BMW
X1 / X2
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board Matt Lauer FIRED!

11-29-2017, 10:48 AM   #23
Clark_Kent
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Real Dodger View Post
I am amazed at many of the comments on this thread. I understand not wanting to be politically correct on the one hand, but many of you seem to have gone to an ugly extreme. I suspect NBC would only fire him (Lauer) with concrete evidence, as he has been a cash cow for them for 20 years. The thing I am most upset about is Trump (who has really become a mere caricature) is in his daily fit of twitter stupidity, again called out a respected news organization as "fake". In watching NBC news for 30+ years, I have found them to be highly credible.
I'm not sure I 100% agree with this statement. In the current environment what you've done for your company or the money you've contributed to the bottom line means very little as we're beginning to see. These allegations, true or not, can no longer be swept under a rug or explained away. Not an apples to apples comparison but look at the Harvey Weinstein situation. He was the co-chairman of a privately held company of which he founded and they threw him out over allegations of misconduct.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2017, 10:51 AM   #24
Captain Blood
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: Audi S3....don't judge me

Garage List
2016 Audi S3  [9.50]
2012 135  [6.83]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark_Kent View Post
I'm not sure I 100% agree with this statement. In the current environment what you've done for your company or the money you've contributed to the bottom line means very little as we're beginning to see. These allegations, true or not, can no longer be swept under a rug or explained away. Not an apples to apples comparison but look at the Harvey Weinstein situation. He was the co-chairman of a privately held company of which he founded and they threw him out over allegations of alleged misconduct.
I certainly wouldn't fire an employee who had made a substantial amount of $$ for my firm if I wasn't certain it was warranted.
Appreciate 1
Clark_Kent2232.00
      11-29-2017, 10:56 AM   #25
The Choosey begger
Libertarian
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4

Quote:
As I posted in "trump hits and misses", let me know about any statement, ANY, where Trump has differentiated himself with a nugget of wisdom that would make me or you think he has an inkling of the solution to any problem.
N. Korea? Sexual harassment? Health care? Racism? Anything? He really has defined himself as a simpleton in his 10 months in office. All he seems to know how to do is "troll the left" , tweet, and re-tweet.
You're not very sophisticated if you think it took N Korea 11 months to develop their nukes, their first successful nuclear test was in 2006.

How Trump would've stopped Charlie Rose, Lauer etc. from harassing women long before he got elected?
Appreciate 1
Db750278.00
      11-29-2017, 11:00 AM   #26
Clark_Kent
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Retired

Quote:
I certainly wouldn't fire an employee who had made a substantial amount of $$ for my firm if I wasn't certain it was warranted.
I wholeheartedly agree with the spirit of what you're saying; however, the court of public opinion is stronger in 2017 than it has ever been. Everyone now has a platform and they're not shy using it. If you're an executive running a business your hands are tied on issues like this. It's unfortunate, but that's the reality.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2017, 11:04 AM   #27
Captain Blood
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2016 Audi S3  [9.50]
2012 135  [6.83]
Quote:
Originally Posted by anglo View Post
You're not very sophisticated if you think it took N Korea 11 months to develop their nukes, their first successful nuclear test was in 2006.

How Trump would've stopped Charlie Rose, Lauer etc. from harassing women long before he got elected?
I'm certainly more sophisticated than your trumpster. You didn't answer the question. My challenge to you is to use a Trump quote to show me he has expertise in any field.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2017, 11:13 AM   #28
The Choosey begger
Libertarian
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I'm certainly more sophisticated than your trumpster. You didn't answer the question. My challenge to you is to use a Trump quote to show me he has expertise in any field.
Plenty quotes for you to choose from in this video.

Appreciate 2
Cattivo680.50
scostu1623.00
      11-29-2017, 11:16 AM   #29
RickFLM4
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
“The more government takes in taxes, the less incentive people have to work. What coal miner or assembly-line worker jumps at the offer of overtime when he knows Uncle Sam is going to take sixty percent or more of his extra pay? . . . Any system that penalizes success and accomplishment is wrong. Any system that discourages work, discourages productivity, discourages economic progress, is wrong. If, on the other hand, you reduce tax rates and allow people to spend or save more of what they earn, they’ll be more industrious; they’ll have more incentive to work hard, and money they earn will add fuel to the great economic machine that energizes our national progress. The result: more prosperity for all—and more revenue for government.”
Robin_NL8725.00
scostu1623.00
Db750278.00
      11-29-2017, 11:35 AM   #30
Captain Blood
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2016 Audi S3  [9.50]
2012 135  [6.83]
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickFLM4 View Post
“The more government takes in taxes, the less incentive people have to work. What coal miner or assembly-line worker jumps at the offer of overtime when he knows Uncle Sam is going to take sixty percent or more of his extra pay? . . . Any system that penalizes success and accomplishment is wrong. Any system that discourages work, discourages productivity, discourages economic progress, is wrong. If, on the other hand, you reduce tax rates and allow people to spend or save more of what they earn, they’ll be more industrious; they’ll have more incentive to work hard, and money they earn will add fuel to the great economic machine that energizes our national progress. The result: more prosperity for all—and more revenue for government.”
Is that a Trump quote? So he has made a comment on taxation? And when does the govt. take 60% of your overtime earnings? Never heard of that one.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2017, 11:39 AM   #31
Captain Blood
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2016 Audi S3  [9.50]
2012 135  [6.83]
Quote:
Plenty quotes for you to choose from in this video.

Enough! He reads off a teleprompter badly. I watched a minute or so, nothing new. Its amazing how he took credit for the stock market, yet implemented no policies to help it. Did you watch this video before posting it?
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2017, 11:44 AM   #32
The Choosey begger
Libertarian
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Enough! He reads off a teleprompter badly. I watched a minute or so, nothing new. Its amazing how he took credit for the stock market, yet implemented no policies to help it. Did you watch this video before posting it?
That's why Hillary lost, you guys live in your own world.
Appreciate 5
MKSixer34188.50
Cattivo680.50
Robin_NL8725.00
sirdaft12204.50
Db750278.00
      11-29-2017, 11:48 AM   #33
RickFLM4
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Is that a Trump quote? So he has made a comment on taxation? And when does the govt. take 60% of your overtime earnings? Never heard of that one.
I am not a Trump fan, but that quote was spot on as far as I am concerned. If you want to dissect it syllable-by-syllable go for it. But I have no interest in engaging in a meaningless debate with someone clearly incapable of rational discussion. You asked for a quote and got one. How about moving on and letting this thread get back on topic now.
ONE1125.00
sirdaft12204.50
Db750278.00
      11-29-2017, 11:53 AM   #34
Captain Blood
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2016 Audi S3  [9.50]
2012 135  [6.83]
Quote:
That's why Hillary lost, you guys live in your own world.
Now that's funny. What did I miss from the bad teleprompter reading? Please enlighten me?
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2017, 11:55 AM   #35
shoei
Banned
Rep
Drives: MW Vespa w/pink racing stripes

Quote:
I am amazed at many of the comments on this thread. I understand not wanting to be politically correct on the one hand, but many of you seem to have gone to an ugly extreme. I suspect NBC would only fire him (Lauer) with concrete evidence, as he has been a cash cow for them for 20 years. The thing I am most upset about is Trump (who has really become a mere caricature) is in his daily fit of twitter stupidity, again called out a respected news organization as "fake". In watching NBC news for 30+ years, I have found them to be highly credible.
"In watching NBC news for 30+ years, I have found them to be highly credible...

*cricket-cricket...

I mean, sure, if you are comparing them to Pyongyang Nightly News......
Appreciate 6
3798j11552.50
MKSixer34188.50
sirdaft12204.50
scostu1623.00
Db750278.00
      11-29-2017, 11:57 AM   #36
shoei
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Challenge Accepted...

Appreciate 2
UncleWede18100.00
      11-29-2017, 11:59 AM   #37
Captain Blood
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2016 Audi S3  [9.50]
2012 135  [6.83]
Quote:
I am not a Trump fan, but that quote was spot on as far as I am concerned. If you want to dissect it syllable-by-syllable go for it. But I have no interest in engaging in a meaningless debate with someone clearly incapable of rational discussion. You asked for a quote and got one. How about moving on and letting this thread get back on topic now.
See what I have highlighted? And then see what you wrote after that? Obviously you are a fan.
2 things. What area of expertise did he demonstrate with the comment you quoted? GOP members have been saying something to that effect for 50 years or more. And he said that people making overtime pay get taxed 60%? So we can simply overlook that? Thats not true. I have had many people work overtime for me. I've never heard of this 60% tax.
Incapable of rational discussion? Sure, tell yourself that.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2017, 12:02 PM   #38
Banana Hammock
Beefcake
Rep
Drives: NA

Appreciate 2
upstatedoc7567.50
Mr Tonka6060.00
      11-29-2017, 12:03 PM   #39
Captain Blood
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2016 Audi S3  [9.50]
2012 135  [6.83]
Quote:
Originally Posted by shoei View Post

*cricket-cricket...

No. MSNBC and fox are not nearly as credible. They both act like the mouthpeice of a movement, propaganda, not news. but, hey, how many times has that ben re-hashed on this website?
If they (NBC, CNN, etc.) report something and you don't like it, it doesn't make it fake.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2017, 12:11 PM   #40
shoei
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by shoei View Post

*cricket-cricket...

No. MSNBC and fox are not nearly as credible. They both act like the mouthpeice of a movement, propaganda, not news. but, hey, how many times has that ben re-hashed on this website?
If they (NBC, CNN, etc.) report something and you don't like it, it doesn't make it fake.
Got nothing to do with if I dislike or like what they are reporting... Comment has zero to do with current political climate, trump, clinton, Lauer, sexual harassment, global warming or the final season of Game of Thrones...

The sheer fact you used the words - "highly credible" in reference to any news organization is the comical part... You could say - "they are more credible than Fox, and nobody would bat an eye..."
Appreciate 5
Mr Tonka6060.00
Robin_NL8725.00
Db750278.00
      11-29-2017, 12:21 PM   #41
RickFLM4
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
See what I have highlighted? And then see what you wrote after that? Obviously you are a fan.
2 things. What area of expertise did he demonstrate with the comment you quoted? GOP members have been saying something to that effect for 50 years or more. And he said that people making overtime pay get taxed 60%? So we can simply overlook that? Thats not true. I have had many people work overtime for me. I've never heard of this 60% tax.
Incapable of rational discussion? Sure, tell yourself that.
There's a whole political section where you can set up your very own thread to bash Trump instead of jacking this one. I'm sure you can find some friends to play with there.
sirdaft12204.50
      11-29-2017, 12:22 PM   #42
Maynard
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 228iX & M2C

Quote:
I think you guys are looking in the wrong direction. I think he was spot-on, and speaking from his expertise, when he said "when you are famous, you can do anything you want to them......" Too bad he got out of show business; reality TV's loss is our loss too.
Appreciate 1
      11-29-2017, 12:23 PM   #43
wrickem
Big Beaver Smile
Rep
Drives: What he wants to

My 25 year old niece has a pretty nice job on the Today show. He's made little sexual innuendo jokes to her since she started there 3 years ago (it's hot on the set today, she must be around here somewhere when she walks in the room, and things like that). She would just banter back "oh Matt, you're cute but you're older than my father" and be done with it 'till the next time. To her, it wasn't a big deal, it was banter, she never felt if she didn't do what he wanted that she'd be fired or demoted. (We did try to sell her on having his baby so she'd never have to work again, but she wasn't having any of that )

This summer , she was called into HR because somebody noticed his creepy comments about her. They told her "if he does anything inappropriate at all, you have to come directly to us". She was smart enough to know it would be her who'd be shown out the door, not him... unless he did something REALLY bad. It seems like they've been looking to hang him even before all the $hit hit the fan with everybody else.
upstatedoc7567.50
Naz241627.50
Cattivo680.50
Clark_Kent2232.00
      11-29-2017, 12:24 PM   #44
The Choosey begger
Libertarian
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Now that's funny. What did I miss from the bad teleprompter reading? Please enlighten me?
In a nutshell we are better off now than when Obama was president.
Appreciate 3
Cattivo680.50
Robin_NL8725.00
Db750278.00