BMW
X1 / X2
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X1 (F48) and X2 (F39) Forums General BMW X1 Forum (F48) Retrofit instrument cluster

04-29-2022, 05:55 PM   #23
Fast35i
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 f82 M4 , 2011 335is cou

Quote:
Originally Posted by stealth1 View Post
Okay, so I decided to "go for it" with a "basis" level cluster that does not have expanded content, hoping to avoid coding.

The cluster is factory new.
My 2017 X1 has retrofitted NBT EVO with 10" touch screen. When this was done, among the coding challenges is that it had to be re-coded for my "basis" level instrument cluster - so I anticipated this cluster to work as my original one did

I plugged the new cluster in; it illuminated and began giving a series of error messages. My idrive also showed a 16 error messages - mostly related to service related stuff, setting the clock, but also "instrument cluster error". Another oddity as that suddenly my HVAC controls and idrive were suddenly reading out in metric. When I started the car, the tach and spedometer remained at zero. The odometer reading remained at zero.

Is there a procedure I need to do to "reset" things, so the new cluster is recognized? (still hoping to avoided coding)

Thanks for any help!
Hi to getting everything work correctly you have to get it coded for the car to recognize the new change I'm in the process of doing the same thing.

With the x5 10 .25 Navi Monitor
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2022, 09:32 PM   #24
stealth1
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: F48 X1

Thanks for the reply Fast35i.
Are there straight forward instructions for coding the cluster anywhere? I have the software but have not coded myself, but am savvy enough to figure it out if I have a guide. Fallback: who is the cost-conscious go-to for remote coding tweaks like this?

Btw- there actually is a 10” screen made for the X1’s, so you don’t have to adapt from another car if you can get your hands on one of these. They were sold in parts of Asia, no where else from what I could tell. It’s touch screen and works flawlessly with the whole interface including CarPlay. I didn’t know this until stumbling across it, was planning a retrofit from another car too, originally.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast35i View Post
Hi to getting everything work correctly you have to get it coded for the car to recognize the new change I'm in the process of doing the same thing.

With the x5 10 .25 Navi Monitor
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2023, 02:55 PM   #25
wcruzeiro
Private
Brazil
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 F48

Garage List
2018 BMW X1 F48  [0.00]
Guys,

To perform the retrofit basic cluster to 6WA what is needed in terms of Esys code?

The scenario is as follows:

New or virgin cluster, MOST cable connected to ENTRYNAV headunit with navigation (S6UNA).

I would like to install the new cluster and activate Navigation Plus (S6UPA).

Thanks,
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2023, 04:56 PM   #26
wcruzeiro
Private
Brazil
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW X1 F48  [0.00]
Now all that's needed is coding.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-31-2023, 05:36 PM   #27
mrpingu
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 F48 X1 xDrive 18D

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by wcruzeiro View Post
Now all that's needed is coding.
Nice! Coding is not that hard, just install e-sys and press code. As long your VO is correct it will be OK ☺️
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2023, 06:06 PM   #28
wcruzeiro
Private
Brazil
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW X1 F48  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpingu View Post
Nice! Coding is not that hard, just install e-sys and press code. As long your VO is correct it will be OK ☺️
Without a doubt of all the retrofits this is the one that is taking the most work to make work. We are unable to code the new cluster at all.

In ISTA shows no communication. I don't know what else to do.

Most cable is connected and shows red signal in both directions, from HU to Cluster and from Cluster to HU...
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-15-2023, 08:18 PM   #29
wcruzeiro
Private
Brazil
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW X1 F48  [0.00]
The problem was the MOST cable.
The fibers were inverted, so after correcting it was possible to easily code.

Is beautiful. I liked the analog + digital look.
Now it is Ok to receive headup display 🫣
Appreciate 1
iceman7117.00
      08-16-2023, 12:32 AM   #30
mrpingu
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
The problem was the MOST cable.
The fibers were inverted, so after correcting it was possible to easily code.

Is beautiful. I liked the analog + digital look.
Now it is Ok to receive headup display 🫣
Good you sorted it out.
Remember for head-up you also need to replace your windscreen.

Just that got me thinking: The amount of money you are pouring into this vehicle is massive, wasn’t it better to buy a more featured car? What is the reason you choose to retrofit this much?
Appreciate 1
      08-16-2023, 02:32 PM   #31
wcruzeiro
Private
Brazil
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW X1 F48  [0.00]
Quote:
Good you sorted it out.
Remember for head-up you also need to replace your windscreen.

Just that got me thinking: The amount of money you are pouring into this vehicle is massive, wasn’t it better to buy a more featured car? What is the reason you choose to retrofit this much?
I am very curious. So I'm buying features to this car but also the knoledge of what is possible and how to do it.
But you are right it is a considerable amount of money.

Next year maybe I will looking for another toy. =D
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2023, 02:49 PM   #32
mrpingu
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I am very curious. So I'm buying features to this car but also the knoledge of what is possible and how to do it.
But you are right it is a considerable amount of money.

Next year maybe I will looking for another toy. =D
I get that, I am curious myself and have been upgrading some of the things you are upgrading aswell.

235 Towing hitch done
5DP Parking Assistant in progress
674 Harman Kardon in Progress

But some things like new cluster, newer gearstick and Comfort Access. I just dropped because too much work involved. But I agree it’s cool to learn.

HUD is one the things I don’t think is worth retrofitting because you need to replace your windscreen and change the whole dashboard trim that why I bought it with the car.
Comfort Acces is not worth it because you need to program the keys and install many antennas however I would have liked the feature but can live without…

Just keep me updated with your progress it’s cool to see what you are doing, impressive job so far.
Appreciate 1
      08-16-2023, 03:21 PM   #33
wcruzeiro
Private
Brazil
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW X1 F48  [0.00]
Quote:
I get that, I am curious myself and have been upgrading some of the things you are upgrading aswell.

235 Towing hitch done
5DP Parking Assistant in progress
674 Harman Kardon in Progress

But some things like new cluster, newer gearstick and Comfort Access. I just dropped because too much work involved. But I agree it’s cool to learn.

HUD is one the things I don’t think is worth retrofitting because you need to replace your windscreen and change the whole dashboard trim that why I bought it with the car.
Comfort Acces is not worth it because you need to program the keys and install many antennas however I would have liked the feature but can live without…

Just keep me updated with your progress it’s cool to see what you are doing, impressive job so far.
About HUD.
Yes, it is necessary to change the windshield but in my case I will solve 2 problems because it will also be possible to add Kafas. Both are on the way =D
And this feature was never offered in the Brazilian market for the F48, so it will be a unique project.

About the trim, from what I researched it is possible to cut and install the HUD. There are some markings of where to be cut inside.

Confort Access, I have my doubts if it is necessary to change the key or if it just needs to be reprogrammed. But I agree with you, it's something I can live without.

Certainly, while I'm doing the retrofits I will post here and also looking for tips.
Appreciate 1
mrpingu180.50
      08-17-2023, 03:45 AM   #34
mrpingu
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
About HUD.
Yes, it is necessary to change the windshield but in my case I will solve 2 problems because it will also be possible to add Kafas. Both are on the way =D
And this feature was never offered in the Brazilian market for the F48, so it will be a unique project.

About the trim, from what I researched it is possible to cut and install the HUD. There are some markings of where to be cut inside.

Confort Access, I have my doubts if it is necessary to change the key or if it just needs to be reprogrammed. But I agree with you, it's something I can live without.

Certainly, while I'm doing the retrofits I will post here and also looking for tips.

You made me thinking; Comfort acces can be retrofitted without too much cost, just lots of time from what I understand. Because the wires run all over the car but otherwise doable.

It's just adding the antennas/aerials + change door handles and run wires to the BDC.

If you are lucky you already have the correct wiring loom in the door and you only need to source/replace the handles and run wires from the door connector to the BDC.

Smart trunk opener is a little bit more work but not too bad either. Going to do a pin check on BDC & door wires soon.
Appreciate 1
      09-05-2023, 03:20 PM   #35
wcruzeiro
Private
Brazil
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW X1 F48  [0.00]
Guys,

If you're wondering if there's a problem with the MOST Cable, it's easy to check that the unit is sending a signal at both edges.
Just unplug one side and check for the red light signal. One lane sends data and the other receives, meaning only 1 will be lit on each side when you do this test.
Make sure both sides are not sending or receiving a signal in the same lane or it will cause the ECU communication fail as mentioned above.

Also check if the MOST cable is properly connected to the headunit.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-08-2024, 03:31 PM   #36
SteelFK1
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: bmw e91

I hope for your support...

I made a mistake when re-soldering the LEDs (from orange to white) and broke my Cluster, so I bought a brand new, unused black panel Cluster.

I have read sooo many threads... one says coding... the other says no coding necessary... the other with MOST cable...

I have the smallest Cluster, only a small digital display in the middle, no HeadUP either.

I'm sure it won't be a simple conversion and that's it?
May I ask what kind of coding I need to do?

FDL under the station wagon? If so, what needs to be changed to what?
6WA 6WB does not work as this is not supported by the F48.

Can someone provide me with some kind of instructions?
Appreciate 0