BMW
X1 / X2
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X1 (F48) and X2 (F39) Forums General BMW X1 Forum (F48) Very loud banging when accelerating from stop

12-17-2020, 03:13 PM   #1
michaelguo87
Rep
Drives: BMW X1

Very loud banging when accelerating from stop

Guys, I have a 2016 X1 with 40k miles.

I experienced this only once a few days ago, and want to ask around. I was stopped at a traffic light, with the engine start/stop engaged. So the engine was in the "stop" state. Then I stepped on the accelerator when I noticed that I missed the light turned green. Then there is REALLY loud and aggressive banging sounds from the car. It is so loud that I could not tell where it is coming from (felt like in-front, below, and around me) It felt like a rotating hammer smashing the car, 3-4 times before it stopped and the car started moving.

I know the engine start/stop may have some weird delays when I step on the accelerator too fast, but this has never happened before.

I have since disengaged the engine start/stop, but given that this is the 1st time that I have encounter this, I am not sure whether I know how to repeat it (and I probably really don't want to repeat it too)

Anyone out here encountered this before?
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2020, 04:10 PM   #2
BobbyGrant
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 X1 F48 xdrive xline 2.0 d

Stupid question but you werent accelerating so hard that the wheels were spinning and traction control was cutting in? Was it similar to the noise you sometimes get if you have experienced ABS kicking in when braking heavily?
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2020, 04:38 PM   #3
michaelguo87
Rep
Drives: BMW X1

That is a good point. I believe I rushed a little, but I was definitely not flooring it . However, when the banging happened, it did have the feeling that is a little similar to ABS, the way the car is moving beneath you. But it happened so fast and disorienting, so I do not really know what the car did, and whether the wheels was spinning.

The sound is definitely not subtle, it is so loud (and sudden) that it disorients you. It fills like the first time you fire a M16 with a live round (sorry, I was in the military, so that is the closest impact I can think of)
Appreciate 0