BMW
X1 / X2
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW X1 (F48) and X2 (F39) Forums General BMW X1 Forum (F48) Question about active cruise control

01-24-2021, 12:03 PM   #1
Paco II
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 2021

Question about active cruise control

I finally had a chance to try out the active cruise control feature (5AT). At first it did not work, and i got the warning that it had been deactivated. I imagine this is the issue others have reported on related to direct sunlight. Not a great beginning. However a short while later the warning indicator went away and I gave it another try, and ultimately tried it on a short road trip for a total time of probably a couple of hours. I must say I am generally impressed by it. Worked quite well and never made me nervous. I am quite pleased to have gotten this feature on my X1.

So my question: it is not clear to me the degree to which this feature will hit the brakes should the need arise. If traffic were to come to a hard stop, will this feature bring my X1 to a hard stop as well? I am trying to understand the limits of it.

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2021, 04:31 PM   #2
MJE60
Captain
England
Rep
Drives: BMW G01 xDrive M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paco II View Post
I finally had a chance to try out the active cruise control feature (5AT). At first it did not work, and i got the warning that it had been deactivated. I imagine this is the issue others have reported on related to direct sunlight. Not a great beginning. However a short while later the warning indicator went away and I gave it another try, and ultimately tried it on a short road trip for a total time of probably a couple of hours. I must say I am generally impressed by it. Worked quite well and never made me nervous. I am quite pleased to have gotten this feature on my X1.

So my question: it is not clear to me the degree to which this feature will hit the brakes should the need arise. If traffic were to come to a hard stop, will this feature bring my X1 to a hard stop as well? I am trying to understand the limits of it.

Thanks.
The major weakness in the F48 active cruise control (with stop and go), is it relies on a single KAFAS camera to handle traffic flow rather than camera/s and radar on higher range models. The consequence is that it can get confused in poor visibility (rain/fog/snow) or even direct sunlight. Whilst I believe the vehicle frontal collision protection on the F48 to be reliable (whereas the pedestrian protection came bottom of class in IIHS tests) , it is an assistance feature rather than a fail safe. Some owners report it randomly disconnecting or reacting inappropriately, some owners love it and others distrust it , there are a number of threads on this forum you can find and read.

The active cruise control With stop and go relies on same KAFAS camera and software as frontal protection although it also uses a sas module to boost processing power. The 5AT cruise control should keep a safe gap and even bring the car to a complete standstill where required however BMW still emphasise it is an aid and that the driver must be in control. In brief, it should react and brake hard but whether the system reacts quickly enough and firmly enough is down to you. I would suggest that in the event of seeing stationery traffic ahead, you hit the brakes. If the car has seen them first then still step-in and help, imho failure to do so could count as reckless/careless driving in the event of a wreck (and diagnostics can tell).

Anyhow, I wish you safe journeys always.

Last edited by MJE60; 01-26-2021 at 04:42 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2021, 04:56 PM   #3
Paco II
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 2021

Thank so much for your reply. This was very informative and helpful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJE60 View Post
The major weakness in the F48 active cruise control (with stop and go), is it relies on a single KAFAS camera to handle traffic flow rather than camera/s and radar on higher range models. The consequence is that it can get confused in poor visibility (rain/fog/snow) or even direct sunlight. Whilst I believe the vehicle frontal collision protection on the F48 to be reliable (whereas the pedestrian protection came bottom of class in IIHS tests) , it is an assistance feature rather than a fail safe. Some owners report it randomly disconnecting or reacting inappropriately, some owners love it and others distrust it , there are a number of threads on this forum you can find and read.

The active cruise control With stop and go relies on same KAFAS camera and software as frontal protection although it also uses a sas module to boost processing power. The 5AT cruise control should keep a safe gap and even bring the car to a complete standstill where required however BMW still emphasise it is an aid and that the driver must be in control. In brief, it should react and brake hard but whether the system reacts quickly enough and firmly enough is down to you. I would suggest that in the event of seeing stationery traffic ahead, you hit the brakes. If the car has seen them first then still step-in and help, imho failure to do so could count as reckless/careless driving in the event of a wreck (and diagnostics can tell).

Anyhow, I wish you safe journeys always.
Appreciate 1
MJE60678.00