BMW
X1 / X2
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW X1 (F48) and X2 (F39) Forums General BMW X1 Forum (F48) Use x1 18dA in prolonged stops

06-26-2019, 05:41 AM   #1
carlos050
Spain
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 18dA

Use x1 18dA in prolonged stops

Good Morning:
Do you use the electric brake in prolonged stops, for example at a traffic light?
I put it with the lever in D with the brake on, I activate the electric brake and release the foot. When the traffic light turns green accelerates and the brake is automatically removed.
This use is correct on the contrary it can cause some damage
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2019, 05:47 AM   #2
Jorix
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 120d, BMW X1 xDrive20d

Not sure I understood your last sentence, but no, it shouldn't cause any damage. That's actually the car's auto-hold feature, which BMW seemingly forgot to put the button switch for.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2019, 06:37 AM   #3
dianebrat
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 orange x2 xDrive28i

When did we reach the point where keeping a foot on the brake became "too much work" ??
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2019, 06:38 AM   #4
adi555
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F48

Quote:
Originally Posted by dianebrat View Post
When did we reach the point where keeping a foot on the brake became "too much work" ??
Modern problem needs modern solutions
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2019, 06:52 AM   #5
carlos050
Spain
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 18dA

Quote:
excuse my English, he is very basic
then if you're right
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2019, 12:58 PM   #6
MJE60
Captain
England
Rep
Drives: BMW G01 xDrive M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlos050 View Post
Good Morning:
Do you use the electric brake in prolonged stops, for example at a traffic light?
I put it with the lever in D with the brake on, I activate the electric brake and release the foot. When the traffic light turns green accelerates and the brake is automatically removed.
This use is correct on the contrary it can cause some damage
Engaging the parking brake when making a prolonged stop is regarded as good practice at night because you avoid dazzling drivers stopping behind you. The car automatic gear box will effectively go into neutral whilst the brake is applied so you DO NOT need to select neutral or park and as you have correctly stated the electric parking brake will disengage automatically when you apply gas (put foot back onto accelerator pedal). Some people believe it is sensible to keep your foot on the brake pedal when stopped (I have seen them refer to reducing the risk of being hit from behind) but imo this is overly cautious if you are stopped at traffic lights which are on red. If you are stopped in a location likely to cause confusion and/or collision risk then move and if you cannot move then put on the hazard warning light.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2019, 03:42 PM   #7
dianebrat
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 orange x2 xDrive28i

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJE60 View Post
Engaging the parking brake when making a prolonged stop is regarded as good practice at night because you avoid dazzling drivers stopping behind you. The car automatic gear box will effectively go into neutral whilst the brake is applied so you DO NOT need to select neutral or park and as you have correctly stated the electric parking brake will disengage automatically when you apply gas (put foot back onto accelerator pedal). Some people believe it is sensible to keep your foot on the brake pedal when stopped (I have seen them refer to reducing the risk of being hit from behind) but imo this is overly cautious if you are stopped at traffic lights which are on red. If you are stopped in a location likely to cause confusion and/or collision risk then move and if you cannot move then put on the hazard warning light.
I'm still not following the logic, brake lights are specifically there to show you are stopped in a visible way, I just do not understand the logic of stopping at a red light, leaving the car in park and deploying the parking brake, this makes zero sense to me for a dozen reasons which is why I'm asking.

Unless you're replacing your brake lights with high intensity off road lights I can't imagine it "dazzling" or "blinding" the driver behind.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2019, 06:29 AM   #8
MJE60
Captain
England
Rep
Drives: BMW G01 xDrive M Sport

Quote:
I'm still not following the logic, brake lights are specifically there to show you are stopped in a visible way, I just do not understand the logic of stopping at a red light, leaving the car in park and deploying the parking brake, this makes zero sense to me for a dozen reasons which is why I'm asking.

Unless you're replacing your brake lights with high intensity off road lights I can't imagine it "dazzling" or "blinding" the driver behind.
Thanks for comment, I think the view is that brake lights are there to show you are braking/slowing down and not that you are stopped. All cars have rear lights, they do not need an additional high intensity brake light showing when you are temporarily stopped. I know car light configuration varies by market and is different in the US to Europe (obvious in parts diagrams) so maybe US brake lights are lower intensity that European. It is also interesting but for owners living in areas where street lighting is rarer etc, brakes lights can not only affect night vision but are actually irritating. I would imagine if you mainly drive in an urban environment with lots of street lighting it would be less of an issue. Please do not get me wrong, from previous threads, I believe your perspective/view on this would be in the majority in the US and mine would be in the majority in Europe. I expect I to find out.
Appreciate 0