BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board Windows 7

02-28-2020, 10:52 PM   #45
Turkish Pickle
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 330i xDrive

Garage List
I have both, a macbook and a desktop I've built myself. Software wise macOS has been worse than Windows and hardware wise, too. 2011 mac died in 2015 out of the blue, never really figured out what went wrong with it. bought an early 2015 starting college (late 2016) and it crapped out on me thanksgiving 2019, was able to resurrect it. Finally died again twoish weeks ago and ended up getting a 16" macbook pro

my desktops? The one I built in 2013 is still chugging along, same config since the day i built it. The one I have in college I bought early 2017 and still on the same windows install even though i've changed motherboards (upgrading) a solid 3-4 times.

I like macbooks because they are indestructable until they randomly die on me. the build quality of the chassis is amazing and it can withstand what i do to my laptops but their disks are horrible; its barely been 3 days since i've had the 16" and i'm already backing up daily lol
Appreciate 1
Rmtt8206.00
      02-28-2020, 11:11 PM   #46
243Racing
Banned
Rep
Drives: M2

I’ve had 100% disk usage issue all day today, and I blame this thread
Appreciate 2
RickFLM410798.50
wdb4641.50
      02-28-2020, 11:14 PM   #47
yco
i'm just saying
Rep
Drives: E71 X6M '10 (sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turkish Pickle View Post
I have both, a macbook and a desktop I've built myself. Software wise macOS has been worse than Windows and hardware wise, too. 2011 mac died in 2015 out of the blue, never really figured out what went wrong with it. bought an early 2015 starting college (late 2016) and it crapped out on me thanksgiving 2019, was able to resurrect it. Finally died again twoish weeks ago and ended up getting a 16" macbook pro

my desktops? The one I built in 2013 is still chugging along, same config since the day i built it. The one I have in college I bought early 2017 and still on the same windows install even though i've changed motherboards (upgrading) a solid 3-4 times.

I like macbooks because they are indestructable until they randomly die on me. the build quality of the chassis is amazing and it can withstand what i do to my laptops but their disks are horrible; its barely been 3 days since i've had the 16" and i'm already backing up daily lol
im writing this message from a 2011 MacBook Pro.. been carried a lot of places, had some harsh landings and few years ago drank a big glass of Coke from its keyboard area, its turned on almost 24/7 or just in sleep.. im turning it off 2-3 times max a year at most..
2014 iMac not having an easy life as well.. no problems.. knocking on wood.. your experience can be a bit unlucky i believe..
      02-29-2020, 01:14 AM   #48
eluded
2JZ-GTE
Bulgaria
Rep
Drives: 340 6MT, 50e, others

If your current laptop functions fine, why upgraded? Sure it's end of life but a lot of corporations are still using Windows 7. These corporations do things like handle your money or create new drugs that save you from cancer. So I think you're OK running your current system as long as you're happy with the performance and features. Maybe load some good antivirus because you're not gonna be able to patch the system but… Chances are you'll be OK unless you connect to public Wi-Fi at the Starbucks

That being said some people talk trash about windows 10 which is the best desktop operating system Microsoft has ever made. It works great. But you need some decent hardware. Your current computer might be OK since it has a solid-state drive but then again why go through an upgrade unless you have some good horsepower. I would recommend one of those new surface laptops. They are pretty cool but really expensive. Which leads me to my next line, like others have suggested the macs are pretty cool. I personally love MacBook airs.

As for software things have changed. Now you get an office 365 subscription that you pay for monthly that allow you a great deal of flexibility. Plus you get like a terabyte of storage up in the cloud. Not a bad deal.
Appreciate 0
      02-29-2020, 03:17 AM   #49
Dang3r
Schmollbraten
Germany
Rep
Drives: M4CPC // HP4 Comp.

The main problem remains, when you are going to upgrade your PC, all new hardware components i.e. mainboards are no longer downwards compatible with W7 and would refuse the installation of the drivers.

Some say, that my scrotum has its own small gravity field and when Im slowing down that brake lights come on at my buttox
Appreciate 0
      02-29-2020, 06:11 AM   #50
c1pher
Primo Generalissimo
United_States
Rep
Drives: All of them

Garage List
Windows 7 went end of life in January. I believe the current iteration of Windows 10 is far behind. Microsoft has a new version of Windows 10 but still in testing.
Appreciate 0
      02-29-2020, 06:20 AM   #51
Fast.F10
Extruding Elements
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW M5 Comp

Garage List
2016 BMW M5 F10  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dang3r View Post
The main problem remains, when you are going to upgrade your PC, all new hardware components i.e. mainboards are no longer downwards compatible with W7 and would refuse the installation of the drivers.
I can say from experience that I have updated around 45 (local) Win7 (32 and 64) to Win10 (and 20 remote users) and the only major "issue" I had was on one specific Lenovo laptop model, the wifi from time to time at boot is disabled. In sticking with with Win7...sure you can, but know that Win7 once end of life would/has become the OS to target. So why risk your data/functionality of your device. Lucky for about 10 "critical" users, I just straight gave them new devices rather than risk any possible issues. There was 1 device, my laptop, that I kept getting errors while trying to update...my laptop. But I put that OS/HD thru hell for many years doing different things. Ended up buying a new SSD, installing my Win7 license, all drivers, and then attempting again with success. That laptop is now my primary "workstation" w/3 monitors attached and I purchase a new HP laptop for myself.
Appreciate 0
      02-29-2020, 06:25 AM   #52
Dang3r
Schmollbraten
Germany
Rep
Drives: M4CPC // HP4 Comp.

Its a difference if you're up or "downgrading" an existing system from W10 to W7 or vice versa.
When you're installing a complete new system and the drivers are all shown as incompatible with W7 and you have no further support from the MFR, what to do then? Resell the much more better components and stick to W7?
I was short before it, because for my taste W10 isn't worth the hype around it. At least MS had use the Mac way, OS X as last OS, steady upgraded w/o complete new release. MS is doing now the same way but this won't makes it better imo.

Some say, that my scrotum has its own small gravity field and when Im slowing down that brake lights come on at my buttox
Appreciate 0
      02-29-2020, 10:40 AM   #53
Rmtt
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 128i, 2008 LS3 C6

Quote:
Originally Posted by eluded View Post
If your current laptop functions fine, why upgraded? Sure it's end of life but a lot of corporations are still using Windows 7. These corporations do things like handle your money or create new drugs that save you from cancer. So I think you're OK running your current system as long as you're happy with the performance and features. Maybe load some good antivirus because you're not gonna be able to patch the system but… Chances are you'll be OK unless you connect to public Wi-Fi at the Starbucks

That being said some people talk trash about windows 10 which is the best desktop operating system Microsoft has ever made. It works great. But you need some decent hardware. Your current computer might be OK since it has a solid-state drive but then again why go through an upgrade unless you have some good horsepower. I would recommend one of those new surface laptops. They are pretty cool but really expensive. Which leads me to my next line, like others have suggested the macs are pretty cool. I personally love MacBook airs.

As for software things have changed. Now you get an office 365 subscription that you pay for monthly that allow you a great deal of flexibility. Plus you get like a terabyte of storage up in the cloud. Not a bad deal.

Lol....I have a few systems in our chemical facility...... lab equipment and site security access that are still running on Windows 95.

They are all internal equipment, and I have new systems for them.....but they have been so solid in how they perform that I have just been procrastinating until they finally give out.

Plus some of our employees have been here so long, that's the system they know best as they aren't the type that like anything new.

Once I do get around to upgrading them, I will probably have to do something like "Classic Shell" so they aren't lost.
      02-29-2020, 10:58 AM   #54
gjm120
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 128i, 2021 230i

I'm using my partially retired Win7 machine for my car and only the car. I am planning to never go on the internet with it. Just to afraid to pick up something (never play with things that you don't know where it's been!) and mess up the computer or worse a module.
      02-29-2020, 07:12 PM   #55
Fast.F10
Extruding Elements
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW M5 Comp

Garage List
2016 BMW M5 F10  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeastieBombRacing View Post
I’ve had 100% disk usage issue all day today, and I blame this thread
I'm laggin too..
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-01-2020, 11:12 AM   #56
jimbobiggens
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i xDrive

Garage List
Windows 10 will reluctantly run in legacy mode.

But Windows 10 is designed to use UEFI, which replaces legacy mode.

The system (BIOS) settings on the motherboard should be changed to UEFI, if the system settings have that option. Older equipment may not have that capability.

It's not a huge, earth-shattering difference, it's sorta like tuning your car to run on 87 octane when the factory designed the car to run on 91 octane.
      04-07-2020, 07:12 PM   #57
RickFLM4
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4

Ordered a Lenovo ThinkPad P53 with Win10 Pro today. Once I get it and start using it, I’ll upgrade my current one to Win10 and keep it as a backup.
      04-09-2020, 12:35 PM   #58
stein_325i
Ring Leader of G8X Haters
No_Country
Rep
Drives: A Car

I left Mac for personal computers when they switched to butterfly keys. I had owned a 2013 Macbook Air for long and really wanted to buy a new one with an HD screen and the old Air's battery was pretty much dead (on its second battery) but then they put the dreaded butterfly keys in the new one at the time. I use Windows for work so luckily it wasn't a hard switch, but 10 hasn't been too bad, but like other's have said 7 was the best for a while.

I switched to a Surface Laptop 2 which was aimed directly at buyers who had Macbook Air's before. Excellent laptop, and fantastic keyboard, been incredibly happy with it. Only now of course Apple finally quit on the butterfly keys on the Air and Pro, so will likely return when I need another laptop in a couple of years, but for now I've been satisfied with Windows 10 and the Surface Laptop.