BMW X1 (F48) and X2 (F39) Forums General BMW X1 Forum (F48) X3 B48 surprise

08-21-2018, 11:36 PM   #1
tigger_643
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i xDrive sedan

X3 B48 surprise

So I rented a 2018 X3 for a drive out of town with friends this past weekend and I couldn't help but notice that the B48 is a very strong engine. With 4 adults and bags in the back, it did not lack for passing power, and thankfully, I set the speed limit on to prevent myself from getting into trouble (50km over the speed limit in Ontario = roadside seizure). But this had me questioning: is this engine better in some ways than the N55? The X3 seemed to have much less lag for sure than my car when I put my foot down. The transmission shifted smoother (not that mine isn't already smooth but it can snap your head back between first and second at low speeds) and it was easy to get up to highway speeds very quickly. Before I bought my car (a 2014 335i), I had rented a 330i the month before. When I drove the 335i, it seemed to be less energetic than the 330i - at least in comfort mode. Sport mode is just insane. Has anyone else driven models with these engines back to back and what are your thoughts? I still love the sound of the 6 cylinder though, no matter what.

Other than the engine, idrive 6, the updated graphics for the parking sensor, the 6wb cluster ... .. though id4 is faster. I definitely want to switch my cluster now. Also nice that they added some options to the idrive menu which needed to be coded before on older models, such as being able to fold the mirrors automatically when locking the car. The LED carpet is a useless gimmick. And a 2018 already having electrical gremlins would annoy me so much if I had bought this vehicle - the interior accent lighting only worked on the front passenger door, came on randomly for every other area while we were driving along, then decided to go off and just leave the front passenger door lit. The auto-start/stop is also much smoother. I could find no difference in the steering feel between comfort and sport mode. Both were equally light. Just rambling as I reminisce...

Let me know if anyone thinks the B48 is as good as or better than the N55 (at least for highway driving).
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2018, 09:50 AM   #2
OUGrad05
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2023 i4 and 2022 Acura MDX

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigger_643 View Post
So I rented a 2018 X3 for a drive out of town with friends this past weekend and I couldn't help but notice that the B48 is a very strong engine. With 4 adults and bags in the back, it did not lack for passing power, and thankfully, I set the speed limit on to prevent myself from getting into trouble (50km over the speed limit in Ontario = roadside seizure). But this had me questioning: is this engine better in some ways than the N55? The X3 seemed to have much less lag for sure than my car when I put my foot down. The transmission shifted smoother (not that mine isn't already smooth but it can snap your head back between first and second at low speeds) and it was easy to get up to highway speeds very quickly. Before I bought my car (a 2014 335i), I had rented a 330i the month before. When I drove the 335i, it seemed to be less energetic than the 330i - at least in comfort mode. Sport mode is just insane. Has anyone else driven models with these engines back to back and what are your thoughts? I still love the sound of the 6 cylinder though, no matter what.

Other than the engine, idrive 6, the updated graphics for the parking sensor, the 6wb cluster ... .. though id4 is faster. I definitely want to switch my cluster now. Also nice that they added some options to the idrive menu which needed to be coded before on older models, such as being able to fold the mirrors automatically when locking the car. The LED carpet is a useless gimmick. And a 2018 already having electrical gremlins would annoy me so much if I had bought this vehicle - the interior accent lighting only worked on the front passenger door, came on randomly for every other area while we were driving along, then decided to go off and just leave the front passenger door lit. The auto-start/stop is also much smoother. I could find no difference in the steering feel between comfort and sport mode. Both were equally light. Just rambling as I reminisce...

Let me know if anyone thinks the B48 is as good as or better than the N55 (at least for highway driving).
It's not, the N55 is better. I get excellent MPG out of my N55 and in the real world the difference between the N55 and B48 on an efficiency scale isn't that big.
elbmw812.50
      09-18-2018, 01:00 PM   #3
YellowCone
Private
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW 340i MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by OUGrad05 View Post
It's not, the N55 is better. I get excellent MPG out of my N55 and in the real world the difference between the N55 and B48 on an efficiency scale isn't that big.
I couldn’t disagree more, having owned both. My B48 X1 can top 50mpg on a good motorway run. Its much more flexible than the lower output N55s ever were. There is only one way the N55 is better, and that’s the sound it makes.

You’re always gonna get complaints when you swap a 6cyl for a 4cyl, but if that’s what bothers you go for a B58 instead - that ones better still.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2018, 01:14 PM   #4
OUGrad05
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by YellowCone View Post
Quote:
I couldn’t disagree more, having owned both. My B48 X1 can top 50mpg on a good motorway run. Its much more flexible than the lower output N55s ever were. There is only one way the N55 is better, and that’s the sound it makes.

You’re always gonna get complaints when you swap a 6cyl for a 4cyl, but if that’s what bothers you go for a B58 instead - that ones better still.
Quote:
Quote:

what is that in US mpg? 40ish? that's pretty solid if so.

I did recently get 34.7 on a road trip and the six cylinder makes a lot more power than the b48
      09-18-2018, 03:35 PM   #5
YellowCone
Private
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW 340i MSport

Quote:

I did recently get 34.7 on a road trip and the six cylinder makes a lot more power than the b48
By my calculation my UK figure of 51.2mpg works out at 42.6 US. I’m pretty happy with it. That is a personal best rather than a daily average to be fair.

This downsizing trend in the Automotive world is only gonna go one way, what with fuel prices, insurance premiums and the increasing push toward EVs.

Of all the new generation engines coming through The one I’d really like a play with is the S58, I won’t lie. But I wouldn’t be being honest if I didn’t say that the B48 really took me by surprise in day to day use. It may be small but it certainly punches way above its weight. They did a great job developing it.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2018, 03:37 PM   #6
OUGrad05
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

By my calculation my UK figure of 51.2mpg works out at 42.6 US. I’m pretty happy with it. That is a personal best rather than a daily average to be fair.

This downsizing trend in the Automotive world is only gonna go one way, what with fuel prices, insurance premiums and the increasing push toward EVs.

Of all the new generation engines coming through The one I’d really like a play with is the S58, I won’t lie. But I wouldn’t be being honest if I didn’t say that the B48 really took me by surprise in day to day use. It may be small but it certainly punches way above its weight. They did a great job developing it.
42 is damn solid IMO
      09-20-2018, 09:57 AM   #7
spitpilot
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 230iX, 2017 X1 M sp X

Quote:
42 is damn solid IMO
Yeah...the only time I even come close to that is on the run down HWY 80 from Reno to Sacramento...where you lose 1000's of feet in altitude on the route! Otherwise, I'm "on it" enough of the time to barely break into the low 30's.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2018, 09:59 AM   #8
OUGrad05
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by spitpilot View Post
Yeah...the only time I even come close to that is on the run down HWY 80 from Reno to Sacramento...where you lose 1000's of feet in altitude on the route! Otherwise, I'm "on it" enough of the time to barely break into the low 30's.
Ya, kind of a bummer :\