BMW
X1 / X2
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X1 (F48) and X2 (F39) Forums General BMW X1 Forum (F48) Veepeaks users for bimmercode

08-25-2020, 11:20 AM   #1
ToLiveX1MSport
Registered
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 X1 M Sports A. White

Veepeaks users for bimmercode

I recently bought a Veepeaks device at Amazon, for my 2016 X1 Msport, to tweak some functions in my car?
Please, any do's and don't?
thanks.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2020, 12:31 PM   #2
Sphinx144
Private
Rep
Drives: 2016 X1

Just make sure your car is on while coding and that there is nothing that could interfere with the Bluetooth connection.
I've used it code a few things in my car with no problems!
Appreciate 1
      08-25-2020, 02:17 PM   #3
Skyline2.0
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW X1 xDrive

Make sure you have latest software version of BimmerCode. I coded DRLs off so I could keep car on without blinding people in front of me at a drive-in movie theater (I forgot it was a built-in option via the infotainment vehicle setting section). Then, when I went to code it back on afterwards, that option along with several other features were not viewable at all anymore. Luckily it was a simple solution of upgrading the latest software version and all the options were back.

Also, don't switch between apps while you see a progress bar for reading the modules or coding in process. I've never tried to find out what would happen if I did, but suspect it may cause a serious error.
Appreciate 1
      08-26-2020, 10:15 AM   #4
ZZZZ
Captain
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0i winterbeater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyline2.0 View Post
Make sure you have latest software version of BimmerCode. I coded DRLs off so I could keep car on without blinding people in front of me at a drive-in movie theater (I forgot it was a built-in option via the infotainment vehicle setting section). Then, when I went to code it back on afterwards, that option along with several other features were not viewable at all anymore. Luckily it was a simple solution of upgrading the latest software version and all the options were back.

Also, don't switch between apps while you see a progress bar for reading the modules or coding in process. I've never tried to find out what would happen if I did, but suspect it may cause a serious error.
For my car even disabling the DRL's keeps the angel eyes on? You're able to keep all the exterior lights off?
Appreciate 1
      08-26-2020, 10:27 AM   #5
SDriver18i
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 s18i 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyline2.0 View Post

Switching between apps won't do anything unless its "reading" then there's a high chance it might just cancel the read. I also tried switching apps when coding and while switching modules, nothing.

However, if you somehow turn off the car, it'll give *sometimes* you an error that it can't read the module again.

Two solutions for that were: Disconnect and reconnect or tap on the error and it'll give you the option to restore from backup and that will fix everything.

I tried bugging it so many times but I've always been able to restore and never permanently mess things up! Its good to see how much more stable Stephan made it.

Then again, I'm sure somewhere, somehow, someone did things perfectly and it somehow became an irreversible issue.
Appreciate 1
      08-26-2020, 10:49 AM   #6
Skyline2.0
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW X1 xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZZZ View Post
For my car even disabling the DRL's keeps the angel eyes on? You're able to keep all the exterior lights off?
Yes, I was able to turn off all exterior lights. I don't know if it makes a difference, but my "angel eyes" DRLs are not the halo style ones that come with the full LED headlight package. Instead I have the halogen headlights (later retrofitted to all LED bulbs) that have the two stock LEDs under each low beam bulb.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2020, 11:22 AM   #7
kavatski
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2023 X3 30iX

Quote:
How did you disable the DRLs? I coded ours so that the menu option for "Daytime Running Lights" shows up under Exterior Lighting in the vehicle settings menu in iDrive. Uncheck the box and the angel eyes are gone (together with the taillights, since I also coded the Scandinavian DRLs).
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2020, 01:29 PM   #8
ZZZZ
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kavatski View Post
How did you disable the DRLs? I coded ours so that the menu option for "Daytime Running Lights" shows up under Exterior Lighting in the vehicle settings menu in iDrive. Uncheck the box and the angel eyes are gone (together with the taillights, since I also coded the Scandinavian DRLs).
Same as what I did. Canadian spec with the LED headlights.

If I uncheck the DRL option in idrive then my angel eyes remain lit. If I check it then my low beams are also on. The "0" option on my headlight switch doesn't really do anything on the X1, where on my E90 "0" turns off all exterior lights including DRL.

Must be some additional coding I'll need to do.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2020, 03:58 PM   #9
kavatski
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Same as what I did. Canadian spec with the LED headlights.

If I uncheck the DRL option in idrive then my angel eyes remain lit. If I check it then my low beams are also on. The "0" option on my headlight switch doesn't really do anything on the X1, where on my E90 "0" turns off all exterior lights including DRL.

Must be some additional coding I'll need to do.
Mine’s also Canadian with the LED lights, but when I uncheck the box it turns off the DRLs and the outside lighting is completely off with the switch in position 0. Interesting.

That said, on Canadian X1s by default the 0 position on the headlight switch isn’t really “off”, like you said. If it’s dark enough, the auto headlights will still come on even when the switch is at 0. There’s a coding to prevent that; I’ll try and dig it up. Maybe that’s the other part of the DRL puzzle, since I made that change too.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2020, 04:50 PM   #10
ZZZZ
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Mine’s also Canadian with the LED lights, but when I uncheck the box it turns off the DRLs and the outside lighting is completely off with the switch in position 0. Interesting.

That said, on Canadian X1s by default the 0 position on the headlight switch isn’t really “off”, like you said. If it’s dark enough, the auto headlights will still come on even when the switch is at 0. There’s a coding to prevent that; I’ll try and dig it up. Maybe that’s the other part of the DRL puzzle, since I made that change too.
That's some good intel right there, thank you. I only tried the switch at 0 at night. I'll go try no it now in the daylight and see the behaviour.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2020, 06:57 PM   #11
SDriver18i
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 s18i 2019

Quote:
That's some good intel right there, thank you. I only tried the switch at 0 at night. I'll go try no it now in the daylight and see the behaviour.
EU Model here, when its at 0, the DRL's still stay on and I have it mapped to one of the keys if I'm idling somewhere to switch it off from the idrive menu. But I also have mine specifically coded it to stay on during the day.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2020, 11:53 AM   #12
kavatski
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Just for future reference, here's the coding (found in another thread here) to change it so that the headlights will always stay off when the switch is set to 0. Worked for me.

Quote:
There is FDL in BDC_body; I think it may be FLC_Aktiv. Switch to freigeschaltet_in_Stellung_A.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2020, 09:48 AM   #13
trnguyen
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X2

Quote:
Just for future reference, here's the coding (found in another thread here) to change it so that the headlights will always stay off when the switch is set to 0. Worked for me.
Did you do it in Bimmercode? Expert mode I believe so.
Do you mind to give me the path to it?
"There is FDL in BDC_body; I think it may be FLC_Aktiv. Switch to freigeschaltet_in_Stellung_A."

Edit: Please ignore my questions. I finally found it.
For those interested, it's under "3068 LceMaster" and search for "FLC_Aktiv"

Last edited by trnguyen; 12-07-2020 at 10:12 AM..
Appreciate 1