BMW
X1 / X2
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board Politics/Religion Switzerland and its relationship with the EU

06-20-2016, 04:40 PM   #1
sygazelle
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2014 328i M-Sport, 2019 X5 40i

Switzerland and its relationship with the EU

I live in California and I have Swiss relatives coming to visit at the end of the week. Given UK's upcoming EU referendum vote, this topic is likely to come up. I can play dumb (not hard to do for me) or I can learn a little in the next couple of days to at least carry on a conversation with my Swiss house guests.

I know Switzerland has a special relationship with the EU. What do the other countries think of Switzerland's unique position? Hate, love, indifference?

Is there anything about the Swiss model that the UK could/should adopt if the referendum vote is to leave the EU?

I'm beginning my Google search this evening to get a little bit aware. Any links, opinions, insights, from forum members would be appreciated.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2016, 12:25 AM   #2
GuidoK
#buildnotbought
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0i ESS TS2+

I think if other europeans think of the swiss, they dont think of them as 'those guys that arent in the EU'

I also think that the UK and Switzerland are pretty much uncomparable
Z4 3.0i | ESS TS2+ | Quaife ATB LSD | Brembo/BMW performance BBK front/rear | Schrick FI cams | Schmiedmann headers+cats | Powerflex/strongflex PU bushings | Vibra-technics engine mounts | H&R anti rollbars | KW V3 coilovers | Sachs performance clutch
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2016, 12:42 AM   #3
Ragged Edge
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: ED '15F80gone, ...'16F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by sygazelle View Post
I know Switzerland has a special relationship with the EU. What do the other countries think of Switzerland's unique position? Hate, love, indifference?

Is there anything about the Swiss model that the UK could/should adopt if the referendum vote is to leave the EU?
UK and CH are in different situations, so not comparable. Switzerland is unequivocally part of Europe, just not a part of the monetary system, or the Schengen Zone (common passports and freedom of movement). Feels like it always has entering or leaving the CH, so indifference.
Not sure how the UK will change if they leave, as the pound will remain and so will the Channel crossing. I just think the economy will suffer as trade agreements change.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuidoK View Post
I think if other europeans think of the swiss, they dont think of them as 'those guys that arent in the EU'

I also think that the UK and Switzerland are pretty much uncomparable
Agree.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2016, 12:53 AM   #4
sygazelle
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2014 328i M-Sport, 2019 X5 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragged Edge View Post
UK and CH are in different situations, so not comparable. Switzerland is unequivocally part of Europe, just not a part of the monetary system, or the Schengen Zone (common passports and freedom of movement). Feels like it always has entering or leaving the CH, so indifference.
Not sure how the UK will change if they leave, as the pound will remain and so will the Channel crossing. I just think the economy will suffer as trade agreements change.

Agree.

Thanks to both of you for your reponses.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2016, 08:54 PM   #5
cays
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 3 Germans

Part of my family is Swiss (Zurich/Lucerne area). They feel the EU might have 10 yrs to disintegration, reason being too much top heavy imposed bureaucracy without national or popular input and control. Plus, high levels of EU corruption (over 150-200B/yr), but that's just their opinion. They do believe EU policies are generally unsustainable over the long haul.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2016, 09:46 PM   #6
Delta0311
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335xi E92 2016 228xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by supernoob View Post
I was in Zurich two years ago. I ordered four cans of beer at a McDonald's to go with my Big Mac combo meal. At like 3 am.

I thought that was a really special thing about Switzerland.
They serve beer at every McDonalds in Europe. In Poland you can get beer in virtually any store, restaurant, and fast food joint.

Last edited by Delta0311; 06-25-2016 at 08:08 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2016, 02:44 AM   #7
GuidoK
#buildnotbought
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0i ESS TS2+

Quote:
Originally Posted by cays View Post
, but that's just their opinion.
And their opinion perfectly connects with what the Swiss generally think is important.
They are independant, value self control (politically) with their referendums and have a nationalistic nature. And they are very strickt
Z4 3.0i | ESS TS2+ | Quaife ATB LSD | Brembo/BMW performance BBK front/rear | Schrick FI cams | Schmiedmann headers+cats | Powerflex/strongflex PU bushings | Vibra-technics engine mounts | H&R anti rollbars | KW V3 coilovers | Sachs performance clutch
Appreciate 0