BMW
X1 / X2
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X1 (F48) and X2 (F39) Forums General BMW X1 Forum (F48) Replacement windscreen

07-11-2021, 04:19 AM   #1
Semi Retired
Private
Rep
Drives: X1 2.0d Xline xdrive White

Replacement windscreen

I have been following this forum for 5 years but never posted before. Overall IÂ’m extremely pleased with my fully loaded xdrive xline love it, IÂ’ve had the usual ERG valve issues/replacement under warranty I might add, but my latest issue is frustrating to say the least. Two weeks ago I was reluctantly forced to change the windscreen, I say reluctantly because I thought it was repairable, but not according to Auto Windscreens. The damage was right in the middle of the rain censer. Because I have HUD and wanted to retain the BMW authenticity I managed to persuade my insurance company to replace the screen with an OM screen. All well and good you might say, job done. No unfortunately the screen fitting went fine, then the issue started, the technician recalibrated the camera but on several short trips to the supermarket the connected drive crashed over the next few days, so I thought maybe connection issues. Last week I did a short break to Wales and back, on the way the system crashed twice, on the way home 20 times in 50 miles, then locked out. Now back home and on a round trip of about 7 miles it crashed 5 times. Anyone any ideas please, donÂ’t really want an expensive trip to the dealers
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2021, 04:26 AM   #2
Peter_R
Air Vice Marshall
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X1 LCI xDrive 2.0i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Semi Retired View Post
I have been following this forum for 5 years but never posted before. Overall IÂ’m extremely pleased with my fully loaded xdrive xline love it, IÂ’ve had the usual ERG valve issues/replacement under warranty I might add, but my latest issue is frustrating to say the least. Two weeks ago I was reluctantly forced to change the windscreen, I say reluctantly because I thought it was repairable, but not according to Auto Windscreens. The damage was right in the middle of the rain censer. Because I have HUD and wanted to retain the BMW authenticity I managed to persuade my insurance company to replace the screen with an OM screen. All well and good you might say, job done. No unfortunately the screen fitting went fine, then the issue started, the technician recalibrated the camera but on several short trips to the supermarket the connected drive crashed over the next few days, so I thought maybe connection issues. Last week I did a short break to Wales and back, on the way the system crashed twice, on the way home 20 times in 50 miles, then locked out. Now back home and on a round trip of about 7 miles it crashed 5 times. Anyone any ideas please, donÂ’t really want an expensive trip to the dealers
Trying to diagnose problems on a forum such as this is fraught with dangers. Do you not have an extended warranty in place?

My first thought is that you should go back to the technician/company that recalibrated the camera because it may be that the job was not carried out correctly. If no joy there then it may make sense to bite the bullet and go to a dealer.
2020 BMW X1 xDrive 2.0i MSport (F48).
2022 MB EQB 300 4MATIC AMG Line Premium
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2021, 08:14 AM   #3
Semi Retired
Private
Rep

Hi Peter agreed my first thoughts, but didn't want to maybe make things worse. Everything seems to work, until it crashes, system reboots from the start screen after 20/30sec. My first thoughts were a loose connection in the electrical connections in the mirror housing, but the more I think about it I think not, just hope that when he plugged his gadget into the ODB port he hasn't fried anything. Just wondering if there's a reset that can easily be done
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2021, 09:09 AM   #4
CnSky
Major
Ireland
Rep
Drives: BMW 530E 2017

Don't think this is screen related but your probably on the correct trail with a loose connection but what faults codes are you getting? if the camera has an issue it usually just advises certain features as not available.

Think you may have a much bigger issue here.

I replaced the screen on our X1 recently with HUD and camera with a non oem one and no worries, the company knew they needed a special screen when checking our VIN and had one ready when we arrived.

No issues since.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2021, 11:15 AM   #5
Semi Retired
Private
Rep

Hi thanks for the reply, unfortunately no extended warranty chance you take I guess. Screen all good replacement was direct from BM. No error codes , it just crashes now every few miles, and auto reboots/start up screen with "BMW connected drive " No issues at all prior to having screen changed, it's concerning, I don't want to mess with mirror housing cover, not quite sure how it comes apart, it guess it's not difficult, but I don't want to give anyone the opportunity to say that I've caused the issue
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2021, 11:23 AM   #6
oakey46
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 2 A/T 220i Lux Auto 1.5

I had my screen replaced Feb '21 after having a large, but shallow 'chip' in the line of vision, which exceeded UK acceptable limit. It happened as a car was travelling in the opposite direction close to a roundabout, but not possible to get any details.
Insurance company agreed the replacement, although I had to pay a £95 excess and the job was done on my driveway by Autog....
Fitter was very careful, re-calibrating the screen after fitting, including taking the car for a 2-3 mile drive for the calibration to take effect. He had attempted to repair the chip, but there wasn't sufficient depth from the impact. Just enough to render it unrepairable!
Haven't experienced any issues since and it was interesting that whilst he fitted a screen of same brand (Chinese manufacturer, Fuyao) as that fitted when the car was built, the replacement is actually an acoustic windscreen.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2021, 12:27 PM   #7
Semi Retired
Private
Rep

If the truth be known, they're probably all made in a Pilkintons factory even possibly China
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2021, 06:01 PM   #8
oakey46
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 2 A/T 220i Lux Auto 1.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Semi Retired View Post
If the truth be known, they're probably all made in a Pilkintons factory even possibly China
Fuyao is, I understand, one of the largest auto glass producers in the world. According to Wikipedia, customers include large international automobile manufacturers such as Ford, General Motors, Subaru, and Volkswagen Group. It was originally established in 1987 as a joint venture company and is headquartered in Fuqing, China. Obviously, BMW is also one of its customers based on the fact that all the glass in my X1, except the rear window, shows as made by Fuyao, badged BMW. The replacement windscreen is simply badged as Fuyao.
Appreciate 1