BMW
X1 / X2
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General BMW News and Cars Discussion Markus Flasch: M Working To Achieve Ultimate Driving Dynamics With Electrification

05-02-2021, 06:28 AM   #23
KoenG
Lieutenant Colonel
Belgium
Rep
Drives: i4 eDrive40 & Cupra Leon 300

“Longitudinal performance is something that has never been the single purpose of M, and even less so with electrified cars. With battery electric vehicles initial acceleration and longitudinal performance is something pretty much everyone can do.

“And this is not what we are working on, we are working on ultimate driving dynamics.

----------------------------------------------------------
Very curious to see how M will differentiate in the future.

Flasch wants us to believe that electric is only good for acceleration and that vehicle dynamics is a real challenge, but we all know that all electric cars have their center of gravity very near the axle height, and the weight distribution 50/50 is also straightforward now. On top, faster and better torque vectoring has become a commodity with BEV. What's left is wheel guidance geometry, suspension setup and steering control and feedback. The Taycan already demonstrates this.

With such a future, M could dissolve into a pure equipment line above the Sportsline. Their purpose will shirnk down and they could cease to exist.
Appreciate 1
      05-02-2021, 06:38 AM   #24
SeanWRT
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 & F87 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanAutM3 View Post
Where I live:
  • 430i xDrive
  • 430i xDrive M-Sport
  • M440i xDrive
  • M4
  • M4competition
  • M4CS
  • M4CSL
Where I live we have even lower models like G20 325i, which to my knowledge doesn't exist anywhere else. The reason behind is simply our local manufacturing capability is far ahead compared to anywhere else, and is more than just sufficient to support as many variants as market can want. They even consider phasing out the 330i models because very few want it. The most would skip right straight to the M3, simple solution.

And...the 325i accounts for 95% of the G20 ever sold here...as told by my SA.

There're far far more people stretching out budget from a lesser market to buy the entry level model of higher end, than people paying premium for range topping models.

This very human nature is super exploitable, and every manufacture is trying to create as many market segments as their production capability allows. And easy trick is they do a few low value for the money models at every class and makes you think you should look up a class to find yourself the bang for the buck model...
      05-02-2021, 10:53 PM   #25
brad850csi
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 16 F13 M6 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanWRT View Post
Where I live we have even lower models like G20 325i, which to my knowledge doesn't exist anywhere else. The reason behind is simply our local manufacturing capability is far ahead compared to anywhere else, and is more than just sufficient to support as many variants as market can want. They even consider phasing out the 330i models because very few want it. The most would skip right straight to the M3, simple solution.

There're far far more people stretching out budget from a lesser market to buy the entry level model of higher end, than people paying premium for range topping models.

This very human nature is super exploitable, and every manufacture is trying to create as many market segments as their production capability allows. And easy trick is they do a few low value for the money models at every class and makes you think you should look up a class to find yourself the bang for the buck model...
In effect that is people gravitating to the lowest of a chassis, or the highest. Whereas in the E39 as an example people had about 6 different engines to choose from that may have met different niches.
      05-03-2021, 07:21 AM   #26
Straight6Dave
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i

Garage List
2020 BMW M340  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanWRT View Post

It has nothing to do with local manufacturing capability. The only real variation in the Chinese market 3 series is just a lengthened chassis and different output levels for the B48. It's largely driven by a perception in the West that the Chinese market is status obsessed and it's big no-no to drive a car that's as nice/expensive as your boss (whether that's true or not).

That's the only reason you can buy an extended length 3 series in China whereas everyone in the west would've just bought a 5 series.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2021, 04:30 PM   #27
KoenG
Lieutenant Colonel
Belgium
Rep
Drives: i4 eDrive40 & Cupra Leon 300

iM2 with 1000kW next year!? Can this be real?

https://www.carmagazine.co.uk/spy-shots/bmw/im2/
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2021, 09:07 AM   #28
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoenG View Post
iM2 with 1000kW next year!? Can this be real?
The prototype is real, as discussed in depth here:

https://bimmerpost.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1810818

An electric M concept car that uses this technology is also a real possibility for next year.

There will be no actual product called "iM2" next year, not least because there will be no M2 in BMW's vehicle lineup at all next year. The G87 starts production in November for delivery in the spring of 2023, and that vehicle will be powered by an S58 gasoline engine. An electric counterpart is technically possible at some point, but extremely unlikely given what we know about BMW's electric roadmap. Instead, an electric M2 (or a small, M2-sized high performance electric coupe, at any rate), will most likely wait until at least the next generation, which will with near certainty be built on the upcoming Neue Klasse architecture debuting in 2025.

The first electric proper M vehicle might be the extreme-performance G60 5 Series that will probably use a production version of the drivetrain in the Katharina test car. Whether that will be called i5 Mnn, i5 M, i5M, M5i, or something else is not yet known.
Appreciate 2
BMWGirlFL6232.50
KoenG1417.50