BMW X1 (F48) and X2 (F39) Forums General BMW X2 Forum (F39) x2 20d xdrive

01-23-2020, 05:33 AM   #1
Shadowdemon1
Private
Rep
Drives: X3M Competition, X2 20d xdrive

x2 20d xdrive

Hello hello

It seems as though everyone on this thread has x235is! We brought an x2 20d xdrive for my wife a month back and I am really really impressed with the car!

For some reason, i get a LOT of satisfaction from driving this car. The build quality and handling are fantastic, though the ride can be a bit jittery at times over pot holes. I also think this car is as quick as you need on the british public road, the drive train, chassis and four wheel drive make for rapid, effortless progress.

Big fan of this vehicle and the x2 in general. What do you guys think?
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2020, 07:01 AM   #2
floydarogers
Curmudgeon and Pedant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 335d, 2014 328d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowdemon1 View Post
It seems as though everyone on this thread has x235is! We brought an x2 20d xdrive for my wife a month back and I am really really impressed with the car!

For some reason, i get a LOT of satisfaction from driving this car. The build quality and handling are fantastic, though the ride can be a bit jittery at times over pot holes. I also think this car is as quick as you need on the british public road, the drive train, chassis and four wheel drive make for rapid, effortless progress.

Well, I don't have mine yet; couple weeks. Seems like the M235 is the hot ticket and everyone has to wait...

My wife's 2014 328xd has the same (or similar) engine/drivetrain that yours has; agree that it's plenty powerful and responsive. We don't get the diesel over here in the USA/CA - thanks VW - I might have bought one if available. But the M235 is going to be a sweet ride, if a bit jittery (I bought the adaptive suspension so that may help.)
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2020, 09:09 AM   #3
dianebrat
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 orange x2 xDrive28i

The M35i folks just like to boast and are a more chatty group, but trust me, plenty of non-M35i folks hanging around here enjoying the groove
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2020, 10:17 AM   #4
rice_rocket88
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E60 F48 F39

I feel like I bought the red headed stepchild since there are almost no X2's around. Here in Boston there are plenty of cars to be seen of every luxury brand, but tops I see one a month, and it's never an m35i ... and usually it's bone stock with a middle aged woman driving it. Still, I have always loved the lines .. but never the extra C pillar roundels. Once the bump in the motor came out, however, it really drew me further towards it. I do wish there was a little more activity both in the forums, and with the aftermarket.. but face it, it's no 3 series that probably outsells it by many factors.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2020, 10:41 AM   #5
Tom Tallon
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 335 XDRIVE

Quote:
Hello hello

SD

Remember most people on this forum are Yanks who favour the 300 hp X2. I have a similar model to you but petrol 2.0i xdrive about the same bhp as yours I think.

A great car if a little rare on British roads - I went for the 17 inch wheels non run flat - no trace of jitters at all and rides as good as my old 330D with adaptive suspension. I think the tyres make the difference as they are 225/55 17s witha 5 inch well cushioned sidewall and no trace of harshness that larger wheels may have. I'm pleased you're enjoying this rather rare car!
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2020, 11:45 AM   #6
Shadowdemon1
Private
Rep
Drives: X3M Competition, X2 20d xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Tallon View Post
SD

Remember most people on this forum are Yanks who favour the 300 hp X2. I have a similar model to you but petrol 2.0i xdrive about the same bhp as yours I think.

A great car if a little rare on British roads - I went for the 17 inch wheels non run flat - no trace of jitters at all and rides as good as my old 330D with adaptive suspension. I think the tyres make the difference as they are 225/55 17s witha 5 inch well cushioned sidewall and no trace of harshness that larger wheels may have. I'm pleased you're enjoying this rather rare car!
I ideally wanted to run smaller tyres, but we ended up getting a strong deal on a car with the 19s. In the UK would suspect the optional 20s would be ridiculous!

We also have it in the galvanic gold, so definitely a rare sight around these ends!

The 300hp engine must be sweet in this car. Wonder if they will do a full fat M...
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2020, 12:03 PM   #7
dianebrat
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 orange x2 xDrive28i

Quote:
Originally Posted by rice_rocket88 View Post
I feel like I bought the red headed stepchild since there are almost no X2's around. Here in Boston there are plenty of cars to be seen of every luxury brand, but tops I see one a month, and it's never an m35i ... and usually it's bone stock with a middle aged woman driving it. Still, I have always loved the lines .. but never the extra C pillar roundels. Once the bump in the motor came out, however, it really drew me further towards it. I do wish there was a little more activity both in the forums, and with the aftermarket.. but face it, it's no 3 series that probably outsells it by many factors.
I came from a Focus RS so that's my performance baseline, but I didn't need the M35i which had the same performance when the base x2 has the same spirited performance my old Focus ST had and it's quite enjoyable.

I LOVE the c-pillar roundels, it helped me consider it because they're unique. I don't see anywhere near the number of x2's that I do x1's but that makes sense with the sales numbers, I routinely see 3 or 4 base x2's a week of varying colors, but not any M35is.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2020, 03:46 PM   #8
rice_rocket88
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E60 F48 F39

The C pillar roundels are definitely unique.. but seems to scream out "hey guys I have a bmw!!" Also.. to the comments of the Yanks... most states here have major differences between merging from the local roads to the freeways that go in general 70-80mph. Sure the speed limit is 60mph but nobody goes that slow. Having that extra room to give it the extra oomph puts a huge smile on my face. In my own home town in Canada there is literally no such transitions to do this in.. and most highways are heavily patrolled by police and photo radar, so I wouldn't see any reason for a car even 200 hp let alone the m35i model of 300 ... or any of the other models at 550hp. My wife has had a '16 X1 and it's still a good drive. For me it was a little too boring compared to my modified e60 535xi so the X2 m35i fit nicely for my new car.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2020, 08:23 PM   #9
Patrick852
Private First Class
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: 15 320iED, 18 X2 sDrive20i MSX

Quote:
Hello hello

Does it come with 8AT or DCT? Mine is sDrive 20i with 7-speed DCT, it looks to me all American models came with 8AT here.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2020, 04:12 PM   #10
Villenoir
Rep
Drives: X2

Quote:
I ideally wanted to run smaller tyres, but we ended up getting a strong deal on a car with the 19s. In the UK would suspect the optional 20s would be ridiculous!

We also have it in the galvanic gold, so definitely a rare sight around these ends!

The 300hp engine must be sweet in this car. Wonder if they will do a full fat M...
I've got the detuned 20d: 18d xdrive, M-Sport in Misano Blue.
Its still quite torquey with a family of four and luggage.
Its our little ASBO, wearing 20" alloys, i dont think they are that bad on UK roads. We opted for these over 19" alloys as visually they looked better and we think they filled the arches more.

Even after a year of ownership its still a head turner where ever we go.

Enjoy your new car as i am sure you will.🙂
Appreciate 0