BMW
X1 / X2
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW X1 (F48) and X2 (F39) Forums General BMW X1 Forum (F48) Ride quality of M Sport, X-line, and Base?

07-17-2019, 10:36 PM   #1
gagala
Rep
Drives: yugo

Ride quality of M Sport, X-line, and Base?

Hi guys. I am interested in an X1. How much more firm is the ride of the M Sport or X-line versus the base configuration?

Also, is the approach angle reduced with the different front bumper on the M Sport?
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2019, 03:01 AM   #2
Jorix
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 120d, BMW X1 xDrive20d

The approach angle should be the same on all models.

As for the ride firmness, I haven't driven the M Sport suspension, but the base one is firm enough for such kind of car.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2019, 05:55 PM   #3
gagala
Rep
Drives: yugo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jorix View Post
The approach angle should be the same on all models.

As for the ride firmness, I haven't driven the M Sport suspension, but the base one is firm enough for such kind of car.
Yeah, I really like the looks of the M Sport and the X-line. However, I have heard they ride firmer. And, I have also heard the base model already rides firm. I just don't want too jarring of a ride.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2019, 06:08 PM   #4
Skyline2.0
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW X1 xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by gagala View Post
Yeah, I really like the looks of the M Sport and the X-line. However, I have heard they ride firmer. And, I have also heard the base model already rides firm. I just don't want too jarring of a ride.
I think best way is to do test drive. Firmness is fairly subjective. Keep in mind the firmness will also vary based on whether the car has RFT or regular tires. Run flats will definitely produce a stiffer ride than conventional tires. The dealer I went to only stocked X1s with RFTs, so even a test drive of different trims may not answer your question fully.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2019, 12:09 PM   #5
Jorix
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gagala View Post
Mine is an X-line version with base suspension, but I guess that varies accross markets.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2019, 10:31 AM   #6
halcyon026
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E70 35i

I have an Msport with FRTs and it find it rough... Now I'm not sure if it's the suspension or the tires. Though I entend on replacing the tires ASAP. If that doesn't smooth it out enough I'll consider the KW coilovers.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2019, 11:35 AM   #7
Beagler
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Sept 2019 Facelift X1 MSPORT

Is it really that firm? Have the latest ones had any modifications to soften the ride?
What if its in Comfort mode and non Rft’s. ?

Last edited by Beagler; 07-22-2019 at 12:39 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2019, 01:49 PM   #8
RobinLegin
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 Xline 2i petrol

My 2 litre X1 x drive X line has 3 ride settings. Eco; Comfort; and Sport. Sport really hardens the suspension to such a point that the ride is most uncomfortable. Eco is certainly softer and I suspect reduces the active damping on the suspension. But it rolls more in eco as well as free wheels. Comfort mode is best overall.
I hate run flat tyres, and for good reason. Not only is the ride harder, but a colleague had a blow out on a motorway when the tyre shred itself. He was stuck at the side of the motorway for 5 hours before help reached him. And Motorways or Freeways are dangerous places to be stuck.
Incidentally, i also have BMW winter wheels with winter tyres. The wheels are smaller and the walls of the tyres bigger. The car rides more comfortably on its winter set up.
Appreciate 1
Beagler74.50
      07-22-2019, 03:08 PM   #9
oakey46
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 2 A/T 220i Lux Auto 1.5

I agree with RobinLegin, although I don't have the adaptive suspension, so Eco, Comfort or Sport on my X1 1.5Ltr sDrive xLine DSG auto only adjusts gear change and throttle response. I have 225/50x18 non-RFT tyres, Bridgestone Turanza T0001 and the ride was initially very firm, bordering on uncomfortable compared to my previous, non-BMW, cars over past years, As the tyres have worn in a little (5-6mm tread remaining all round) the ride has improved slightly, but the suspension will also have bedded in and that may have helped. I have also noticed the real improvement in ride quality when I use my BMW dealer supplied 17" winter wheel/tyre set (Pirelli tyres) but, in overall terms, the ride quality on the summer wheels and my less than comfortable driver's seat (my wife says her front passenger seat is perfectly OK) will influence my next choice of cars in a couple of years or so.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2019, 03:30 PM   #10
Beagler
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

My Tiguan has 19inch wheels and Scorpion puncture proof tyres. I’m hoping 19inch wheels, non Rft tyres and comfort suspension on the new x1 will be similar if not an improvement.
      07-23-2019, 02:43 AM   #11
Jorix
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beagler View Post
My Tiguan has 19inch wheels and Scorpion puncture proof tyres. I’m hoping 19inch wheels, non Rft tyres and comfort suspension on the new x1 will be similar if not an improvement.
I would go for 18 inch tyres, the difference in ride comfort is quite big. 19'' might be a pain to live with. As for RF tyres, I don't think they affect ride comfort that much, just road noise.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2019, 02:56 AM   #12
Beagler
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
I would go for 18 inch tyres, the difference in ride comfort is quite big. 19'' might be a pain to live with. As for RF tyres, I don't think they affect ride comfort that much, just road noise.
Too late its in build now.
      07-23-2019, 04:44 AM   #13
kavatski
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2023 X3 30iX

Quote:
We just traded a Tiguan with 18" non-RF tires and the sport suspension for an X1 with 18" RFTs and the base suspension. The BMW rides better, even with the change to RFTs (which do have a significant effect on ride quality). The X1 has more body roll on corners, but the smoother ride makes up for it.
Appreciate 1
Beagler74.50
      07-23-2019, 04:59 AM   #14
Beagler
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kavatski View Post
We just traded a Tiguan with 18" non-RF tires and the sport suspension for an X1 with 18" RFTs and the base suspension. The BMW rides better, even with the change to RFTs (which do have a significant effect on ride quality). The X1 has more body roll on corners, but the smoother ride makes up for it.
Thanks for that. I’ll take it as reassurance.

How do find the X1 to the Tiguan.
I was disappointed with the interior quality of the Tiguan but the rest of the car was good apart from the delay in the DSG Gearbox.
      07-23-2019, 06:58 AM   #15
ttimbo
Major
Rep
Drives: F48 X1 25i AW; F20 M135i AW

This has all been addressed in many earlier posts. To reiterate, the best, most flexible ride/handling compromise is to order the very economical Dynamic Damper Control (DDC, sometimes Electronic Damper Control — EDC — in some markets). This is NOT the adaptive damping that other BMWs feature; it simply provides an electronically actuated damper valve to give a firmer "Sport" damping when Sport is selected using the Driver Experience Control switch (Sport/Comfort/EcoPro) — Comfort and EcoPro ride control with DDC are the same.
In my opinion and experience, RFTs do adversely affect the car's ride, and the larger the wheel, the worse the ride (and tyre noise). For this reason, after test driving a number of models, I decided to 'downgrade' the wheels from 19" to 18" when ordering our Xdrive 25i (= 28i in Nth America) back in 2016, and am glad we did. Even better, when the RFTs became worn and I could replace them with non-RFTs. Same tyres (Pirelli P7) and just so much quieter and more comfortable to ride on.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2019, 08:50 AM   #16
Jorix
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttimbo View Post
To reiterate, the best, most flexible ride/handling compromise is to order the very economical Dynamic Damper Control (DDC, sometimes Electronic Damper Control — EDC — in some markets).
To be honest, I don't think that anyone would need a stiffer suspension in their X1, than the base one. That is not a sports car and the base suspension is stiff enough already.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2019, 01:03 PM   #17
kavatski
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2023 X3 30iX

Quote:
Thanks for that. I’ll take it as reassurance.

How do find the X1 to the Tiguan.
I was disappointed with the interior quality of the Tiguan but the rest of the car was good apart from the delay in the DSG Gearbox.
I thought the Tiguan interior we had in ours wasn't bad, but the X1 inside is nicer overall even if it does still have some cheap parts. Very different driving experience, of course. Our Tiguan was a 2.0 TSI with the 09G Aisin automatic and I really disliked the transmission programming to the point where I usually drove it in manual mode. The BMW is much better in that area and feels much more refined. There's a little bit of lag just when starting off from a stop on the X1, but not enough to bother me and certainly less than I've experienced on some Audis with the DSG.
Appreciate 1
Beagler74.50
      07-23-2019, 01:30 PM   #18
Beagler
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kavatski View Post
I thought the Tiguan interior we had in ours wasn't bad, but the X1 inside is nicer overall even if it does still have some cheap parts. Very different driving experience, of course. Our Tiguan was a 2.0 TSI with the 09G Aisin automatic and I really disliked the transmission programming to the point where I usually drove it in manual mode. The BMW is much better in that area and feels much more refined. There's a little bit of lag just when starting off from a stop on the X1, but not enough to bother me and certainly less than I've experienced on some Audis with the DSG.
Mine is a 2ltr TSI. I take you prefer the X1.
      07-23-2019, 06:25 PM   #19
ttimbo
Major
Rep
Drives: F48 X1 25i AW; F20 M135i AW

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ttimbo View Post
To reiterate, the best, most flexible ride/handling compromise is to order the very economical Dynamic Damper Control (DDC, sometimes Electronic Damper Control — EDC — in some markets).
To be honest, I don't think that anyone would need a stiffer suspension in their X1, than the base one. That is not a sports car and the base suspension is stiff enough already.
The suspension tune (spring rates?) with DDC/EDC is actually different to base or MSport. In Normal/EcoPro, it is a tad softer than the base (= better ride); in Sport, a little stiffer, enhancing handling if you are pressing on, which I often do. No, it's not a sports car, but it is a pretty decent drive.
Appreciate 0