BMW
X1 / X2
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW X1 (F48) and X2 (F39) Forums General BMW X2 Forum (F39) ACC Issues - repeated failure

01-13-2020, 02:55 PM   #1
skr9
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X2 M35i, 2001 Audi TT

ACC Issues - repeated failure

Curious to hear if anyone else has this option and having any issues.

I specifically ordered my X2 M because this is a 'must have' feature for me, and no local BMW dealers had an X2M in stock with the option.

The system has been buggy since day 1 where it would give out on occasion, but now it regularly faults any time I use it. Doing my usual 3 hour drive home from Maine yesterday, clean windshield, clear weather, nothing in front of me, and the system deactivated at least 6 times. This happens routinely, and more alerting, the system has even applied the brakes (the red following car icon lights up) even though there is nothing in front of me.

My dealer has recommended I bring the car in for a service appt. - but curious if anyone in this community has experienced similar issues.

My fear is that this is just a poorly executed system - as it a 'camera-only' system with no radar sensor (more cost-cutting by BMW), and have read in various other forums that camera-only systems are not as dependable as radar based systems.

Eager to hear from other owners on experience with this.

Last edited by skr9; 01-13-2020 at 03:53 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2020, 08:28 PM   #2
rice_rocket88
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E60 F48 F39

Hey man, sorry to hear about the ongoing issues with ACC! My only comment is that in my car the warning lights (red or yellow car) I'm not sure if it has ever turned on by itself when there were no cars around. It does pop up when I get very near cars and/or they cut me off nicely. I'm not sure if I told you that twice the pedestrian warning came up on me when driving in my parking garage. Once it did punch the brakes which I did not appreciate.. considering the parking lot was not very full and there definitely wasn't a person walking around. Those sum up my "false alarms". Sounds like your ACC is seeing/not seeing a lot more than my car which makes it even buggier.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2020, 01:55 AM   #3
satz
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X3 M40i

I've had problems since day one with the ACC. Especially relating to oncoming sunlight switching the system off. Also sometimes it feels like it's not going to detect a stationary car in front of me so I manually slam on the brakes.

Raised this issue with an actual BMW Genius at the BMW Welt in Munich during my visit last week....on the way to seeing the next door BMW Museum

He admitted having similar problems and told me that the new One Series has a radar-based ACC, and that the X2 will probably have this system when the next update is done.

By the way the BMW Welt was nothing more than a super showroom for all BMW models, as well as Rolls Royce and Mini. Large number of visitors, but you could only sit in a few cars (eg X2, X3, etc) which you could in any neighbourhood BMW dealership. At least it was free.

The Museum was interesting in its collection, but I felt it was very haphazardly laid out, forcing you to go back through an exhibition that you've seen, in order to move on to something else.

Predictably the focus is on 'environmental friendliness' with i8 and i3 prominently focused on.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2020, 12:41 PM   #4
skr9
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X2 M35i, 2001 Audi TT

Quote:
Originally Posted by satz View Post
I've had problems since day one with the ACC. Especially relating to oncoming sunlight switching the system off. Also sometimes it feels like it's not going to detect a stationary car in front of me so I manually slam on the brakes.

Raised this issue with an actual BMW Genius at the BMW Welt in Munich during my visit last week....on the way to seeing the next door BMW Museum

He admitted having similar problems and told me that the new One Series has a radar-based ACC, and that the X2 will probably have this system when the next update is done.

By the way the BMW Welt was nothing more than a super showroom for all BMW models, as well as Rolls Royce and Mini. Large number of visitors, but you could only sit in a few cars (eg X2, X3, etc) which you could in any neighbourhood BMW dealership. At least it was free.

The Museum was interesting in its collection, but I felt it was very haphazardly laid out, forcing you to go back through an exhibition that you've seen, in order to move on to something else.

Predictably the focus is on 'environmental friendliness' with i8 and i3 prominently focused on.
Thanks for that feedback. I honestly don't know if I can live with this car long-term if this feature will not work properly. They really should have installed a radar unit like most every other car maker does.
Appreciate 0