BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X1 (F48) and X2 (F39) Forums General BMW X1 Forum (F48) Wastegate actuator

04-26-2023, 09:13 AM   #1
bzsasic
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X1

Wastegate actuator

Has anyone had a wastegate actuator fail? I think the one on my wife's 2018 X1 is starting to go. She got a drivetrain failure alert yesterday, and a code scan shows error code 123601 "Electric wastegate, activation: Short circuit to B+ or ground". I have not found much on the internet regarding this issue specific to the X1, but others have noted this error on other models as an indication of a failing (or failed) wastegate.

Any perspective is much appreciated. Also, any personal experience on replacing the actuator will be helpful. It seems to be mounted on the exhaust manifold in the rear of the engine, so access may be an issue.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2023, 03:29 PM   #2
ktgx1
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X1

My 2019 X1 F48 Drivetrain Malfunction message was diagnosed as a Wastegate Actuator failure at only 42K miles. BMW wanted $2552 to replace it which I thought was nuts. They said the part is $910 and 7.5hours labor! A quick Google search shows BMW dealers selling it for $455 at Zeigler BMW. Has anyone tried DIY? Is a calibration needed if you buy OEM?
Appreciate 0