such as denying marriage licenses, hiring, firing and repremanding employees, housing decisions to name a few. All this based on a religious belief.

HB1523 - SECTION 2. The sincerely held religious beliefs or moral convictions protected by this act are the belief or conviction that:
(c) Male (man) or female (woman) refer to an individual's immutable biological sex as objectively determined by anatomy and genetics at time of birth.
Appreciate 1
      04-14-2016, 11:17 PM   #16
bbbbmw
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Navy Doc
It involves more than which bathroom a person can use. Mississippi's HB1523 clearly "legalizes" dicremination aginst LGBTs based on religious beliefs. It offers freedom to religious persons to deny goods and services. Such as denying marriage licenses, hiring, firing and repremanding employees, housing decisions to name a few. All this based on a religious belief.

HB1523 - SECTION 2. The sincerely held religious beliefs or moral convictions protected by this act are the belief or conviction that:
(c) Male (man) or female (woman) refer to an individual's immutable biological sex as objectively determined by anatomy and genetics at time of birth.
...or moral beliefs. Are you saying that only religious people have morals?

In 2004, MS voters passed a constitutional amendment that said marriage is between one man and one woman. It would appear that this law is intended to restate that voter-supported belief.
      04-14-2016, 11:26 PM   #17
dzvero
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 M$4 F82

Its mother nature who is against gays
Appreciate 1
      04-14-2016, 11:31 PM   #18
Navy Doc
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbbmw View Post
...or moral beliefs.
Moral convictions. Either way this bill is based on religious beliefs. Unless you have been living under a rock the last year it's easy to see that the religious is up in arms about the recent increasing acceptance of LGBTs. So their play is to get their religious buddies that are in office to pass laws to protect their self created right to discriminate against people because they choose a different lifestyle. Disgusting and disturbing. i applaud the corporations and individuals boycotting these states. I hope more jump onboard to show these states that this is not the American way.
Appreciate 2
      04-14-2016, 11:42 PM   #19
Navy Doc
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:

In 2004, MS voters passed a constitutional amendment that said marriage is between one man and one woman. It would appear that this law is intended to restate that voter-supported belief.
And in 2014 that was overturned by the U.S. District court for Mississippi and eventually went to the Supreme Court in 2015 which upheld the districts court decision.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2016, 12:06 AM   #20
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 325i Arctic

Why should one's lifestyle choice dictate which bathroom they use? If my lifestyle is to be a swinging hipster 50 year old man and just walk into the traditionally ladies showers at the gym, do you want your mother/wife/sister/daughter to have to put up with my saggy balls dragging across their shower stalls and benches where they change their clothes?????
Appreciate 1
      04-15-2016, 07:36 AM   #21
bbbbmw
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

And in 2014 that was overturned by the U.S. District court for Mississippi and eventually went to the Supreme Court in 2015 which upheld the districts court decision.
So the courts overturned a popular vote, in multiple states. I think that's called "legislating from the bench."
      04-15-2016, 07:43 AM   #22
bbbbmw
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
...or moral beliefs.
Moral convictions. Either way this bill is based on religious beliefs. Unless you have been living under a rock the last year it's easy to see that the religious is up in arms about the recent increasing acceptance of LGBTs. So their play is to get their religious buddies that are in office to pass laws to protect their self created right to discriminate against people because they choose a different lifestyle. Disgusting and disturbing. i applaud the corporations and individuals boycotting these states. I hope more jump onboard to show these states that this is not the American way.
Or, people are upset because the courts decided to overturn a popular vote. You are jumping to the conclusion that this is religiously motivated, while the motivation of the courts is "pure." I would certainly disagree.

And what does this have to do with pervs using the wrong bathroom or locker room? Perhaps hate and judgement for the beliefs of others (the beliefs that created our current society), are blinding some people to simple reason and fact.