BMW
X1 / X2
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X1 (F48) and X2 (F39) Forums General BMW X2 Forum (F39) World Debut of BMW X2 Concept

09-29-2016, 02:49 PM   #111
bradleyland
TIM YOYO
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdnno98 View Post
Gotcha. Thanks guys. That's very depressing. I think I'm just going to do a European delivery M2 when I get to Italy anyways. Maybe an X3M for the wife.
You bet. It's not news I enjoy delivering

FWIW, my wife loves our X3.
Past: 2010 135i - TiAg Coral Red 6MT ///M-Sport
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2016, 02:51 PM   #112
C5 FOR
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G05 xDrive30d Mineral White

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozziewizzle
This thing doesn't look like a BMW. It looks like a Nissan, ford copycat of a car
Another faker, online twat who is being paid by some on line fubar company.....
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2016, 03:02 PM   #113
bigdnno98
Real Car Enthusiast
Germany
Rep
Drives: 340xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradleyland View Post

Really? Even with the N20 in there? I've never driven one, so I don't know.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2016, 03:09 PM   #114
ObsidianX
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 (LBB, 6MT)

I like the X2 concept. A few thoughts:

1) I would remove the roundels from the sides. I think two on the vehicle is sufficient (hood and trunk).

2) What is the deal with the rugged wheels? I can't imagine these would ever see the market on a road vehicle.

3) Love the hips of the vehicle from the rear. 00:44 into the second video posted at the beginning of this thread looks great in low light.

4) The blue center of the headlights is pretty neat. I am glad the Angel Eyes remained (even though they are no longer as round).

5) I'd love to run 275 width tires in the rear for an aggressive look. I hope the vehicle will support this tire size. I think it would match the overall aggressiveness of the design.

I would like to see the proposed M Sport aerodynamics package on a future X2 M35i. I think this would be very worthy addition to my garage.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2016, 03:22 PM   #115
ObsidianX
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 (LBB, 6MT)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradleyland View Post

Scott26 confirmed there will be a X1 M35i and a X2 M35i on the UKL platform. BMW must have another engine in development, or they have a tweaked version of the B48 with ~300hp they plan to employ in a transverse setup.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2016, 03:24 PM   #116
jzcrna
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Competition

Ladies and Gentlemen, I present you the Range Rover Evoque!
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2016, 03:31 PM   #117
Weiman
First Lieutenant
Sweden
Rep
Drives: BMW 116i M-Sport -14

Hmm, do the doors open? If so, HOW?
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2016, 04:00 PM   #118
heavystarch
one day...
United_States
Rep
Drives: Golf R tornado red

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKRAPOVICOWNS View Post
So every time BMW tries to make something different, sleeker, pushing the envelope, everyone cries because it looks like a Korean car? I seriously can't see that. Kudos to Korean automakers for trying something different, thing that automakers like Audi certainly never heard about it.

And don't worry guys, the G30 reveal its getting close. Those who like boring and bland designs, glorified 3er interior, will be very pleased with the g30. Just like the 7er..a "success"..in being boring as fck.
^^^^^^^^ SO MUCH THIS ^^^^^^^^

Options I'd like to see and features to keep or boot.
  • RWD and AWD variants (or just AWD...but of course it will be FWD...so there better be an AWD variant with RWD bias)
  • 3 standard variants:
  • "Urban-City" - "Luxury/Luxe" - "Sport-Dune"
  • X2M with the same engine as the M2...best have something to push against the GLA45 from MB.
  • MANUAL TRANSMISSION!!!! This is extremely unlikely but goddamnit I like fucking with my gears
  • NAPPA leather option. Fuck the fucking Dakota leather. Make it BMW Synthetic for base material or Nappa leather as the upgrade.
  • Keep the headlights. Sexy.
  • The grill upside down...hmmm not so sure but could grow on me
  • I love the side roundels...cool nod to the the old E9

It may not be pure in BMW design but it has elements and components of the BMW language. It's a forward looking design that is meant to attract a younger generation that may not be as rigid about more classical BMW design cues. BMW probably needs to make a bold move like this (as they did with i3/8) in order to attract new buyers to the brand.

Last edited by heavystarch; 09-29-2016 at 04:19 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2016, 04:20 PM   #119
ShocknAwe
1Addict
Rep
Drives: E82 Mutt, M57 Truck

Wish they had made it a hatch/wagon instead of another urban assault vehicle.

But, doesn't look like a BMW to me. Too many two tone plastics, grilles look weird, side mirrors are, uh, interesting, and there's no real feeling of mass or heft or presence to the car. Nice looking car, but, not BMW to me.
      09-29-2016, 04:26 PM   #120
Questofthetune
Captain
Rep
Drives: 13 GT50014 AW M235i(sold)

Garage List
2014 BMW 235i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmermaus650 View Post
Undoubtedly this is a good looking vehicle but it doesn't look like a German car and it certainly doesn't look like a BMW.
It's unfortunate that BMW has lost its edge in design and innovation. Instead they want to copy Mercedes and Audi in their pursuits to manufacture more Asian looking vehicles every year.
As a German, I can tell you we love minimalism and a clean design. Germans love a sleeper that doesn't give off its hand right away.
This vehicle looks cheap and loud like an attention seeking girl at a club with 10lbs of make up on and sequins and glitter all over.
Exactly what I thought when I saw it. It's pretty in a way that gets old quickly and loses any refined subtleness BMW always had.
Appreciate 1
      09-29-2016, 05:48 PM   #121
bradleyland
TIM YOYO
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdnno98 View Post
Really? Even with the N20 in there? I've never driven one, so I don't know.
For the grocery getter, definitely. You should definitely drive the N20 model before deciding that you have to have the 35i. I don't feel inspired to drive hard in an SUV, so it was a no brainer for us. The extra power of the N55 would go to waste.
Appreciate 1
bigdnno98288.00
      09-29-2016, 06:40 PM   #122
pikcachu
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i (F22 Red angel)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zirenz2006 View Post
I love it! I hope the roundel on the rear sides doesn't make production version
Yeah those suck... this is no M1

Also wonder who in their right mind would drive on those tires.... there must be loudy as hell
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2016, 06:53 PM   #123
Paul-Bracq-BMW
Australia
Rep
Drives: 1981 323i, sports M5, LSD

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTT26 View Post
The inverted twin kidney grille is the new face of the BMW X models.
The next X3 gets the same sharp face and detailing.
Interesting. I agree that the X models need to have a distinctive design language.
      09-29-2016, 07:17 PM   #124
hoyasaxa
Captain
Rep
Drives: GTI | 982 4.0

Kill it with fire.
      09-29-2016, 07:20 PM   #125
c63er
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradleyland
Enthusiasts would do well to accept the fact that there is only one formula that allows us to continue to enjoy RWD, enthusiast-focused automobiles from BMW:

Step 1) Build and bring to market cars that the average consumer wants.
Step 2) Sell a ton of them and reap the profits.
Step 3) Use those profits to continue to produce cars like the M line-up, which honestly, have very little direct business case for producing.

And yes, I recognize that BMW's brand is built on the "cars for drivers" image, but every time I get to thinking that this means they actually need to build drivers cars, I'm reminded of the survey wherein 90% of 1-series owners had no idea their car was RWD. I also have to look across the aisle to Audi, where I see FWD and FWD-based AWD cars selling like crazy.

Finally, I have to look at myself and recognize that for our household, an X3 was a fantastic purchase. The wife prefers the higher seating position when compared to a wagon, and I don't find the driving dynamics completely abhorrent.

In short, don't be a whiney little brat. So far, BMW keeps producing the cars we want. M2 anyone? The X line-up isn't dilution, it's funding. It's the funding that keeps the dream alive.
You always a great perspective on bmw but I have to disagree a bit here. I don't think the bone many of us are picking with this car has to do with its existence but rather the styling.

In this case this car looks 100% Korean. Bmws strength has been to bring its core values to a segment.

When the first x5 was introduced it eventually won people over because it was an SUV that was actually fun to drive. BMW core values in a new segment.
With this car if you took away the roundels and kidneys I don't think anyone would think many would consider it a bmw.

So the tables are turned. It's not bmw bringing its values to a new segment. It's bmw copying other cars in a segment to make $$. If that's right or wrong is a totally different discussion.

But looking at this x2 in isolation. It's the most amount of dilution ie "selling out" we have yet seen. I can't think of any lower bar for dilution off the top of my head at this point.

Please correct me if I'm wrong. I desperately want to be wrong.
      09-29-2016, 07:24 PM   #126
Ove
Private
Norway
Rep
Drives: .

The X2 concept looks awesome from the front. What doesn't look so good is the areas that are painted gray. And the exhaust outlets look awful!
      09-29-2016, 07:30 PM   #127
nozydog
Driver
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2020 X2 M35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zirenz2006 View Post
I love it! I hope the roundel on the rear sides doesn't make production version
I wish it would, but sadly it won't!
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2016, 07:34 PM   #128
nozydog
Driver
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzcrna View Post
Ladies and Gentlemen, I present you the Range Rover Evoque!
Really... I'd suggest you put your glasses back on!!
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2016, 07:46 PM   #129
nozydog
Driver
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by c63er View Post
You always a great perspective on bmw but I have to disagree a bit here. I don't think the bone many of us are picking with this car has to do with its existence but rather the styling.

In this case this car looks 100% Korean. Bmws strength has been to bring its core values to a segment.

When the first x5 was introduced it eventually won people over because it was an SUV that was actually fun to drive. BMW core values in a new segment.
With this car if you took away the roundels and kidneys I don't think anyone would think many would consider it a bmw.

So the tables are turned. It's not bmw bringing its values to a new segment. It's bmw copying other cars in a segment to make $$. If that's right or wrong is a totally different discussion.

But looking at this x2 in isolation. It's the most amount of dilution ie "selling out" we have yet seen. I can't think of any lower bar for dilution off the top of my head at this point.

You're not wrong neither are you right! Analysing how a brand's latest car 'should' look is futile, a bit like music critics analysing Bob Dylan songs!! All I see here is a great looking MODERN design, sure not everyone will like it, but on the CAR website I've yet to read a single negative post!! I keep reading comments like "it's a Korean design" but that's just utter Bo11ox!! It's simply a new direction for BMW and if they've taken some inspiration from Korean designs of late then great, there are some superb Korean designs out there and maybe the Germans will start catching up now!!
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2016, 07:59 PM   #130
c63er
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by nozydog
Quote:

You're not wrong neither are you right! Analysing how a brand's latest car 'should' look is futile, a bit like music critics analysing Bob Dylan songs!! All I see here is a great looking MODERN design, sure not everyone will like it, but on the CAR website I've yet to read a single negative post!! I keep reading comments like "it's a Korean design" but that's just utter Bo11ox!! It's simply a new direction for BMW and if they've taken some inspiration from Korean designs of late then great, there are some superb Korean designs out there and maybe the Germans will start catching up now!!
Just fyi the Korean designs are by a German person. I'm referring to Korean brands not ethnicity. So Germans can "catch up" to other Germans working for Koreans. The again most bmws are designed by non ethnic Germans right now so it's all mixed up.

Again. I'm talking about bmw brand and heritage vs aping Korean brand styling
pbjjj46.00
      09-29-2016, 08:03 PM   #131
antzcrashing
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW 440i GC

Garage List
Awful
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2016, 08:11 PM   #132
bradleyland
TIM YOYO
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:

I'm having a hard time finding an argument to these points. I get what you're saying. It's not that everyone doesn't want BMW building SUVs, it's that this particular SUV doesn't look particularly BMW-like.

I keep looking over the images, and only the profile strikes me as BMW. The front... Oy. I'm not even sure what to say. I think we've reached peak air-scoop. That's about all I can think of when I look at the front of this thing. It's like the aero from the M2 turned up to 11. No, I take that back. It's like the M2 aero turned up to 14.
Appreciate 1
c63er876.00