BMW
X1 / X2
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X1 (F48) and X2 (F39) Forums General BMW X1 Forum (F48) No heat passenger side

01-27-2024, 09:29 AM   #1
rory535
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X1

No heat passenger side

Hi All
So my heat on passenger side of 2016 X1, suddenly went cold. Looking at fault codes, I have a 801228 (Reduction of blower output) and the more concerning one 801189(Right mixed air motor: initialization error) which based on Google indicates an air mixing flap failure.

Drivers side blows hot air as normal. Crappy thing is this looks like the dreaded "remove the entire dash to replace" job? As Ive owned this car Im amazed at how difficult BMW has made to change/repair simple things, as I found out having to simply replace my battery. Anyway, faced with a potential $$k job, Im not sure Id keep the car in that instance, but doesnt seem like this is a very common issue.

I did look at my coolant level and it does seem low, just below min mark, so gonna top that off, but anyone else have this dreaded issue and get repaired?

**UPDATE***
So I had my passenger side temp left on cold for the last 2 days and this morning, I thought let me try it again, turned the temp up and all of a sudden heat was coming out passengers side again. Turned car off came back 20 mins later and now not blowing heat again. Does this confirm a faulty flap and not a heat core issue?

Thanks

Last edited by rory535; 01-27-2024 at 12:13 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2024, 02:22 PM   #2
rory535
Registered
Rep

Ok so thanks to MJE60 for the diagrams, I was able to get to the actuator. Once I removed it and turned the power to the car on, I noticed it spinning and spinning and eventually stopped. I then tried to move the drive shaft knob for the flap by hand and it was stuck. I used a pair of pliers to get it loose and then was freely able to turn it both ways about 70 degrees and could hear the flap open and closing. Turned on my heat and left it in the open position and full heat flowing through passenger side now.

Problem is now when I turn power to car on, the actuator wheels to turn the drive shaft, dont spin at all and its stuck in the wrong position. So not sure if this just means getting a new actuator as maybe its not turning within the stop ranges correctly and jamming the flap. But as it is now, I cant get it back into its proper place to refit it anyway. So do I need to get the actuators recalibrated?
Pic isnt mine but exactly what mine looks like.
Attached Images

Last edited by rory535; 01-27-2024 at 02:56 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2024, 02:09 AM   #3
MJE60
Captain
England
Rep
Drives: BMW G01 xDrive M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by rory535 View Post
Ok so thanks to MJE60 for the diagrams, I was able to get to the actuator. Once I removed it and turned the power to the car on, I noticed it spinning and spinning and eventually stopped. I then tried to move the drive shaft knob for the flap by hand and it was stuck. I used a pair of pliers to get it loose and then was freely able to turn it both ways about 70 degrees and could hear the flap open and closing. Turned on my heat and left it in the open position and full heat flowing through passenger side now.

Problem is now when I turn power to car on, the actuator wheels to turn the drive shaft, dont spin at all and its stuck in the wrong position. So not sure if this just means getting a new actuator as maybe its not turning within the stop ranges correctly and jamming the flap. But as it is now, I cant get it back into its proper place to refit it anyway. So do I need to get the actuators recalibrated?
In the bmw manual it says Required reworking:
Install centre console trim panel on the right side

Servomotors must be readdressed in the event of replacement!
Addressing can only be carried out with the diagnosis system:
Service functions:
Body
Heating/air conditioning function
Flap motors
Readdress flap motors

Imho, recalibration is probably required so that servo knows exact position of flaps (especially if you have moved/forced jammed flaps). How one readdresses servo motors (assuming readdressing means calibrating?! I do not know
The manual only says
Footwell flap motor

The footwell-flap motor is the drive for the two footwell flaps in the footwell. The footwell flaps are used to regulate the ventilation of the vehicle interior in the front left footwell.

The drive is permanently connected to one of the two footwell flaps. The two footwell flaps (footwell flap front left and footwell flap front right) are interconnected via a connecting rod. This enables separate ventilation of the footwells at the front.

The drive consists essentially of the following parts:

Footwell-flap motor (actuator drive)
Electronic module (with integrated switching circuit)
Transmission
Housing
Functional description

The footwell-flap motor is activated via the LIN bus by the control unit for the heater/air conditioning system and supplied with voltage and earth. In the idle state, the control unit for the heater/air conditioning system switches the supply voltage off.

The footwell-flap motor is fitted with an integrated circuit. This circuit controls the coil of the footwell-flap motor. The circuit has bus- and diagnosis capabilities. After activation of the footwell-flap motor, position feedback is provided via the integrated switching circuit (actual position) to the control unit for the heater/air conditioning system.

After the vehicle has stopped and after a specified waiting period (stored in the memory chip of control unit for the heater/air conditioning system), the footwell-flap motor is moved to a certain parking position. The footwell-flap motor is reinitialised to this parking position after starting up.

Deactivation in the event of blocking

The integrated circuit detects blocking of the footwell-flap motor in that there is increased current consumption within the adjustment range. The integrated switching circuit reports the fault via the LIN bus to the control unit for the heater/air conditioning system. The control unit no longer activates the defective footwell-flap motor. If blocking occurs outside of the adjusting range, an end stop is correctly detected.

Reference run

The footwell-flap motor is unable to detect the current position (actual position). The footwell-flap motor always moves relative to an end position of the footwell flap (reference point). One of the end positions of the footwell flap (closed or fully opened) serves as the reference point.

The footwell flaps are moved to an end position after replacement of the control unit for the heater/air conditioning system and after an interruption in the voltage supply.

The end position is selected in such a way that the subsequent nominal position can be reached by the shortest path. The reference run can also be triggered by the BMW diagnostic system.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2024, 02:10 AM   #4
MJE60
Captain
England
Rep
Drives: BMW G01 xDrive M Sport

Quote:

In the bmw manual it says “

Required reworking:
Install centre console trim panel on the right side

Servomotors must be readdressed in the event of replacement!
Addressing can only be carried out with the diagnosis system:
Service functions:
Body
Heating/air conditioning function
Flap motors
Readdress flap motors

Imho, recalibration is probably required so that servo knows exact position of flaps (especially if you have moved/forced jammed flaps). How one readdresses servo motors (assuming readdressing means calibrating?! I do not know
The manual only says
Footwell flap motor

The footwell-flap motor is the drive for the two footwell flaps in the footwell. The footwell flaps are used to regulate the ventilation of the vehicle interior in the front left footwell.

The drive is permanently connected to one of the two footwell flaps. The two footwell flaps (footwell flap front left and footwell flap front right) are interconnected via a connecting rod. This enables separate ventilation of the footwells at the front.

The drive consists essentially of the following parts:

Footwell-flap motor (actuator drive)
Electronic module (with integrated switching circuit)
Transmission
Housing
Functional description

The footwell-flap motor is activated via the LIN bus by the control unit for the heater/air conditioning system and supplied with voltage and earth. In the idle state, the control unit for the heater/air conditioning system switches the supply voltage off.

The footwell-flap motor is fitted with an integrated circuit. This circuit controls the coil of the footwell-flap motor. The circuit has bus- and diagnosis capabilities. After activation of the footwell-flap motor, position feedback is provided via the integrated switching circuit (actual position) to the control unit for the heater/air conditioning system.

After the vehicle has stopped and after a specified waiting period (stored in the memory chip of control unit for the heater/air conditioning system), the footwell-flap motor is moved to a certain parking position. The footwell-flap motor is reinitialised to this parking position after starting up.

Deactivation in the event of blocking

The integrated circuit detects blocking of the footwell-flap motor in that there is increased current consumption within the adjustment range. The integrated switching circuit reports the fault via the LIN bus to the control unit for the heater/air conditioning system. The control unit no longer activates the defective footwell-flap motor. If blocking occurs outside of the adjusting range, an end stop is correctly detected.

Reference run

The footwell-flap motor is unable to detect the current position (actual position). The footwell-flap motor always moves relative to an end position of the footwell flap (reference point). One of the end positions of the footwell flap (closed or fully opened) serves as the reference point.

The footwell flaps are moved to an end position after replacement of the control unit for the heater/air conditioning system and after an interruption in the voltage supply.

The end position is selected in such a way that the subsequent nominal position can be reached by the shortest path. The reference run can also be triggered by the BMW diagnostic system.”

Looks like it may need BMW workshop system ISTA to initiate calibration, unless you can work out “end position”, sorry
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2024, 04:28 PM   #5
gazzman
Registered
Rep

Quote:

Hi. How did you manage to gain access here? Do you have any photos or diagrams on how to get to it? thanks.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2024, 09:26 PM   #6
rory535
Registered
Rep

On the X1 passenger (right) side its pretty easy.
Loosen 2 screws that hold a cover above the foot wells and under your glove box.

Then loosen 1 screw on the right side center console panel at the feet area and unclip and slide out this trim panel. This would be on the left side if you were sitting in the passenger seat.

Behind this is the actuator that you must remove (2 screws), that is in my pic above.
Appreciate 0