BMW
X1 / X2
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW X1 (F48) and X2 (F39) Forums General BMW X1 Forum (F48) Noise when driving on speed bumps

07-13-2016, 05:47 AM   #1
manub
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G01 M Sport 20d

Noise when driving on speed bumps

I noticed that when I drive over speed bumps or uneven surfaces, there's some vibrations I hear from the cabin - on the left hand side (I drive a UK model so the wheel is on the right hand side). I had it for a couple of months now - thought it was something I put in the trunk but even after emptying it it's still present.

Took it this morning to the garage who said the noise is probably coming from under the armrest. Waiting for them to look at it and repair it (hopefully under warranty!)

Anybody had a similar issue? It's a UK Apr 16 build.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2016, 08:16 AM   #2
PF1
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F48 X1 xDrive25i M Sport

Hey I get a similar kind of noise when going over bumps or rough surfaces. Sounds like a plastic 'clunk' noise somewhere in the cabin, most likely from under the centre armrest as I can also feel a slight vibration under my arm resting on it. I have looked everywhere including taking out the rear airvents and checking under the armrest/console and haven't found the source. Pls let me know what they find and if they fixed it. Mine is RHD Aust-spec, Jan 16 build.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2016, 08:50 AM   #3
smv
Private
Rep
Drives: F48 X1 25D Xdrive

I had a horrible cracking noise coming for the top of the armrest, wether I rested my arm on it or not. Dealer changed the whole armrest under warranty..
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2016, 10:21 AM   #4
Les Paul
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X1 2.0D Xline Auto

http://f48.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1256664

Not very good at IT/posting so hope thread link works :- might be something of help here.
I put some velcro between the underbody panel and bracket mentioned in the thread an no further noise.

I still get a very occassional tiny (but annoying) intermittent vibration from the speaker in center of dash. It stops for ages, if I slightly pull the finewood trim on the passenger side. Too quiet to video and never happens reliably enough to demonstrate to dealer!

Finaly one obvious one but worth checking glovebox...we got a loud vibration which sounded to me like passenger side door area....turned out the "string" wrist strap of my camera case had slipped through bottom of glovebox and I didn't realise glovebox was not shutting properly and cause rattle/vibration when hitting any bumps. Really loud and odd because not coming from glovebox area!
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2016, 10:33 AM   #5
jsdh89j9ijkL
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: motorcycle

You're not the only one.

The noise is from the rear boot / seat area. Drives me bonkers.

All the rear seat belts are in, arm rest up, no missing clips for the rear shelves.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2016, 12:06 PM   #6
manub
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

Yup I checked the glovebox and possibly also the seat but the noise is still there!

Dealer called me - they did some tightenings but they need to test drive the car again as it's been very wet today so I should hear back from them tomorrow. To be honest it didn't sound as coming from the armrest to me but from the back seats?

Anyway I'll keep you posted if they fix it and what they've found.

My noise is sometimes a bit clunky, but more usually sound like plastic vibrations.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2016, 06:02 PM   #7
ttimbo
Major
Rep
Drives: F48 X1 25i AW; F20 M135i AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsdh89j9ijkL
You're not the only one.

The noise is from the rear boot / seat area. Drives me bonkers.

All the rear seat belts are in, arm rest up, no missing clips for the rear shelves.
Just check the parcel shelf is properly seated in the clips...I had this, checked, rechecked...and took everything out and refitted...and it stopped! If I'm mad, there's a chance you are, too

Yes, I have an occasional centre armrest rattle, but can't locate the source. Jan 16 build, Australia
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2016, 08:39 PM   #8
PF1
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by manub View Post
Yup I checked the glovebox and possibly also the seat but the noise is still there!

Dealer called me - they did some tightenings but they need to test drive the car again as it's been very wet today so I should hear back from them tomorrow. To be honest it didn't sound as coming from the armrest to me but from the back seats?
Yes mine also 'sounds' like it comes from the back seat or rear footwell area. But 'feels' like from the armrest. It's odd, maybe to do with how sounds bounce around in the car. I've tied up any loose cables under the front seats, and looked for loose parts under the rear sliding seat, to no avail. Looked under the car too and put padding between the metal crossbar and plastic cover, also no help. Interestingly when there are passengers in the rear, or with the rear seats folded, I can't hear the noise much.

This one noise is rather annoying as the car is otherwise pretty quiet and rattle-free compared to my other car.

Last edited by PF1; 07-13-2016 at 09:13 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2016, 03:50 AM   #9
KPD
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F48 xDrive 20i xLine

Other than the rear parcel shelf (fixed now), I've had no squeaks or rattles from the car itself so far.

I replaced my old LifeHammer with one of these monsters a while back. The holster needed a little self engineering with 3M foam tape to make it quiet. But that's about it. Chewing gum bottle is always topped up so they don't bounce around inside!
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2016, 04:36 AM   #10
jsdh89j9ijkL
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: motorcycle

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPD View Post
I replaced my old LifeHammer with one of these monsters a while back. The holster needed a little self engineering with 3M foam tape to make it quiet.
Arrgh... must.resist.temptation.

I too keep a glass hammer under the seats.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2016, 05:30 AM   #11
KPD
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsdh89j9ijkL View Post
Arrgh... must.resist.temptation.

I too keep a glass hammer under the seats.
Go for it. It has a carbide glass breaker and belt cutter plus many more tools that you don't get with the hammer. Solid build quality too.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2016, 04:14 AM   #12
manub
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

So I don't have the details handy on what they've done but apparently they removed the dashboard and tightened up some parts - they tested and looked ok but I still have the noise Took out parcel shelf (both) and still have the noise. Now need to try with the rear seats pulled down - I didn't have time to remove my baby car seat yesterday. The noise seems definitely to be coming from the left back seats area. I really thought it could have been the parcel shelf after looking at this thread, but no luck
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2016, 07:18 AM   #13
PF1
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Thanks for the update. I'm thinking maybe it's not worth the trouble of removing the dashboard to find one noise. My wife says she can't hear it and she drives it 90% of the time. Drives me insane but I might put up with it if it's not an easy fix. Trouble with pulling the car apart is that I might end up with more new rattles...
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2016, 05:33 PM   #14
ttimbo
Major
Rep

The only way to really find where a rattle comes from is to use the tried and true "rattle hunt stethoscope"

This involves having someone else drive your car on roads where the rattle is heard, while you sit in various seat locations with a 1 metre piece of flexible hose, one end to your (master) ear, and the other to various suspect locations.

I must do this
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2016, 02:35 PM   #15
manub
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttimbo View Post
The only way to really find where a rattle comes from is to use the tried and true "rattle hunt stethoscope"

This involves having someone else drive your car on roads where the rattle is heard, while you sit in various seat locations with a 1 metre piece of flexible hose, one end to your (master) ear, and the other to various suspect locations.

I must do this
Yeah - when I was with the technician I drove the car. My wife doesn't drive unfortunately

that said - I left a voicemail to the Post sales agent I took the car to and she didn't call me back in a week! Anyone has a recommendation of a good BMW post sales official repair shop? KPD - I recall you live in Surrey as well...
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2016, 05:39 PM   #16
ttimbo
Major
Rep

It's at about that point that I direct my call to the dealer principal
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2016, 06:38 PM   #17
KPD
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by manub View Post
Yeah - when I was with the technician I drove the car. My wife doesn't drive unfortunately

that said - I left a voicemail to the Post sales agent I took the car to and she didn't call me back in a week! Anyone has a recommendation of a good BMW post sales official repair shop? KPD - I recall you live in Surrey as well...
Replied to your PM: Vines of Guildford. I can't comment on their service department. But I'm hoping that they're as good as their sales and parts. Their body shop was great too. Didn't change their quote and car was ready without any delays. Overall Google review score is average.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2016, 08:26 AM   #18
manub
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

So I brought the car in again and it seems the issue is fixed - they removed parcel shelf and rear seats, and they put everything back in again with a bit of tweaking. Will keep you posted.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2016, 02:51 PM   #19
ScottishX1
Private
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 16 X1 F48 25D M-Sport Estoril

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by KPD View Post
Go for it. It has a carbide glass breaker and belt cutter plus many more tools that you don't get with the hammer. Solid build quality too.
The last time i rolled a car i was fortunate enough to smash all the windows as it went over , the main issue was windscreen area collapsing so that there was no space to climb out until i got the drivers door open (Honda S2000)
Appreciate 1
KPD170.00
      08-09-2016, 04:52 AM   #20
manub
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

The car is fine now! They disassembled back seats and parcel shelf and put them on again. Hopefully won't get this noise anymore
Appreciate 1
KPD170.00
      08-09-2016, 07:55 AM   #21
PF1
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Good to hear!! Maybe I'll ask them to do the same at service time since it sounds like same problem. Cheers!
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2020, 08:13 PM   #22
willin007
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 x28i

Thumbs up Thanks!!!

Guys I just want to say thanks for all posts that were very helpful in order to convince the dealership that there was indeed a noise.
After showing them the SIB number, they took the car in and ran tests including sensors in the frame which they call ears to locate the noise and found that the lower motor mount which is a wishbone was the problem. I'm happy to report that now my 2016 X1 is noise free. !!!
Appreciate 0