BMW
X1 / X2
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW X1 (F48) and X2 (F39) Forums General BMW X1 Forum (F48) GPS Positioning deactivated message

07-17-2018, 07:10 AM   #1
Pganders
Second Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: X1 M Sport 30e

Hi,

I'm starting to try to figure out the finer detail of the iDrive/ConnectedDrive system with some degree of success.

However when logged into ConnectedDrive under Vehicle Location I get a message that GPS positioning is deactivated and needs to be activated in the vehicle. I've searched through the various settings but cannot find GPS settings. I have iDrive 6 with the smaller screen.

Strangely ConnectedDrive does show that my car is sitting in the driveway despite GPS not activated though not sure if it works any further away.

Any suggestions appreciated.

Thanks

Edit 18 July - just been out for a walk and have realised it's not the car the apps showing but the location of my phone!!
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2018, 07:36 AM   #2
Leaving
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: F48 M Sport

GPS positioning is meant for your car to be located by GPS "find my car" option.

unless it's turned on it wont be able lo tell you where your car is. does it help?
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2018, 08:56 AM   #3
Pganders
Second Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaving View Post
GPS positioning is meant for your car to be located by GPS "find my car" option.

unless it's turned on it wont be able lo tell you where your car is. does it help?
Unfortunately not.

My problem is that I can't find where to turn GPS on, or does this not come with the standard iDrive/small screen setup?
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2018, 12:30 AM   #4
Leaving
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: F48 M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pganders View Post
Unfortunately not.

My problem is that I can't find where to turn GPS on, or does this not come with the standard iDrive/small screen setup?
I see, try this

Go to your eDrive and get all your way down to "protection data", you'll find 3 fields there, one of then gives the option to activate/desactivate "locate your vehicle"

is that it?
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2018, 07:57 AM   #5
Pganders
Second Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaving View Post
Quote:
Unfortunately not.

I see, try this

Go to your eDrive and get all your way down to "protection data", you'll find 3 fields there, one of then gives the option to activate/desactivate "locate your vehicle"

is that it?
Sorry, yes I should have said that I have that enabled in iDrive but the Car location is not being picked up with the message the GPS positioning needs to be activated in the car. Problem remains that I can find nowhere on the iDrive to activate this. I'm thinking a call to the "Genius" might be required.

Thanks for your help.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2018, 08:12 AM   #6
Pganders
Second Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Update - I was just about to call the Genius and logged onto the app to read out the GPS activation message and surprise there is my car now showing correctly in the app.

Totally weird but whatever has happened it's now working.

The only thing I can think of is that in my last attempt I unchecked the box against Vehicle Tracking in the iDrive and then rechecked it. So maybe this has caused a forced reset for it to now work.

Anyway problem solved, thanks.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2018, 03:31 PM   #7
oakey46
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 2 A/T 220i Lux Auto 1.5

Hi Pganders.
Is the GPS location facility a feature that is only applied to X1s with a build date later than mine (i.e. 28Feb18), because I cannot see that on mine, although Apple Maps seems to remember the car location when we leave it at e.g. our local rail station?
Pleased to see you're getting to know your X1

Last edited by oakey46; 07-19-2018 at 02:02 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2018, 02:59 AM   #8
Pganders
Second Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by oakey46 View Post
Hi Pganders.
Is the GPS location facility a feature that is only applied to X1s with a build date later than mine (i.e. 28Feb18), because I cannot see that on mine, although Apple Maps seems to remember the car location when we leave it at e.g. our local rail station?
Pleased to see you're getting to know your X1
Hi Oakley,

I'm not sure if earlier versions of the standard setup had this option. My car is a later build - June build and has the newer touch screen centre display (the small version) running iDrive 6.

On this version you access the setting on iDrive through Vehicle Settings then scroll down to Vehicle Tracking and make sure this is checked. Though as you will have read I initially had some difficulty getting the GPS activated to use the tracking and it's still a mystery how it sorted itself.

Anyways, yes settling into the car nicely and getting used to it's different driving characteristics.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2018, 11:39 AM   #9
oakey46
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Hi Oakley,

I'm not sure if earlier versions of the standard setup had this option. My car is a later build - June build and has the newer touch screen centre display (the small version) running iDrive 6.

On this version you access the setting on iDrive through Vehicle Settings then scroll down to Vehicle Tracking and make sure this is checked. Though as you will have read I initially had some difficulty getting the GPS activated to use the tracking and it's still a mystery how it sorted itself.

Anyways, yes settling into the car nicely and getting used to it's different driving characteristics.
Thanks Pganders
I followed the steps you outlined, but to no avail.
I have iDrive 6 in the car, but I think you must have an updated OS or Firmware compared to mine although, looking at other posts on BMW forums, it seems very much a hit and miss as to whether you can activate it.
I do think some of the iDrive tech stuff is a little bit lacking, or could be more intuitive. But that's perhaps just me !
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2018, 04:37 AM   #10
Pganders
Second Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Thanks Pganders
I followed the steps you outlined, but to no avail.
I have iDrive 6 in the car, but I think you must have an updated OS or Firmware compared to mine although, looking at other posts on BMW forums, it seems very much a hit and miss as to whether you can activate it.
I do think some of the iDrive tech stuff is a little bit lacking, or could be more intuitive. But that's perhaps just me !
I think you need ConnectedDrive activated - it should have an embedded sim to work fully. Mine came with this as standard so not sure if this was part of the March upgrade or whether earlier versions had it also - might be worth having a word with your local dealer Genius.
I have to agree the iDrive is a bit complicated to navigate if you’re not used to it.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2018, 05:28 PM   #11
oakey46
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
I think you need ConnectedDrive activated - it should have an embedded sim to work fully. Mine came with this as standard so not sure if this was part of the March upgrade or whether earlier versions had it also - might be worth having a word with your local dealer Genius.
I have to agree the iDrive is a bit complicated to navigate if you’re not used to it.
Yes, thanks. I have Connected Drive (as opposed to Connected Drive+) and the car has an embedded SIM so I can, for instance, remotely send navigation destinations from my iPhone to the car. I can also view my Calendar entries from my iMac displayed in the car and use BMW App version of TuneIn Radio from my iPhone. So altogether rather strange that I don't see the facility to track the car. Hey Ho!!
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2018, 02:57 AM   #12
Pganders
Second Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
I have to agree the iDrive is a bit complicated to navigate if you're not used to it.
Yes, thanks. I have Connected Drive (as opposed to Connected Drive+) and the car has an embedded SIM so I can, for instance, remotely send navigation destinations from my iPhone to the car. I can also view my Calendar entries from my iMac displayed in the car and use BMW App version of TuneIn Radio from my iPhone. So altogether rather strange that I don't see the facility to track the car. Hey Ho!!
That is strange as it seems you have the equipment required unless it wasn't an option available on the earlier builds.

Maybe there's someone out there that knows.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2018, 10:39 AM   #13
Vogit
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X1 xDrive 20D xLine

Quote:
Mine might be too old (Nov 15 build), but with Connected Drive paid for (Don't know if this is necessary) it's Main Menu>Settings: scroll down to the bottom, GPS Tracking is last on the list (I have the basic UK fit navigation with small screen).
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2018, 02:12 PM   #14
oakey46
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vogit View Post
Mine might be too old (Nov 15 build), but with Connected Drive paid for (Don't know if this is necessary) it's Main Menu>Settings: scroll down to the bottom, GPS Tracking is last on the list (I have the basic UK fit navigation with small screen).
Thanks. I've looked again at Connected Drive on my iPhone and scrolled down the Settings menu, but nothing showing about GPS tracking. Have checked on the App Store and I do have the current version of the App, so I'm at a loss!. Thanks for the suggestion anyway.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2018, 05:02 PM   #15
Vogit
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X1 xDrive 20D xLine

Quote:
Thanks. I've looked again at Connected Drive on my iPhone and scrolled down the Settings menu, but nothing showing about GPS tracking. Have checked on the App Store and I do have the current version of the App, so I'm at a loss!. Thanks for the suggestion anyway.
Sorry, should have said on the iDrive main menu, in the car...
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2018, 06:27 PM   #16
landrumdh
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F48

US older iDrive with a '16 8" screen model and I can track the car without issue. It won't pull a location if the car is running though, has to be turned off.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2018, 11:39 AM   #17
oakey46
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vogit View Post
Sorry, should have said on the iDrive main menu, in the car...
Ive looked there too, but nothing showing. I wonder if it's the way cars are dealer PDI'd as to what services may, or may not, be activated. I'll be taking this up with my dealer when I next pass by - unfortunately, because of where I live, that entails a 60 mile round trip. Perhaps at some stage I can activate it via Bimmercode or Carly for BMW.
Appreciate 0