BMW
X1 / X2
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW X1 (F48) and X2 (F39) Forums General BMW X1 Forum (F48) Introducing the all new 2016 BMW X1 (F48)

06-03-2015, 10:11 AM   #133
WilliCO
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 F10 535 xDrive MSport

The appearance of this car is a pretty dramatic improvement over the existing X1. The proportions on this car are better than the X3, to my eyes, and more than a little.

I would never buy something like this without AWD, so I reserve judgment on the drivetrain feel. Audi does an excellent job converting FWD designs to into AWD platforms that drive well. Let's see what BMW can do.

But...I'm not interested unless they put the N55/B58 in this.
      06-03-2015, 10:17 AM   #134
gongtowjai
I'll Kung Fu Panda your ass
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 F30 XDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliCO View Post
The appearance of this car is a pretty dramatic improvement over the existing X1. The proportions on this car are better than the X3, to my eyes, and more than a little.

I would never buy something like this without AWD, so I reserve judgment on the drivetrain feel. Audi does an excellent job converting FWD designs to into AWD platforms that drive well. Let's see what BMW can do.

But...I'm not interested unless they put the N55/B58 in this.
Yep...same here. Also, the shifter looks ugly
      06-03-2015, 10:19 AM   #135
Golden Arrow
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F36 430i GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by eau_rouge
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden Arrow View Post
The engine is mounted in the wrong direction, and it powers the wrong wheels.
That is correct.

But most X1 drivers don't really care about that fact. In my opinion, xDrive should be a no brainer when you are having a SUV anyway.

It doesn't make any difference on how the engine is mounted - the X1 is no racecar and there will be no situation where you will recognise a difference in real life.

Interior looks great, but I am not a fan of the new gear shifter for auto transmission. That looks horrible and so much like an Asian car.
The jury is still out for me on the shifter. I've grown accustomed to the electronic paddle-thingy currently found throughout BMW's lineup and like that it's different from what other automakers have.
2003 330xi (Forever in my heart )
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2015, 10:33 AM   #136
Teutonic
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul-Bracq-BMW View Post
Maybe you should choose a more diplomatic way to express your opinions too. No I haven't driven the Active Tourer, but yes I have driven the Megane, but also FFord and F2000 single seaters, so I probably know a thing or two about RWD... My naive opinion as you might say comes from knowledge of the industry. How do you think Porsche finance the R&D of their 911? not with the sales of Boxsters and Caymans mind you. You can prefer the old model but I can bet you that this generation will outsell the previous one by far and will prove to be one of the most popular BMW's. You might like RWD, but the vast majority of the target people for this vehicle care about the safety of FWD, a bigger cabin space and maybe less about how "fun" it is to drive. People who like RWD will always find other vehicles BMW offers and that's why think the debate between RWD and FWD a little old. People always like to complain even though they have plenty to choose from.
You still don't get it. If I want a smaller SAV with a true Xdrive, hence a RWD biased system, where is it? Nowhere, BMW destroyed it.
Not everybody wants an X3, too big for some people.
Not everybody wants or can afford a second car regardless they have "plenty to choose from". And why two cars when we need one that does it all? The actual one is RWd and AWDon the same package; very attractive as a whole.
Not everybody lives in Australia or South to not care about a true AWD.
Some people want a small SAV, with a capable AWD system able to handle harsh winters and with BMW DNA since it is a BMW.
If BMW is not Xdrive anymore, why bother? Why should I buy a compromise?
Haldex with less power and still premium price? For what?
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2015, 10:39 AM   #137
Kwando
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i xDrive

Shifter doesn't really bother me since you don't see it when driving. It's these hideous steering wheels I can't stand. M-sport wheel looks many times better.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2015, 10:40 AM   #138
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Smog machines

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul-Bracq-BMW View Post
Maybe you should choose a more diplomatic way to express your opinions too. No I haven't driven the Active Tourer, but yes I have driven the Megane, but also FFord and F2000 single seaters, so I probably know a thing or two about RWD... My naive opinion as you might say comes from knowledge of the industry. How do you think Porsche finance the R&D of their 911? not with the sales of Boxsters and Caymans mind you. You can prefer the old model but I can bet you that this generation will outsell the previous one by far and will prove to be one of the most popular BMW's. You might like RWD, but the vast majority of the target people for this vehicle care about the safety of FWD, a bigger cabin space and maybe less about how "fun" it is to drive. People who like RWD will always find other vehicles BMW offers and that's why think the debate between RWD and FWD a little old. People always like to complain even though they have plenty to choose from.
You still don't get it. If I want a smaller SAV with a true Xdrive, hence a RWD biased system, where is it? Nowhere, BMW destroyed it.
Not everybody wants or can afford a second car regardless they have "plenty to choose from".
Some people want a small SAV, with a capable AWD system able to handle harsh winters and with BMW DNA since it is a BMW.
If BMW is not Xdrive anymore, why bother?
Don't kid yourself. You have a quick X1 that does well at the track. But STi's and Evos have been doing just fine with fwd based setups and the Golf R, Focus RS and probably the next MazdaSpeed3 will all do the same with fwd based systems.

The good news is that the F48 appears to not be using Haldex, much like the Focus RS. The rwd chassis of the E84 made packaging horrible for a car of its size (queue alfista and his Saab 9-3). This car makes absolutely more sense than the last one for 99% of its potential audience. Add a hotter motor and it will likely out perform our stock 35i.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2015, 10:49 AM   #139
ssedha
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Uber / Lyft / CTA

Quote:
Originally Posted by gongtowjai View Post
Yep...same here. Also, the shifter looks ugly
Looks like someone came across a General Motors shifter bin and someone at BMW picked these up (probably cause they were free)! The old X1 shifter looks great compared to this.
Exterior looks wise, it's way ahead of the current X1 and that brown interior - OMG!!! Why can't the 3 series have that?
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2015, 11:29 AM   #140
sjpaul
Private
Rep
Drives: F30

This little X1 looks fantastic! From a design perspective it is SOmuch more desirable than the GLA or Q3.

This thing is gonna sell like hotcakes.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2015, 11:33 AM   #141
sjpaul
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracus View Post
Not everybody wants or can afford a second car regardless they have "plenty to choose from". And why two cars when we need one that does it all? The actual one is RWd and AWDon the same package; very attractive as a whole.
If BMW is not Xdrive anymore, why bother? Why should I buy a compromise?
Are you seriously complaining that there is some niche that BMW has not filled??

Maybe you should look to some other manufacturer for your small RWD-based-AWD CUV-but-not-a-wagon.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2015, 11:36 AM   #142
Skeiz
Belgium
Rep
Drives: :(

For those that would like to know what it looks like in M-Sport trim: http://www.bmw.be/nl/new-vehicles/x/...rustingen.html
There are a few interior and exterior renders of it on that page.

I think the M-Sport rear bumper looks a bit silly compared to the one of the Sport model. The front looks nice though.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2015, 11:40 AM   #143
sjpaul
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliCO View Post

The really significant difference is that Audi's A4-and-above cars are FWD based but they are longitudinal engine-transmission layouts. The X1 is a transverse engine layout (same is true of A3).

Now, all is not doom-and-gloom, IMO. Mini uses a transverse layout, and their cars are a HOOT to drive with minimal torque steer. So I remain optimistic that BMW will do transverse well based on their experience with Mini. We shall see...
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2015, 12:11 PM   #144
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeropixel
I lost track on how many model SUVs BMW is making

This statement Says a lot about you ...... more than you think ! Lol

Last edited by M3 Adjuster; 06-03-2015 at 12:23 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2015, 12:18 PM   #145
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by W///

I agree with you. I have no idea what that other guy was talking about. Are people taking their BMW X1 to track days?

And it's hilariously naive for him to think that FWD are all dull. Obviously never driven a MINI. Hell that car is more fun than a majority of the RWD cars in BMW's current lineup.

Most BMWs ARE appropriate for track days.. and since you asked.. I happened across this X1 track day thread just a few days ago

http://e84.xbimmers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=971464

As far as I am concerned.. the X1 is very similar to other models like the Subaru Forester... they are SUVs that have a low center of gravity, wide stance, powerful motors that can be tuned... so yes.. people will also track them.

Agree wholeheartedly on the MINI... and the naivette with respect to FWD

Last edited by M3 Adjuster; 06-03-2015 at 12:24 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2015, 12:28 PM   #146
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by misterbeemer View Post
Looks a lot better than the previous gen, but it just blends in with the rest of the cheaper SUVs out there like the Hyundai Tucson/Santa Fe Sport. Driving the wrong wheels and seems underpowered. Shifter seems like the outcome of cost cutting.

Other than that, the interior is a lot better! And thankfully, the headlights do not merge in to the grille.

Six pages in, and people still don't know what wheels are driven...
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2015, 12:37 PM   #147
Jason
Administrator
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Added some official wallpapers:

BMW X1 (F48) Wallpapers

Subscribe to Bimmerpost Youtube Channel
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2015, 12:43 PM   #148
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Smog machines

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Adjuster
Quote:
Originally Posted by misterbeemer View Post
Looks a lot better than the previous gen, but it just blends in with the rest of the cheaper SUVs out there like the Hyundai Tucson/Santa Fe Sport. Driving the wrong wheels and seems underpowered. Shifter seems like the outcome of cost cutting.

Other than that, the interior is a lot better! And thankfully, the headlights do not merge in to the grille.

Six pages in, and people still don't know what wheels are driven...
It's nice of you to point out your own lack of knowledge. Awd/=Awd. It was even mentioned a few posts before yours that the A4 and A3 are both awd, but go about it completely differently.

Neither is bad, as I mentioned before, but enthusiasts tend to prefer a longitudinally mounted motor and a rear power bias. This will not have that.

And yes, enthusiasts bought the E84, since in the US the E91 and F31 were not available with the N55, but the E84 was.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2015, 01:13 PM   #149
E92LNGCGY
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F97/Q5/982 GT4

This is much much better. It actually looks like SUV. Great size and seems like good cargo space.

Just wondering if they will have more engine options for Canada in the near future.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2015, 01:17 PM   #150
E92LNGCGY
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F97/Q5/982 GT4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skeiz View Post
For those that would like to know what it looks like in M-Sport trim: http://www.bmw.be/nl/new-vehicles/x/...rustingen.html
There are a few interior and exterior renders of it on that page.

I think the M-Sport rear bumper looks a bit silly compared to the one of the Sport model. The front looks nice though.
Thank you. I was looking for the M sport pictures. You are right the rear bumper is not very attractive.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2015, 01:33 PM   #151
Teutonic
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by W/// View Post
I agree with you. I have no idea what that other guy was talking about. Are people taking their BMW X1 to track days?

And it's hilariously naive for him to think that FWD are all dull. Obviously never driven a MINI. Hell that car is more fun than a majority of the RWD cars in BMW's current lineup.
Right, if I get lucky I will drive one day a Koenigsegg and a Mini.

If you talk about Mini, yes it is fun but even the amateur eye can acknowledge that between the body of a Mini and an X1 there is some difference. One is a "MINI" car, the other is a taller SAV.
Every little car that respect a such recipe will be fun, and it was very well done way before Mini showed up; ever drove a Renault 5?
While the FWD will do just fine on a such car, on X1 it will be different to accomplish a similar behaviour. Total different body (carozzeria).
I hope that you refer to Mini not Countryman which already proves my point and drives... no words for it.

I do own a V6 Sport Coupe with a lot HP on the front wheel, and all I can say is that is not as fun as the little X1 with a four banger on Xdrive.
I also owned in Europe A LOT of FWD cars including the Megane Sport; RWD is different. To achieve a similar behaviour you need to practically scale a such car and call it X1, but is not the case.

Again, as a whole package I find that the old one is a better performer, from more power, to a real Xdrive system.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2015, 01:36 PM   #152
FairfaxM3
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E46 M3, 1M, F82 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden Arrow View Post
I agree with you wholeheartedly regarding a diesel variant. I wish BMW would bring their European diesel models here, or at least allow us to order them with US specs.
BMW could sell me another car today, if they brought their European diesel
2-series or new X1 models to the United States.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2015, 02:31 PM   #153
mylydiamy
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i e93 convertible

It is sad to see how many people care about and focus on the cosmetics such as head lights, kidney grill or hood more than the engine layout, wheels that drive, power and handling....This is NOT how bimmer owners used be
Appreciate 1
      06-03-2015, 02:54 PM   #154
drivethemachine
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW 530e

I've been going through the photos and tech specs, and everywhere I look, I see something other than a BMW.
The seats are different, the speakers are different, even the shape of the armrest is different. I have never seen this stark difference between new-gen releases of BMW's.
The "28i" engine moniker no longer means what it meant (even though it was never a good fit) because it's a downsize. The japanese transmission - again, yes it's an 8-speed so salesmen in the showroom can still tell the customer they are getting an 8-speed just like in an X5.
Everything here screams "parts bin", BMW shopped around to find replacement parts with the same numerical qualities as on the larger models -- except for cheap.

What we have here then is really a KIA.

This is exactly what Kia has been doing against BMW for years. Not saying they are bad cars because they are actually very good. But they are copies of BMW's --- and that's what happened here: BMW COPIED ITSELF.
Appreciate 0