BMW
X1 / X2
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X1 (F48) and X2 (F39) Forums General BMW X1 Forum (F48) low-gas chime gone after AvinUSA headuit retrofit

02-03-2024, 07:18 PM   #1
GaramondBold
Rep
Drives: 2016 F48

low-gas chime gone after AvinUSA headuit retrofit

I did the AvinUSA headunit retrofit on my 2016 F48, after watching install videos by BMW DIY Guy and a few others.

On the whole it's good: A bit of jankiness where sometimes CarPlay comes on automatically (which I want), but it's not 100% reliable, sometimes takes a few keypresses to get from Android OS screen to CarPlay.

Here's my problem: It took me a while to notice, but it seems like I've busted some communication in the car when I installed the headunit. Things I've noticed:
  • Seatbelt chime no longer occurs
  • Low gas chime alert doesn't happen (I can see it on display tho)
  • Kombi display always asks me to set time/date, it never sticks
  • If I go from Android to BMW display (holding menu for 3 seconds) certain menu items in "vehicle info" are coming up blank -- check control doesn't show anything.
  • I also seem to have lost "miles" remaining for gas

Any thoughts on what might be going on? The only programming I did was change displays size and resolution.

I had a really hard time squeezing the new headunit control box in with all the wires on the install... worried I've broken a connection somewhere.

Figured I'd check in with folks here before I dis-assemble everything, has anybody else experienced anything like this? Is there a certain cable I should keep an eye on when I do try and un-assemble and re-assemble everything?

thx!
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2024, 07:21 PM   #2
BMW DIY Guy
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Competition

Garage List
2024 BMW M2  [9.80]
2017 BMW X1  [10.00]
2001 BMW X5  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by GaramondBold View Post
I did the AvinUSA headunit retrofit on my 2016 F48, after watching install videos by BMW DIY Guy and a few others.

On the whole it's good: A bit of jankiness where sometimes CarPlay comes on automatically (which I want), but it's not 100% reliable, sometimes takes a few keypresses to get from Android OS screen to CarPlay.

Here's my problem: It took me a while to notice, but it seems like I've busted some communication in the car when I installed the headunit. Things I've noticed:

Seatbelt chime no longer occurs
Low gas chime alert doesn't happen (I can see it on display tho)
Kombi display always asks me to set time/date, it never sticks
If I go from Android to BMW display (holding menu for 3 seconds) certain menu items in "vehicle info" are coming up blank — check control doesn't show anything.
I also seem to have lost "miles" remaining for gas

Any thoughts on what might be going on? The only programming I did was change displays size and resolution.

I had a really hard time squeezing the new headunit control box in with all the wires on the install... worried I've broken a connection somewhere.

Figured I'd check in with folks here before I dis-assemble everything, has anybody else experienced anything like this? Is there a certain cable I should keep an eye on when I do try and un-assemble and re-assemble everything?

thx!
Did you transfer the green optical cable?
'Lillith' F87 M2 Competition Build Thread
Appreciate 1
      02-03-2024, 07:33 PM   #3
GaramondBold
Rep
Drives: 2016 F48

Re: Green optical cable -- ah, is that the one to check? I'm 99% sure that I transferred it, but maybe it wasn't seated properly? (Hope I didn't bust it as I was trying to jam everything it... it was a crazy-tight mess of wires as I tried to squeeze the 2nd box behind the console.)

While I have you -- Any tips/experience on getting CarPlay to boot up more reliably when the Avin headunit first boots? I've figured out the workaround of manually launching Z-link app if it doesn't boot at first, but wish it was more reliable/consistent.

thanks for the fast reply.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2024, 07:56 PM   #4
X1604M
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018, F48 28i

Garage List
2018 BMW X1 F48  [0.00]
I had the same issue with my after market android screen. I did try all the possible means to boot up faster with no success.

At last I had my firmware update plus Carplay activation remotely coded.

It's well worth it. But of course your head unit must have wifi built in. I don't know where you live. Most f48 in North America have head unit with built in wifi.

Kubex86 from Bimmer remote coding did the work on mine.

Now car play connection is very fast. I disable all the apps on the android screen.
Appreciate 1