BMW
X1 / X2
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X1 (F48) and X2 (F39) Forums General BMW X1 Forum (F48) F48 Odd Sunroof/ Sunshade problem

10-03-2023, 03:58 AM   #1
elsayedm
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW X1 F48

Garage List
F48 Odd Sunroof/ Sunshade problem

Hi Guys, I need some advice,

I have a 2016 X1 sDrive20i. A few weeks ago, I discovered that the panoramic sunshade/sunroof in my X1 stopped working properly. The sunshade will move a couple inches either way, but will stop and make a clicking sound both by the roller as well as behind the switch panel. The sunroof will not open at all, even when I manage to get the sunshade in the fully open position by pressing the button 100 times(start/stops).

I've tried to do a hard reset, but it only fully cycles the sunroof. The sunshade will roll back maybe 20 inches and then freeze.

If anyone has any idea on where to start, that would be great!

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2023, 04:15 PM   #2
Icycharizard
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW X1

Supposedly this happens a lot on bmw models. My dad’s friend is a retired master bmw tech and says just don’t use the sunshade that much because it’ll break. Idk it sounds like bs. Mine did break. I think it’s just plastic pieces that are used on the sunshade track that get warped or break due to temperature. Mine happened to break last winter and does the same thing. I CAN still open and close the sunroof as much as I want, and because I live in Seattle, it doesn’t get that hot and I leave the sunshade open all summer. It’s not that bad. It’s pretty thin as it is and doesn’t do much to block the extreme heat in summer. Fortunately, I never dried during the heat of the day that much.
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2023, 07:05 PM   #3
elsayedm
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW X1 F48

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icycharizard View Post
Supposedly this happens a lot on bmw models. My dad’s friend is a retired master bmw tech and says just don’t use the sunshade that much because it’ll break. Idk it sounds like bs. Mine did break. I think it’s just plastic pieces that are used on the sunshade track that get warped or break due to temperature. Mine happened to break last winter and does the same thing. I CAN still open and close the sunroof as much as I want, and because I live in Seattle, it doesn’t get that hot and I leave the sunshade open all summer. It’s not that bad. It’s pretty thin as it is and doesn’t do much to block the extreme heat in summer. Fortunately, I never dried during the heat of the day that much.
Thanks for letting me know, at this stage I’m just going to let it be, iv decided to fight the urges in finding a solution and trying to forget about it, it’s a shame as it’s a great feature.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2024, 11:32 PM   #4
BayArchitect
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2017 X1 (F48)

Same issue on 2017 X1.
Appreciate 0