BMW
X1 / X2
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board Cancelled Flights (COVID-19)

Closed Thread

04-07-2020, 09:22 PM   #1
RickFLM4
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4

Cancelled Flights (COVID-19)

Anyone have a planned flight cancelled by an airline?

Just a head's up in case you don't know - airlines are required to offer a refund when they cancel a U.S. flight, even if as a result of COVID-19. They can give you the choice of a refund or voucher or something else, but they need to offer the refund if they cancel (but not if you cancel).

A while back, I purchased some domestic tickets for my in-laws for a Memorial Day trip we since decided would not happen due to COVID-19. I did not cancel the flight reservations, instead waiting to see if the flight would be cancelled by the airline. Sure enough it was cancelled by the airline tonight. When I went to the airline's site, there was a pop up asking me to acknowledge and accept a voucher...

There have been a lot of complaints about this issue and the U.S. DOT issued and enforcement notice last Friday:

https://www.transportation.gov/brief...carrier-refund

Needless to say, I sent in a note to them to indicate I want a refund (calling would take forever). Hopefully that gets it done without disputing the charge on my credit card or filing a complain with the U.S. DOT.

So if you have a (U.S.) flight cancelled by an airline and prefer a refund, be aware you should get one and don't get tricked by attempts to get you to take a voucher.
M_Six16330.50
Rmtt8206.00
      04-07-2020, 09:32 PM   #2
2000cs
Captain
Rep
Drives: Potato

I have had the fastest response from airlines (prior to C-19) by posting to their FB page, or for privacy messaging them through FB Messenger
Appreciate 1
RickFLM410798.50
      04-07-2020, 09:34 PM   #3
ASAP
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 X3 M40i

My flight was cancelled by AA for this Thursday but they booked me on another flight same day / similar time. I wouldn't have taken either of these flights at this point due to Covid 19. I ended up calling them expecting at best a flight credit or voucher but they refunded the entire flight no question... was pleasantly surprised.
Appreciate 1
RickFLM410798.50
      04-08-2020, 03:29 PM   #4
RickFLM4
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Unfortunately, this is a shit airline (Allegiant). I tried calling a couple of times today but only get a busy signal. I'll dispute the charge on my credit card if I don't hear back from them by tomorrow or get through by calling. They sent another email out today and I am sure some people are getting tricked into taking the voucher:

We regret to inform you that your upcoming Allegiant flight 1216 originally scheduled to depart Fort Lauderdale-Hollywood International Airport (FLL) to Asheville Regional Airport (AVL) on Wednesday, May 20, 2020 at 10:45 AM has been canceled.

The following options have been made available to you as a result of this cancellation:
• You may change your flight to any other scheduled Allegiant flight(s) at no additional cost.
• You may cancel your reservation and receive a full credit in the form of an Allegiant voucher for future travel.
• You may contact our customer care center at 702-473-2601 for other options.
      04-08-2020, 11:08 PM   #5
M_Six
Free Thinker
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 MB GLC300 4matic

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickFLM4 View Post
Unfortunately, this is a shit airline (Allegiant). I tried calling a couple of times today but only get a busy signal. I'll dispute the charge on my credit card if I don't hear back from them by tomorrow or get through by calling. They sent another email out today and I am sure some people are getting tricked into taking the voucher:

We regret to inform you that your upcoming Allegiant flight 1216 originally scheduled to depart Fort Lauderdale-Hollywood International Airport (FLL) to Asheville Regional Airport (AVL) on Wednesday, May 20, 2020 at 10:45 AM has been canceled.

The following options have been made available to you as a result of this cancellation:
• You may change your flight to any other scheduled Allegiant flight(s) at no additional cost.
• You may cancel your reservation and receive a full credit in the form of an Allegiant voucher for future travel.
• You may contact our customer care center at 702-473-2601 for other options.
C'mon, dude. You gotta be able to afford better than that shitty airline. They're the cheapest way for me to get to FL to visit family, but I refuse to fly them just because of their shoddy maintenance and on-time records. I'll fork over the bucks to fly Southwest (which I hate) or AA 1st class, which really isn't horribly pricey, all things considered.

"There is no shame in dropping fruit in your glass."
-UncleWede
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2020, 06:05 AM   #6
RickFLM4
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M_Six View Post
C'mon, dude. You gotta be able to afford better than that shitty airline. They're the cheapest way for me to get to FL to visit family, but I refuse to fly them just because of their shoddy maintenance and on-time records. I'll fork over the bucks to fly Southwest (which I hate) or AA 1st class, which really isn't horribly pricey, all things considered.
I paid for in-laws’ flights (MIL, FIL, BIL) - these tickets were not for my wife / me. Allegiant and Spirit were the only choices for direct flights (FLL to AVL) and travel time was the primary consideration in this case. I have never personally flown Allegiant but planned on giving them a shot since they also added the only direct flight from PBI to AVL.
      04-09-2020, 02:28 PM   #7
ramman434
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 335i

Quote:
I paid for in-laws’ flights (MIL, FIL, BIL) - these tickets were not for my wife / me. Allegiant and Spirit were the only choices for direct flights (FLL to AVL) and travel time was the primary consideration in this case. I have never personally flown Allegiant but planned on giving them a shot since they also added the only direct flight from PBI to AVL.
My wife and I did the same for our in-laws for their anniversary. FLL - NOLA, thank God with Jet Blue. Her parents are both 60+, so they issued a full-refund for us.
Appreciate 1
RickFLM410798.50
      04-09-2020, 02:41 PM   #8
RickFLM4
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

I was on hold for 40 minutes this morning and never got through to anyone, so I disputed the charge on our credit card before more time passes since we bought these tickets months ago. They really should make it as easy as selecting a "refund" option on the reservation page, but that wouldn't give them the opportunity to talk / trick people into booking another flight or taking voucher.
      04-09-2020, 02:55 PM   #9
jmg
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G82 M4C X-Drive

Garage List
2022 G82 M4C X-Drive  [9.83]
2018 F80 M3 CS  [9.83]
2019 i3 BEV  [0.00]
Quote:
Anyone have a planned flight cancelled by an airline?

Just a head's up in case you don't know - airlines are required to offer a refund when they cancel a U.S. flight, even if as a result of COVID-19. They can give you the choice of a refund or voucher or something else, but they need to offer the refund if they cancel (but not if you cancel).

A while back, I purchased some domestic tickets for my in-laws for a Memorial Day trip we since decided would not happen due to COVID-19. I did not cancel the flight reservations, instead waiting to see if the flight would be cancelled by the airline. Sure enough it was cancelled by the airline tonight. When I went to the airline's site, there was a pop up asking me to acknowledge and accept a voucher...

There have been a lot of complaints about this issue and the U.S. DOT issued and enforcement notice last Friday:

https://www.transportation.gov/brief...carrier-refund

Needless to say, I sent in a note to them to indicate I want a refund (calling would take forever). Hopefully that gets it done without disputing the charge on my credit card or filing a complain with the U.S. DOT.

So if you have a (U.S.) flight cancelled by an airline and prefer a refund, be aware you should get one and don't get tricked by attempts to get you to take a voucher.

Good to know!

Might want to check you credit card's traveler protection plan too! You might be able to cancel on your own instead of waiting for the airline. I have an international flight this summer, but I'm waiting to see what happens.

2022 G82///M4 Competition X-Drive - KW-HAS, EBC Bluestuff, Millway Race Camber Plates, Cup2 Connect*, PSI High Flow Midpipe, Lightweight Front Lip, M Perf Flow Through Wing
Previous • 2018 F80 ///M3 CS • 2016 F80 ///M3
IG: Raging_G82
Appreciate 1
RickFLM410798.50
Closed Thread