X1 / X2
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X1 (F48) and X2 (F39) Forums General BMW X1 Forum (F48) Driver Visor Light

10-19-2017, 06:07 PM   #1
Evool
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW M240i

Driver Visor Light

My driver side sun visor light stopped working so I took it into my nearby BMW dealership to have it looked at. The service advisor told me that I needed to schedule an appointment to have a day where I could drop off the car and pick up a loaner because the car had some recalls that needed to be taken care of.

He said it had to do with something with my ECM. Has this happened to anyone else?

I've checked various places online and didn't find any noticeable recalls for the X1. For what it's worth I have 2016 BMW X1.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2017, 06:35 PM   #2
808X1
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F48 X1 M-Sport

It's not a recall, but more of a TSB, I guess, in relation to updating the ECM. There are a few discussions on this topic in this forum and another BMW forum. If you have any eSys or Bimmercode codings done, you will have to redo them again after the ECM update.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evool View Post
He said it had to do with something with my ECM. Has this happened to anyone else?

I've checked various places online and didn't find any noticeable recalls for the X1. For what it's worth I have 2016 BMW X1.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2017, 07:19 PM   #3
Evool
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW M240i

Oh cool, that's not a big deal.

Now I'm trying to figure out why my driver visor light isn't working.. I swapped the lights from the passenger and the driver side and found that the driver LED lights work on the passenger side. So it can't be an issue with the LEDs themselves. I also checked the fuses in the glovebox and both fuses were okay.

I'm at loss at what could be the issue.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2017, 01:24 AM   #4
gnx
Όλα ρόδες
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
It happened to our passenger side visor light. It would blink while opening the flap and stay off. After a week it started working again. What is that ECM you guys mentioned?
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2017, 04:32 AM   #5
Heathwood
Private
Wales
Rep
Drives: X1 X-Drive 20i Med Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnx View Post
What is that ECM you guys mentioned?
I think the acronym is Electronically Commutated Motor, although I've no idea why this should relate to the mirror light.

I hope this helps.

Appreciate 1
gnx759.50
      10-26-2017, 11:55 AM   #6
dudezi
Private
Rep
Drives: X5

the visor has 2 contact points to the roof, one is fixed, the other is a clip-in which allows you to pull the visor out and move it to the side window, i think the metal clip at this point(the base on the roof) controls the signal to the visor light(the light will not turn on if the visor is pulled out). This was problem on my car, I pushed the visor with some force at this contact point few times and light has been working fine since.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2017, 05:52 PM   #7
spitpilot
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 230iX, 2017 X1 M sp X

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnx View Post
It happened to our passenger side visor light. It would blink while opening the flap and stay off. After a week it started working again. What is that ECM you guys mentioned?
ECM is the engine control module...aka "main computer" that replaces the old distributor ignition and carb with electronic spark timing and fuel injection control...the ECM has evolved over time to control many other functions in the vehicle...software upgrades to correct driveability issues and improve performance are common and require you to visit the dealer for installation..maybe in the future we'll just get WIFI downloads while in Starbucks....
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2021, 08:54 PM   #8
kote4ka777
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW X1

Had similar problem with my wife's 2017 x1. Your driver side visor (unlike the passenger one) can slide toward passenger side when opened, pretty common for all types of cars. But the problem is that if you will not retract your visor back all the way to the default position (and it literally takes just couple of millimeters to lose contact), you will not have contact between the switch and your light bulb. So in order to make it work, push your visor from passenger side toward driver door and you should get your visor light back. I wish I knew that before I tore my visor apart in a search of a missing contact ))
Appreciate 0