BMW
X1 / X2
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board Politics/Religion Welcome to NYC.. Impound your car for speed camera violations

02-13-2020, 06:08 AM   #45
vreihen16
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i3 BEV

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlpineWhite_SJ View Post
Now that you have more cameras, expect stricter front plate citations. Gotta be able to easily grab your plate to send that citation
Why do you think that Governor No-No wants to replace the state's mistake of issuing orange/blue license plates with easier-to-read-electronically dark letters on white backgrounds? I'm sure that the cashless toll read percentage on the orange plates is pretty bad, and the upcoming congestion pricing in lower Manhattan will likewise have poor read percentages if the plates aren't changed out by the time that is rolled out.

(Not bringing up the debate on whether the current plates are orange or gold.)
      02-13-2020, 10:28 AM   #46
R3dliner
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 18 M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooolone2 View Post
Hahaha, you exposed yourself here, you're not from NY are you!? A pedestrian has never killed a driver, lol, that's a good one!

Ummmmm, ok so when will equal application of the laws then be applied? Jay walkers? Pedestrian walking and texting, or even video calls I've seen, completely oblivious or uncaring about their whereabouts or what's going on around themselves. Public consumption of marijuana is out of control. Just walk down Madison Ave at lunch time. And the public right if way is a broad statement which is not based upon reality. 8 to 80 and you're cognizant of your responsibility as well in reagrd to roadways. Yes, a pedestrian has the right of way, when actually in a crosswalk, when actually crossing with the light, when not irresponsibly placing themselves in harm's way. Or do you propose a pedestrian walking along a highway has the right of way too? Bicycle lanes are a hoot! City has spent millions upon millions to make them, and we see a bike here and there. Want to talk about those bike riders who ride opposite the flow of traffic? They have the right of way too vs a vehicle? How about vs a pedestrian? Aren't those lanes for bikes only?

As for the Spd Camera operation 10mph threshold for activation, you're obviously a Dunning Kruger Graduate because you don't know what you're talking about.

Have a nice day!
Well said. This dude och has an IQ of a 5th grader
If I count how many people blindly walking across the sidewalk when it's red, 99% of the time they are looking at their phones.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2020, 10:51 AM   #47
zx10guy
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

Pssshh...

NYC has nothing on DC. The crooks in DC have grabbing money out of people down to a science. From the overly aggressive "brownies" and confusing/convoluted parking signs to the aggressive use of photo enforcement, I rarely drive into DC. DC has used fixed and mobile speed cameras which don't need to be near residential or school zones. They can be placed anywhere. DC also refuses to officially tell you if there is a grace over the speed limit before a ticket gets issued. So conceivably you can get a ticket for being 1 MPH over the limit. In contrast, the neighboring county in Maryland, Montgomery County, has officially stated you will only get a ticket if you're caught doing 12 MPH or over. DC also recently raised the fines for photo speed tickets. I forget how much over before the raping begins but the fines in this range start at $200.

And of course, DC also uses red light cameras prodigiously. There was even some discussion to turn those cameras into speed enforcement cameras by utilizing the ability for speed to be determined via the inductive loops in the pavement.

Oh and a private contractor runs both the speed and red light photo enforcement programs. They get a cut out of every ticket issued. Naw...no additional incentive for abuse there.

On the topic of parking enforcement, they'll give a ticket out for out of state laws even though you're in DC. I got hit a couple of times for not having a front tag even though the car wasn't registered in DC. My car was parked and the ticket wasn't even issued by MPD. It was the stupid brownies. They're so money hungry that you can still get a parking ticket for parking at a broken meter. Their policy is if the meter is broken, that space is unavailable. In a city where parking spaces are at a premium.
Appreciate 0