BMW
X1 / X2
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW X1 (F48) and X2 (F39) Forums General BMW X1 Forum (F48) Occasional rattling/vibrating noise from instrument cluster area...

02-10-2020, 11:40 PM   #1
initialM
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 535i M-sport

Occasional rattling/vibrating noise from instrument cluster area...

Hello folks. Just curious to see who's out there experiencing similar noise that sounds like it comes out from somewhere inside the instrument cluster area in front of the steering wheel, particularly when driving over rougher roads. It's kind of hard to describe the noise exactly. I do notice on smooth road or freeways, the noise goes away. TIA.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2020, 08:09 AM   #2
bimmerbenz65
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2024 330xi

Garage List
2024 BMW 330xi  [0.00]
2022 BMW 330xi  [0.00]
Yes, I have the same thing occasionally. either over rough roads or when colder temperatures. Probably just the resonance of some internal pieces in the dash.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2020, 11:47 AM   #3
victorngcm
Private
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F48

Quote:
Originally Posted by initialM View Post
Hello folks. Just curious to see who's out there experiencing similar noise that sounds like it comes out from somewhere inside the instrument cluster area in front of the steering wheel, particularly when driving over rougher roads. It's kind of hard to describe the noise exactly. I do notice on smooth road or freeways, the noise goes away. TIA.
2017 18D RHD

1. got mice sound from unknown place. few seconds a time randomly. can't find any source. bmw said they didn't hear it

2. silver trim on the 6.5"monitor rattle. Stopped by pressing. stick a black sticker on it and killed the noise

3. 2 rear doors lower and outside black trim rattle. took out and treated. noice killed

4. all the weather seals on inner side of the door....give out " pak pak pak pak" sound when driving on bumpy road. noise killed by sticking fabric strip.

5.Cracking sound from left hand side, rear, source unknow.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2020, 07:09 PM   #4
initialM
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 535i M-sport

These noises are nuisance and I oppose taking it to the dealer again since it's kind of hard to pinpoint exactly what it is. From my personal experience, it seems as if dealer has to find something and perform repair to charge BMW when under warranty even though it is not the root cause of the issue. Clearly it wasn't because the noise came back. They should be upfront if they can't find the issue. Much prefer honesty and a failed cover up
Appreciate 0