BMW
X1 / X2
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X1 (F48) and X2 (F39) Forums General BMW X1 Forum (F48) Figured out how to replace sagging sunshade

07-04-2021, 04:15 PM   #1
curttp
Rep
Drives: 2014 X1

Figured out how to replace sagging sunshade

The problem of sun roof shade panels deteriorating and the fabric sagging down has been around for a long time.

I just finished working on my wife's 2014 X1, spent 4 days, 8hrs/
day. I got two new shades in, but now the sunroof does not work at all.

The main problem with the entire repair is getting the rear panel out and a new one in. To do this you have to remove the entire ceiling panel, and the ENTIRE Sunroof Cassette.

I figured out a way to do the job in a few hours rather than a few days

Basic Procedure is:

1. Move the shades to the retraced position, put the front glass in the vent position, remove the 6 screws holding the front glass in and remove the glass, remove the 4 screws holding the front shade in position,

2. Assuming your rear panel is already a disaster, cut the panel with a box cutter at each side about 2" from the edge. Then reach in above the remaining pieces of the shade and remove the 4 screws holding the two remaining pieces of the rear shade.

3. Take your new rear panel, and poke 4 holes through it to line up with the four tabs that that hold the panel in. Now you will have to force the panel into the two side tracks, it is very flexible, so just pushup in the middle and it should go into the tracks. Now use 4 stainless steal screws, push them through the holes punchered in the panel and screw into the tabs.

4. Replace the front glass and sliding panel.

You will have the 4 stainless steal screws showing, but assuming your car is already about 10 years old, and the a dealer will charge thousands of dollars, it think it is worth it.

You can get new shades from many on line vendors, cost about $250 each. BMW Technical Information Sheets (TIS) with give you pictures and screw locations are also available on line.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2024, 04:44 AM   #2
kinstak
Rep
Drives: F48, E84

Hi curttp , great post! I have been reading your messages across different posts, as I am attempting something similar on my E84 X1.

Just a couple of questions:

- Confirming this is for the E84 model (must be b/c of they year, but given this is the F48 forum, wanted to confirm)
- Using your method, is it possible to remove the rear panel and reuse it (bring it to an upholstery shop) without having to cut through it?
- Could you elaborate on how you replaced the front Panel? Did you have to cut through it as well?
- Would you say it is easier to do it with the front panel or rear panel? Only one of the 2 (believe it is the rear one) is sagging for me.
- Did you think of using headliner rivets as a fix? Would you say it is viable to do if if anything else fails?
Appreciate 0