BMW
X1 / X2
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board Health, Fitness, Martial Arts, and Nutrition Running/heartburn

02-09-2011, 02:03 PM   #1
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

Running/heartburn

So what can I do to reduce the heartburn and aftertaste from lunch? I eat lunch around noon, and typically start my run about 5:15. About 1/2 way thru I get some horrible heartburn/aftertaste. Do I need to drink a bunch more water during the afternoon to wash the flavors away?
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2011, 02:13 PM   #2
infinitekidM2C
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Competition

Garage List
try some green tea with ur meal...digest that stuff man!
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2011, 03:01 PM   #3
JHOOPS2
AKA HISSMAN
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 SG 135i Coupe'

I have the same problem, and it is related to my acid reflux. You might want to get that checked out by a doc too. I was in pretty bad shape, and didn't know it. Now I run a risk of esophageal cancer. due to the damage that was done. like you, I just got heartburn a lot after eating, and especially when running or laying down. This would happen no matter how long ago I had eaten. The only thing that finally got me to the doctor was a sharp pain in my stomach that ended up being an ulcer that has taken the better part of 2 years to heal up. Mind you, I am only 33 years old right now.
      02-10-2011, 03:10 PM   #4
UncleWede
United_States
Rep

I only rarely have the heartburn unless I'm running. Stairs make it even worse, so I got to think it's the bouncing of the stomach that make it present. I used to ALWAYS be able to eat and go right into a workout/run. In fact, being insulin dependent it was more of a necessity.

Hadn't thought of green tea. I'm going to try to work that into a routine about 2 in the p.m., after the stomach has done some work on the lunch.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2011, 03:34 PM   #5
Echo M3
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleWede View Post
So what can I do to reduce the heartburn and aftertaste from lunch? I eat lunch around noon, and typically start my run about 5:15. About 1/2 way thru I get some horrible heartburn/aftertaste. Do I need to drink a bunch more water during the afternoon to wash the flavors away?
Definitely see a doc. You may have GERD (reflux disease), which should not be left untreated. The medication is pretty easy to take and very, very effective.

As has already been mentioned, untreated heartburn can lead to a number of complications. Don't self-medicate - heartburn can also be due to a number of other things. Don't get alarmed, but you really need to see a doctor, in order to understand what treatment you specifically need.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2011, 04:14 PM   #6
geneatals
Ninja
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 530e

+1 for possible acid refulx and seeing an MD...
      02-10-2011, 04:54 PM   #7
adrean8j
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: SGM 135I

Garage List
2008 135i  [10.00]
Quote:
I only rarely have the heartburn unless I'm running. Stairs make it even worse, so I got to think it's the bouncing of the stomach that make it present. I used to ALWAYS be able to eat and go right into a workout/run. In fact, being insulin dependent it was more of a necessity.

Hadn't thought of green tea. I'm going to try to work that into a routine about 2 in the p.m., after the stomach has done some work on the lunch.
My doctor told me that teas can increase the incidents of acid reflux...we have to look at what cause GERD before we start making suggestions guys....

Quote:
Originally Posted by pman10 View Post
Definitely see a doc. You may have GERD (reflux disease), which should not be left untreated. The medication is pretty easy to take and very, very effective.

As has already been mentioned, untreated heartburn can lead to a number of complications. Don't self-medicate - heartburn can also be due to a number of other things. Don't get alarmed, but you really need to see a doctor, in order to understand what treatment you specifically need.
The medication is similar to what you take with OTC stuff. As a matter of fact my doctor told me that I could continue to take Prilosec OTC to combat my symptoms with no ill-effects. For me 1 pill a week works great...see your doctor tell him your symptoms and then let him make a diagnosis (esp. since you are diabetic). Good Luck and keep working out!
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2011, 06:04 PM   #8
Echo M3
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by adrean8j View Post
My doctor told me that teas can increase the incidents of acid reflux...we have to look at what cause GERD before we start making suggestions guys....

The medication is similar to what you take with OTC stuff. As a matter of fact my doctor told me that I could continue to take Prilosec OTC to combat my symptoms with no ill-effects. For me 1 pill a week works great...see your doctor tell him your symptoms and then let him make a diagnosis (esp. since you are diabetic). Good Luck and keep working out!
GERD has a multitude of causes. The primary one is incomplete clearance of regurgitated material.

My point is that while GERD seems likely, there are several causes of heartburn that the physician needs to rule out. Heartburn is not necessarily the same thing as GERD, which is why we tell people to go see a doc.

So basically, we agree
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2011, 06:59 PM   #9
infinitekidM2C
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Does OP eat a lot of acidic foods like red sauce, etc. I used to get acid reflux in law school and i ate a lot of spaghetti (cheap food), and after i cut that back big time i stopped having an issue. Getting diagnosed is best, i just hate when people rush to start taking medication
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2011, 01:22 PM   #10
UncleWede
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by infinitekid2002 View Post
i just hate when people rush to start taking medication
EXACTLY.

I see this happening when I go into the Dr. office.

Me: Doc, I get this nasty taste of my lunch when I run before dinner"

Dr: Quit running

During the week I eat nearly the same thing for lunch every day. Madras lentils over cubed tofu, cheese on top. Sometimes I sprinkle some garlic powder (not salt) on the tofu.

I don't have any symptoms just walking around. It's only when I run, so I don't see it as all that critical that I see the Dr.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2011, 01:32 PM   #11
Jaguar66
M Power
Cayman Islands
Rep
Drives: '09 ///M-Sport 135i

You haven't described the lunch you eat. If you eat a large lunch, you will not have emptied your stomach completely. Try eating a small lunch, then after your workout, eat a normal supper meal. If you get hungry in the afternoon, you may need to have a small snack.

I always found that the best workout was in the morning, before eating anything, about an hour after an early cup of coffee.
      03-07-2011, 06:19 PM   #12
MrBlonde
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: Audi TTRS, M Coupe, 1299

Yeah do your run first thing in the morning on an empty stomach.

Check out the 1Addicts Drag Racing Standings and Drag Racing 101.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2011, 06:23 PM   #13
infinitekidM2C
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Hmm I do my run right when i get home; usually about 5-6 hours after i had lunch but i don't get that. By then i feel really empty. Sounds like ur a vegetarian like i am...not sure why ur taking so long to digest ur lunch.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2011, 12:30 PM   #14
UncleWede
United_States
Rep

I ran this past Saturday morning since my son's swimming practice was at 7. No problem there. Morning runs during the week just are not an option. I'm at work no later than 6:30, I ain't getting up earlier than 5 to go run in the dark.

Not a vegatarian, but tofu is such a readily digestable protein source (for me at least). I loves me a medium rare slice of filet, especially now with an Arrogant Bastard!!!

Now that we've switched to baseball season, I'm not doing the stairs and distance running as much, it's more the sprints to chase down a ball, or be a runner for the infiled practice. I haven't noticed it on the baseball field.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2011, 05:42 PM   #15
Bweezy311
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 E90 330i

Don't mean to bring back up a 2 month old topic, but I either read or heard from somewhere that heartburn can also be an indicator that you're not drinking enough water. You should be pounding that stuff down. I carry a 3-Liter jug with me (I typically won't drink all of it unless I do a heavy day of running) to track my water consumption. Being a runner and not drinking enough water is a nasty combo.

I went through a period, about this time last year actually, of acid reflux, but mine was stress related. I was constantly running every-every other day but never had the issue/pain during my runs. I went and saw my doc, he smiled and said I was fine, gave me 3 sample pills of an acid reflux med (can't remember what it was) and was fine afterward. I also made a point to lower my stress.

ANYWAY, I also recommend NOT to drink Green Tea while being extremely active. I always found myself puking on my runs when I drank green tea. Just stay away from caffeine and spicy foods.

Now that it's 2 months later have you improved any? What changes have you made?
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2011, 01:36 PM   #16
positiveions
Lieutenant General
Lebanon
Rep
Drives: 19 Tacoma, 16 Golf wagon

Garage List
so being a nurse, here is what I can recommend: eat small frequent meals. Don't lie down after you eat, and eat dried crackers, avoid food that has high acidic such as tomatoes, or drinking lemonades. Avoid exercising after eating. Avoid alcohol (yes, if you want the pain to go bye bye), and coffee.
GERD is a serious complication. You need to check with your doctor first. Most likely he will prescribe you a PPI (proton pump inhibitor), along with some Antacids, and H2 receptor antagonist. Don't take medications without seeing a physician first.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2011, 01:55 PM   #17
JHOOPS2
AKA HISSMAN
United_States
Rep

Coffee has been the reason why my ulcer will not heal quickly. But dammit I will murder about half a dozen people in the mornings if I don't have my java...
      05-26-2011, 05:25 AM   #18
Anneke
Registered
Rep
Drives: toyata

Drinking a good amount of water is one of the most basic natural remedies for heartburn you can think of. It washes away the acid burning and balances the acidity out

To prevent heartburn or acid reflux you can drink at least 4 pints (+/- 2 liter) of water spread over the day.

Eating an apple, or sometimes even just a part of it, can really relieve your heartburn. It works basically the same as the vinegar part, where the good acids help you stop the heartburn

It varies again from individual to individual to which variety works best for you, experiment a bit.

omega 3 benefits
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2011, 08:10 AM   #19
JHOOPS2
AKA HISSMAN
United_States
Rep

I just got put on Dexilant for acid reflux/heartburn. Fantastic drug. So far it is working better than anything else I have been on.

-Jeff
      05-26-2011, 08:44 AM   #20
Kyoshi71
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2010 M3 Coupe

Quote:
Eat a light dinner first, wait, and then run.

2010 E92 M3|Silverstone II|M-DCT|NCSW|2MT|ZCW|ZPP|ZTP|302|507|Gas Guzzler Tax
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2020, 07:04 AM   #21
Marjan1988
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 730d

You should stay away from foods that are spicy, fatty and greasy. It takes longer for these foods to be digested and pressures the LES (lower esophageal sphincter).

Eating spaghetti can also trigger heartburn. Tomatoes, tomato juices and sauces calm the LES (lower esophageal sphincter). You can still eat pasta dishes, just make sure it doesn’t have the red sauce.

Citrus fruits and juices like orange, lemon, lime and grapefruit relaxes the LES (lower esophageal sphincter).

Milk and dairy products causes acid production because it takes longer time to digest and stays in the stomach for quite a while.

Beverages with alcohol content also relax the LES (lower esophageal sphincter) and increase production of acid in the stomach. You might want to get rid of the stock beer and liquor in your fridge to avoid temptation.

Chocolate is a comfort food that might be the hardest to resist but it relaxes the LES (lower esophageal sphincter), so you should stay away from it.

Aside from food, smoking a cigarette or cigar can also trigger heartburn because it weakens the LES (lower esophageal sphincter).

Eating within 2 to 3 hours before bed time can also cause heartburn. When you are lying down with a full stomach, the stomach contents are pushed to the LES (lower esophageal sphincter).
https://pharmacyrxs.com/ - Your #1 pharmacy in the UK
Appreciate 1
M5Rick58879.50
      02-16-2020, 08:53 AM   #22
Captain Starbucks
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 6MT

Classic symptoms of gluten intolerance. Don't go to MD. They don't know anything about diet. Go to a naturopathic doctor.
Appreciate 0