BMW
X1 / X2
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General BMW News and Cars Discussion BMW developing a racing wheelchair for the U.S. Paralympics Track and Field Team

08-05-2015, 02:08 PM   #1
ORIGIN M.
Banned
Rep
Drives: ///M

BMW developing a racing wheelchair for the U.S. Paralympics Track and Field Team

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
Heading into its Sixth Sponsorship Year, BMW Aims to Continue Applying its Expertise to Support the Advancement of Athletic Performance

Woodcliff Lake, NJ – August 5, 2015… BMW of North America, the Official Mobility Partner of the United States Olympic Committee (USOC), today announced its plans to develop a new racing wheelchair for use by athletes of the U.S. Paralympics Track and Field Team in the Rio 2016 Paralympic Games. The latest endeavor marks the fourth vehicle technology transfer project developed by BMW as part of its six-year partnership with Team USA, and in support of its long-standing, global commitment to performance-driven sports.

As with the development of its previous technology projects for Team USA, BMW has enlisted world-class designers from Designworks, its global creative consultancy headquartered in California, to collaborate with the U.S. Paralympics Track and Field team in identifying and addressing the need for potential improvements in the team’s equipment – namely the racing wheelchair. Although still in its infancy, the wheelchair’s significant improvements will include a complete redesign of its chassis, application of BMW’s signature aerodynamic efficiencies, enhanced athlete restraint, carbon fiber durability, as well as steering and braking advancements.

“Over the course of our partnership with Team USA, we have been committed to advancing athletic performance through technology transfer initiatives which help to address their training and equipment needs,” said Trudy Hardy, Vice President, Marketing, BMW of North America. “This one is special not only because it presents a unique design challenge, but it helps solve a bigger mobility challenge for our Paralympic athletes.”

Nearly one year in development, the wheelchair is slated to be delivered to U.S. Paralympics track and field elite racers in early 2016. In the months ahead, BMW will continue working closely with athletes and coaches to integrate further enhancements and refinements as needed.

This announcement most recently follows BMW’s delivery of a two-man bobsled which helped Team USA overcome a 62-year medal drought at the Sochi 2014 Olympic Winter Games. Each of these projects ladders up to BMW’s larger commitment to advancing the training and performance goals of the athletes of Team USA as part of a sponsorship that extends through the Rio 2016 Olympic and Paralympic Games. To learn more about BMW’s partnership with the USOC and National Governing Bodies USA Bobsled & Skeleton, USA Swimming, USA Track & Field and U.S. Paralympics track and field visit www.bmwusanews.com.
Attached Images

Last edited by ORIGIN M.; 08-05-2015 at 10:10 PM..
Appreciate 1
      08-05-2015, 10:30 PM   #2
tracer bullet
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 135i , '15 X3 35i

Nice.
Appreciate 2
      08-06-2015, 10:08 AM   #3
BEMR
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 15 M4

i-wheel

With integrity nothing else matters, without integrity nothing else matters.
Appreciate 1
      08-06-2015, 10:24 AM   #4
Theride
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2006

Twin scroll turbo electric engine.
Appreciate 1
      08-06-2015, 10:27 AM   #5
Twixboy
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '04 Z4 3.0i 6spd

infinity mpg
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2015, 11:42 AM   #6
GOS7
Enthusiast
Rep
Drives: F82, E28 535is

With I drive that projects on the helmet visor!
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2015, 01:37 PM   #7
aajami
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Space Gray '09 E92 M3

See? BMW is still perfectly capable of making lightweight, RWD, naturally-aspirated vehicles.
Mods: M Performance exhaust | ZCP retrofit | Euro airbox | GTS DCT flash | JPN 240 ECU flash | Euro LCI taillights | CRT lip | OEM alarm retrofit | Space Gray bumper plugs | BMW Performance: Mk. II spoiler / Mk. II non-electronic steering wheel / mirror caps / front grilles / side gills / intake louvers / emblem
Appreciate 3
      08-06-2015, 02:05 PM   #8
4corners
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 Jet Black M3 Coupe

Garage List
I've been using a manual wheelchair for over thirty years since injuring my spine at 24 years old. My 86 325e, my 07 328xi and now my 08 M3 all have hand controls.

I would love a new M2 as well. We'll see.
Appreciate 3
      08-06-2015, 03:36 PM   #9
raysspl
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: walking, bicycle, & bus

08-06-2015, 08:29 PM   #10
aajami
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Space Gray '09 E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4corners View Post
I've been using a manual wheelchair for over thirty years since injuring my spine at 24 years old. My 86 325e, my 07 328xi and now my 08 M3 all have hand controls.

I would love a new M2 as well. We'll see.
How did you injure your spine?
Mods: M Performance exhaust | ZCP retrofit | Euro airbox | GTS DCT flash | JPN 240 ECU flash | Euro LCI taillights | CRT lip | OEM alarm retrofit | Space Gray bumper plugs | BMW Performance: Mk. II spoiler / Mk. II non-electronic steering wheel / mirror caps / front grilles / side gills / intake louvers / emblem
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2015, 11:00 PM   #11
tracer bullet
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 135i , '15 X3 35i

Found a little more info, not much out there.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports...team/31148275/

U.S. Paralympians will soon be racing in BMWs.

BMW is scheduled to announce Wednesday that it is designing and developing a new wheelchair for U.S. athletes to use at next summer's Paralympic Games in Rio de Janeiro. The wheelchair, which is in the design phase, will be made of carbon fiber, which is lighter than the aluminum used in most wheelchairs, said Trudy Hardy, the vice president of marketing for BMW North America.

The chassis also will be redesigned, and Hardy told USA TODAY Sports that BMW would use its "signature aerodynamics efficiencies" to reduce drag. There also will be changes to the steering and braking systems.

"Ultimately, our goal is to make sure the athlete's energy is used to propel themselves vs. the chair they're sitting in," Hardy said. "The whole goal is to make the chair invisible."

The new wheelchair is the second piece of equipment BMW has developed for the USA, following the creation of a new two-man bobsled for the Sochi Olympics. Steve Holcomb and Steve Langton drove that sled to bronze, the first U.S. medal in the event in 62 years.

The USA won 16 medals in wheelchair track events at the London Paralympics, half of them gold. But when BMW met with USA Track and Field, the idea for a new wheelchair was raised.

"We're a company that likes to solve mobility challenges, and there is nothing more challenging than Paralympians who rely on that chair, on and off the track," Hardy said. "This is an endeavor of the heart, which makes it special as well."

Just as it did with the bobsled, Hardy said, BMW will work with current and former Paralympians during the production and testing process. BMW modified the steering mechanism of the bobsled at the request of the athletes, and Hardy said the Paralympians will get similar input.

BMW hopes to have the first prototype ready this year, with competitive testing done early enough so modifications can be done ahead of the Rio Paralympics, which are Sept. 7-18, 2016.
Appreciate 1