BMW
X1 / X2
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW X1 (F48) and X2 (F39) Forums General BMW X1 Forum (F48) Scratches on the black exterior plastic

08-30-2018, 02:43 AM   #1
derek.megyesi
M-Experienced
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW X5 xDrive50e AWD SUV

Garage List
Scratches on the black exterior plastic

Hi all,

Today, I was driving up a hill and due to some bumps in the road, I scratched the underneath of my car (the black plastic).

As shown in the pictures, the scratches are on the black plastic undercarriage. I talked to my auto-body friend, and he said that it cannot be fixed, and can only be replaced. But I am not sold on this answer.

Note: I have one picture where I am pointing to the the "good/unscratched" part of the black plastic that continues to the bottom part (where it is scratched).

Couldn't these scratches simply be sanded down with a fine wet sandpaper and the plastic polished? Any ideas?!
Attached Images

Last edited by derek.megyesi; 08-30-2018 at 02:49 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2018, 03:17 PM   #2
oakey46
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 2 A/T 220i Lux Auto 1.5

If it isn't visible from above, I wouldn't risk making it look even worse with sandpaper, or Wet & Dry paper. Also, polishing it might make it look very different from the remainder of the plastic, which could stick out like a sore thumb. You could try using some plastic trim cleaner (for matt plastic, unless its already shiny). I had some small samples from the Audi dealer who supplied my previous Q3 and this did help hide some minor scratches. I would have a look at what your BMW dealer (costly perhaps?), or a local motorists shop has in stock.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2018, 02:35 AM   #3
Leaving
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: F48 M Sport

i don't think that plastic might be polish to be corrected at once. i'd say that feels a bit grainy. In my opinion the surface damaged should be first cleaned, 2nd covered with some paint and then corrected as many times as needed.
Appreciate 0