BMW
X1 / X2
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X1 (F48) and X2 (F39) Forums General BMW X1 Forum (F48) Your thoughts on options...

09-15-2018, 05:30 AM   #1
pandauk
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X1

Your thoughts on options...

Hi there,
Recently ordered a new X1 sDrive 2.0i X-Line with the following options, and am constantly getting second thoughts on some of them after reading the threads here and looking at everyone's pics in the photo thread. I have picked the following, but would value thoughts on anything else people might add, and also thoughts on whether anything I've gone for isn't worth it...

1) Pro Nav Package (for the HUD and Car Play)
2) Car Play activation (can't wait for iOS12 and Waze...)
3) Regular folding mirrors (are these heated? neither these nor the dimming ones make mention of heating on the configurator)
4) auto-dimming centre mirror

I'm torn as to whether the wireless charging and enhanced BT is worth £395 (I don't think it is, though suppose could also retrofit at a later date)... anyone got this option and thinking it was a mistake/good call?

Sport front seats - I understand that they've changed the standard ones in the X1 at the moment, but are these an easy or impossible retrofit? I bet they probably cost a bomb if doing it afterwards... £400 extra seems a fair price... but just not sure.

Front parking sensors for £295 seems to be a bit of a waste... though shocking it doesn't come included with the rear imo...

Any thoughts would be much appreciated - I still have some time to make changes...
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2018, 09:50 AM   #2
spitpilot
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 230iX, 2017 X1 M sp X

We didn't go with all the electronic gizmos (except for driver's assistance package which in 2017 was the only way to get back up camera...required by the Feds in 2018...didn't want to have a one year old car w/o a required safety feature)...spent our options budget on M Sport package..in 2017 that gave you sport suspension, seats and the cleaner looking front and back facades. Main reason was seats and suspension, have always had "sporty handling" vehicles, and this was our first foray into something this big...so wanted to be sure it was responsive enough..it is.

We also opted for the sunroof...have had one for decades, so its almost a must have for the wife, and if you're touring out in nature at slow speeds, it brings in the smells and sounds of the forest.

NO RFT's!...You can't run on em more than 50 miles flat...so if you're way out in the country you're in trouble if you ruin a tire...plus they are hard riding and expensive. Most shops won't patch even an small nail hole if you've driven on the tire due to liability issues with tire mfg's range restriction...so instead of a $20 patch/rebalance you're out $$$ for new tire!

Other option I'd strongly recommend is the "sliding reclining rear seat"...it was only $330 or something like that...we bought it for the extra rear passenger leg room (not getting any younger, don't "fold up" the way we used to) not realizing that it was the only way to get the electric seat releases in the cargo hold! They are a real useful item. Plus on on first road trip we slid the seat forward and gained just enough extra luggage space that we didn't have to stow anything on the rear seat...don't like to leave stuff exposed when we're playing tourist these days.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2018, 11:18 AM   #3
mrexcuse
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: Tiguan, M2 Comp, 330 Touring

In Canada I went with the “Premium Essentials Package”

The vehicle has the following:
Sunroof
Sport Seats (100% essential option - spend the money on this)
Comfort access and memory seats
LED headlights
Power trunk and kick sensor thing
Rear camera and rear parking sensors - front sensors are probably a waste
Folding mirrors are nice for tight spaces - came with my package, not sure if I would get if I had to pay for it as a separate option
Rear dimming mirror is good only if you do a lot of driving at night, I like having it.

What I wish it had:
- Adjustable rear seats - this would be convenient as I am unable to lay down standard size luggage due to the wheels hitting the trunk - IF I was able to adjust the rear seats would fit perfectly lengthwise
- CarPlay now that Waze will be supported with iOS 12 but I just utilize my cellphone so I don’t miss the wider screen

Other notes
- I like the faux leather as well since it is way more durable than standard leather as I bought this vehicle for SUV duties, camping, skiing etc
- Roof rails and roof box also increase the storage immensely, negates the need for a larger vehicle and is easy to install when required.

I have the RFT’s as additional trunk space was more important for me - they are not as much a premium as they once were plus when I drive with clients it is nice to not have to change a tire, we can get to the destination I know I can arrive there safely.

Hope this helps!
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2018, 03:00 AM   #4
Pganders
Second Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: X1 M Sport 30e

I'm not sure what the upgraded seats are like but still look a bit flat.. I went for the sports seats and have no regrets - very comfortable and at the price a bargain. I suspect these are not retrofittable at least not without substantial cost. I would try both seats before deciding.

Also, be aware that the front parking sensors price includes the Park Assist feature so again a reasonable price when considered.

I think the UK market comes as standard with the sliding rear bench seat.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2018, 04:13 AM   #5
Abh29
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW. X1 f48. 20i xLine xDrive

Hi,
We have a 20i XDrive xLine built Feb this year. We bought it as a used car in June with 2000 miles on the clock to save waiting 14 weeks for a build which would only have been 2 wd.
It has been built with sport seats (S481A)and lumber support (S488A). For us the lumber support is an essential requirement.
My only big disappointment is the LEC headlight with "expanded content" (S5A4A) dealer does not know what they are supposed to do. Compared with the zenons I had in my previous X1 they are a poor second. Previous car had Auto Dipping this does not.
It has also been built with Y spoke 566 wheels ( non run on flat) which look nice but are very hard to clean. I would have opted for ROF but the ride on these are very good.

Last edited by Abh29; 09-16-2018 at 04:20 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2018, 04:20 PM   #6
pandauk
Private First Class
Rep

Cheers all for the insights

Yes, RFT are a no-no, I've emailed to make sure they're not on the car. I think I'm going to bite the bullet on the sports seats too, £400 now better than god knows how much later - with the almost £2k of options I'm taking, will see if a deal can be made. Luckily the xLine (and maybe others) come with the sliding bench as standard, which is a welcome free option. Just wish something as basic as folding mirrors came with the car - I do feel bit robbed that it isn't standard.

Did some more digging and apparently all the mirrors are heated, folding (with or without dazzle) or not. They come on automatically with a cold temperature, but apparently take forever to defrost
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2018, 05:30 PM   #7
YellowCone
Private
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW 340i MSport

I must be the only person on this forum who doesn’t like the sport seats. They’re too narrow and too firm for me... They’re nothing like the sport seats in other models in the lineup. I had sport seats in my 3 Series and they were great. The X1s, not so much.

When I first ordered mine without them I was worried I’d made a mistake. My fears dissolved away quickly once I’d spent a bit of time in it. The old SE/xLine seats were terrible. The new ones are not, so It was a no brainier for me, stick with a slightly flatter design that I find plenty comfortable enough and save money at the same time.

Each to their own, but I really wouldn’t class them as an ‘essential’ item, certainly not since they were updated anyway.

Last edited by YellowCone; 09-17-2018 at 07:46 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2018, 11:49 PM   #8
Abh29
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW. X1 f48. 20i xLine xDrive

Seats:--- from a personal point I would not have a car without the fully adjustable lumber support ,but we both have a bad back. I also do like the pull out extension on the sport seats gives more support.
But I still find the sport seats in my Z3 the most comfortable seat of all.
I understand the mirror heating is connected to the rear window heater
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2018, 12:19 AM   #9
F48_Driver
First Lieutenant
Rep

In the US, you can't just pick up the rear parking sensors which kinda sucks its $800 dollars for both sets.

I find it a waste to get the fronts so I just opted for no sensors!

I second the sliding and reclining seats, they are a cheap option that comes in handy.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2018, 04:14 AM   #10
ChilledOut
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 S18 D Auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pganders View Post
I'm not sure what the upgraded seats are like but still look a bit flat.. I went for the sports seats and have no regrets - very comfortable and at the price a bargain. I suspect these are not retrofittable at least not without substantial cost. I would try both seats before deciding.

Also, be aware that the front parking sensors price includes the Park Assist feature so again a reasonable price when considered.

I think the UK market comes as standard with the sliding rear bench seat.
You must opt for the Sports Seats. I didn’t and as ex motor trade I have driven literally hundreds of different vehicles and have to say the standard seats, in leather, are the most uncomfortable I have ever sat in.
I think the problems are... the central part of seat base is only 12” wide, the seats aren’t deep (long?) enough and there’s also a double row of stitching across the leading edge of the seat which hasn’t stretched with the leather and digs into the thighs.
So after only 12 months I’m getting rid of the car.
So PLEASE try out both types of seat and don’t make a £35 k mistake like me.

PS anyone want a set of winter tyres on BMW Y spoke alloys?! Pm me if you do!
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2018, 02:08 PM   #11
pandauk
Private First Class
Rep

Thanks for the heads up all In the end I went for:

1) Pro Nav Package
2) Car Play activation
3) Regular folding mirrors
4) auto-dimming centre mirror
5) privacy glass
6) sports seats

Should be coming any day now....
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2018, 12:39 PM   #12
RobinLegin
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 Xline 2i petrol

Maybe too late but if not make sure the total list price is below £40k. Otherwise the car will be liable for road fund licence of £500 pa for the first 5 years of its life on uk roads!
Appreciate 1
pandauk28.00
      10-29-2018, 03:09 AM   #13
pandauk
Private First Class
Rep

Ooof. Forgot about that. Good call. I think I just about scrape under thank god.
Appreciate 0