BMW
X1 / X2
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos The Best Car Names Ever!

04-26-2021, 04:08 PM   #67
Darth One
drunk poster
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 GTS | E46 M3

That's funny because "stable" is just about the most unromantic thing you can imagine. If you've ever looked into or just stood downwind of one. But i get it - the word had been co-opted a long time ago into the Ferrari "legend"
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2021, 09:00 PM   #68
GuidoK
#buildnotbought
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0i ESS TS2+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Law View Post
That's interesting.
What are the Dutch & German equivalents?
In Dutch it's "Stoeterij" and in German it's "Gestüt" (but in old German it's "Stuterei" which is of course the same as the Dutch word only slightly different spelling)

I think the German and Dutch word also have the same 'connotation'
A Stoeterij is a very posh word where horsebreeding is done for thorougbreads and racehorses. If it would be a breeding farm for horsemeat or leather or so, it would be called paardefokkerij ("horsebreedery")
The words Stoeterij and Gestüt come from the german word "Stute" which means mare (so a female horse). In dutch, the word for a female horse is funnily enough 'merrie', so more linked to the english word 'mare' than the German word. (dutch is basically an intermediate between German and English with some influences of French probably from the French period (1800AD). Those influences are different than the french influences in the English language as most of that happened I recon around 1000AD (William the Conqueror))
This is probably why Dutch has a seperate word for (horse)riding school, which in german is Reitschule, so the same combination of words, but in Dutch mostly the word 'manege' is used (clearly a french based word).
The thing I find strange is the english word 'stud', being a Stallion. It looks a lot like the german word 'Stute", but that is a female horse. A male horse in both Dutch and German is "Hengst". Stallion is of course from the William the Conqueror era as it is latin/italian in origin. (lots of words from that era are not directly translated in french, like for instance the word umbrella. That is also more of a latin/italian based word than the french word (parapluie))

A stable (so a shed to store cattle in general (pigs, cows etc) is in Dutch a 'stal' and in german a 'Stall'.
But I don't know what the exact connotation is to the Italian word scuderia. That also translates to stable, but it might have the connotation that it's ment for horses
Z4 3.0i | ESS TS2+ supercharger | Quaife ATB LSD | Brembo/BMW performance BBK front/rear | Schrick FI cams | Schmiedmann headers+cats | Powerflex/strongflex PU bushings | Vibra-technics engine mounts | H&R anti rollbars | KW V3 coilovers/KW camber plates | Sachs race engineering clutch | tons of custom sh#t

Last edited by GuidoK; 04-26-2021 at 09:11 PM..
Appreciate 0