BMW
X1 / X2
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW X1 (F48) and X2 (F39) Forums General BMW X2 Forum (F39) Need Advice! 2019 X2 Lemon?

03-24-2019, 01:00 PM   #1
Friggy31
Rep
Drives: BMW X2

Need Advice! 2019 X2 Lemon?

First off, this resource is amazing! I'm hoping to get some advice given my FIRST BMW purchase, not going so well...

Last Saturday I purchases a new 2019 BMW X2, did my research, test drove other cars and fell in love with the X2. I hagglged, did my thing and was thrilled to sign on the dotted line.

I picked the car up 2 days later on Monday and was told that the "replace battery" message would go away once it had recharged. As it was a showroom model the battery was drained and hadn't full been recharged. I took the car out and noticed a few features weren't working like the tire pressure monitor, real time traffic, and BMWconnect. I parked the car at a restaraunt (we went out for a fun night with the new car) and the remote would not lock/unlock the CAR. Door handle lock/unlock, etc all worked but both remotes were dead. I immediatly called the dealer and was told to bring it in the next day.

I took the car in for a battery swap the next day (Tuesday). The dealer swapped out the battery and everything was fixed. I imemdiatly tried to lock/unlock the car and nothing was fixed other than "replace batter" message.

After debating with the service department I was given a loaner while they figured it out. Well one day turned to three and as of Friday afternoon there isn't a clear answer about the car. They repalced the battery a second time, deleted the transport mode, and nothing after 3 days of "diagnostics." The dealership called in the service center manager and opened a "PUMA" case with BMW promising an answer on Monday. They promise me the CAR is ok and are working it out.

My questions:
1) should I be worried?
2) would any of you ask that they replace the car entirerly?
3) how atypical is this?
4) what the hell could be going on!?

This is left a sour taste in my mouth...
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2019, 05:43 AM   #2
MJE60
Captain
England
Rep
Drives: BMW G01 xDrive M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Friggy31 View Post
First off, this resource is amazing! I'm hoping to get some advice given my FIRST BMW purchase, not going so well...

Last Saturday I purchases a new 2019 BMW X2, did my research, test drove other cars and fell in love with the X2. I hagglged, did my thing and was thrilled to sign on the dotted line.

I picked the car up 2 days later on Monday and was told that the "replace battery" message would go away once it had recharged. As it was a showroom model the battery was drained and hadn't full been recharged. I took the car out and noticed a few features weren't working like the tire pressure monitor, real time traffic, and BMWconnect. I parked the car at a restaraunt (we went out for a fun night with the new car) and the remote would not lock/unlock the CAR. Door handle lock/unlock, etc all worked but both remotes were dead. I immediatly called the dealer and was told to bring it in the next day.

I took the car in for a battery swap the next day (Tuesday). The dealer swapped out the battery and everything was fixed. I imemdiatly tried to lock/unlock the car and nothing was fixed other than "replace batter" message.

After debating with the service department I was given a loaner while they figured it out. Well one day turned to three and as of Friday afternoon there isn't a clear answer about the car. They repalced the battery a second time, deleted the transport mode, and nothing after 3 days of "diagnostics." The dealership called in the service center manager and opened a "PUMA" case with BMW promising an answer on Monday. They promise me the CAR is ok and are working it out.

My questions:
1) should I be worried?
2) would any of you ask that they replace the car entirerly?
3) how atypical is this?
4) what the hell could be going on!?

This is left a sour taste in my mouth...
Reading various BMW forums, I would say your experience is not typical. I do not think you have a “lemon” - 90+% of the car build is automated and they do not have bad days.

From your descriptions of the problems they are all similar to those people can get with incorrectly “coding” their car. In other words, software issues rather than multiple hardware problems. Given, the “battery” problem I would be suspicious that there may be/ have been a wider electrical/electronic problem which corrupted/keeps corrupting the car HU (Head Unit/main computer/ecu) I would hope the dealership completely reinstall the HU software and find out why it was corrupted. It is also possible the HU is faulty, if it did not go into sleep mode it would have drained the battery. As the HU is the central “brain” it receives and processes information from all the other car ecu so if damaged you could get faults reported from all over the car, non real. If it “forgot” your key fob, your fob appears dead and you are locked out etc etc.

I would allow a reasonable time for it to be sorted and expect a very detailed description of the cause of the problem and how it was fixed. If any problem re-occurs, I would reject the car immediately and I would tell them that is my position before accepting the car back. I would also keep a very detailed record. Good luck

Last edited by MJE60; 04-06-2019 at 06:00 AM..
Appreciate 1
      04-06-2019, 12:02 PM   #3
Friggy31
Rep

Thank you for the advice! I was able to get more updates which included 2 new batteries, software reinstall and eventually a new control unit. After the control unit was replaced I went to pick it up and the back gate was not functioning... I refused to take the car despite assurances that it could be fixed and we were going on almost 3 weeks from the time of initially signing on the dotted line. Eventually after my 4th trip to the dealership and speaking with an understanding GM they agreed to find a replacement and worked through some of the issues with paperwork. Hoping to pick it up tomorrow... Round 2.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2019, 12:32 PM   #4
MJE60
Captain
England
Rep
Drives: BMW G01 xDrive M Sport

hope all goes well.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2019, 07:14 AM   #5
mackeroni
Former Opel GT Pilot
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i, AW, CR, 6MT

Quote:
Thank you for the advice! I was able to get more updates which included 2 new batteries, software reinstall and eventually a new control unit. After the control unit was replaced I went to pick it up and the back gate was not functioning... I refused to take the car despite assurances that it could be fixed and we were going on almost 3 weeks from the time of initially signing on the dotted line. Eventually after my 4th trip to the dealership and speaking with an understanding GM they agreed to find a replacement and worked through some of the issues with paperwork. Hoping to pick it up tomorrow... Round 2.
Good luck. Keep us posted. Would love to learn what was wrong with your first X2. If you find out, would you please share? Inquiring minds want to know.
So, that's it. I am doomed. There is no patch, no methadone, no substitute. Curse you BMW. Curse you and your seamless power delivery. Curse the incredible sense of road feel. Curse the comfort, the luxury, the envious looks from the masses. I am... hopelessly addicted.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2019, 04:30 PM   #6
Friggy31
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mackeroni View Post
Quote:
Good luck. Keep us posted. Would love to learn what was wrong with your first X2. If you find out, would you please share? Inquiring minds want to know.
To be fair I never got an answer about what was wrong with the first one! The issues explained to me were:
- dead battery
- bad battery
- second dead battery
- stuck in transport mode
- needed to be reprogrammed
- bad control unit
- forgot to reprogram all features after replacement control unit

I was tolerating everything including the replaced control unit however when I went to pick up the car and the back gate wouldn't open I was done. The dealer did a great job, found a replacement and did the swap. I think BMW corporate ate the lost $$$ as in my state you have to register to insure and the car was then considered "used."
Appreciate 0