E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Cracked Windshield

10-03-2005, 01:44 PM   #1
06graphite
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 328xi Coupe

Cracked Windshield

So, my wife was driving the car this morning and a rock hit the windshield and cracked it.

The crack is about the size of a dime, so I'd like to have the windshield replaced. Should I have the dealer do it, or should I go with some third party company (my gut is telling me to have the dealer do it)?

Anyone in Massachusetts have any experience with how the insurance handles it?

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2005, 01:47 PM   #2
stressdoc
Dominica
Rep
Drives: BMW i8; Toy 4runner TRD pro

My insurance (which is really awesome, by the way, AMICA) always covers the full cost. They may want to negotiate who fixes it for you, and what is done. If it is just a crack out of the main sightlines they may want to melt it. The only way to find out about your insurance is to call them, coverage will be individual policy specific.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2005, 02:25 PM   #3
btc
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 06/330i/SB/TERA/AL

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 06graphite
So, my wife was driving the car this morning and a rock hit the windshield and cracked it.

The crack is about the size of a dime, so I'd like to have the windshield replaced. Should I have the dealer do it, or should I go with some third party company (my gut is telling me to have the dealer do it)?

Anyone in Massachusetts have any experience with how the insurance handles it?

Thanks!

I think you should have the dealer replace it. I dont know if third party company have windshield with built-in rain sensor, they might have to get that from BMW.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2005, 02:29 PM   #4
stressdoc
Dominica
Rep

Many dealers will not replace windshields because they are not as good at it as experienced local specialty shops. They usually are happy to provide the part at inflated prices, however.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2005, 02:31 PM   #5
06graphite
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

well, I've scheduled the dealer to replace it (next friday). i didn't think to ask about the rain sensor, but I'll call them back tomorrow (don't have time today) and see what they say.

I'm thinking that since the e90 is so new, the 3rd party companies may not have the parts/knowledge necessary to do it yet...
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2005, 02:34 PM   #6
stressdoc
Dominica
Rep

Windshield replacement is pretty much the same the world around. You need the right tools and the experience. I would not be surprised if your dealer took your car offsite to have the work done, and that is likely to be the right thing to do if they are not equipped to set it correctly.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2005, 02:47 PM   #7
Oz
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i, 2004 X5

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
How much would it cost or is it part of the insurance?
      10-03-2005, 04:34 PM   #8
etherbored
klactoveesedstene
Rep
Drives: das gut

i was discussing glass replacement with my service advisor and he said if i ever need any glass replaced to *never* have a third-party vendor do it. by default they use lower-grade replacement materials.
he went on to explain that if one must have a third-party vendor replace glass that they should be required to use genuine OEM BMW pilkington glass...
all i know is that there's huge differences in aftermarket glass quality.
fwiw,
-e-
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2005, 08:27 AM   #9
06graphite
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Since I started this thread, I figured it was only polite to give you guys an update.

I brought my car into the dealer last Thursday to have the windshield replaced. It was then that they told me they outsource to a third party (New England Mobile Auto Glass) to do their windshield work. I figured, no big deal, if the dealer trusts them, so can I.

Due to a minor miscommunication, the glass company wasn't scheduled correctly so they didn't have the windshield in stock so they had to order it. At that time, I was told that my insurance company (Premiere) wouldn't cover the full cost of OEM glass but the difference should only be $150. I agreed to pay the difference because I wanted BMW glass.

The glass finally came in on Monday (only a two day wait) and they came out and did it at my house yesterday.

I'm thrilled to report that everything came out perfectly! They used BMW glass (it's got the BMW logo on it on the bottom left (from the inside) corner).

They used the correct glass with the rain sensor too. So far, it looks beautiful.

If anyone wants details about the company I used or the dealer, just send me a PM and I'll be happy to share.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2005, 09:41 AM   #10
Broken1
Addict
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 40i M-Sport

That's great! It's nice to hear of a job well done.

Just FYI the rain sensor is not part of the windscreen, it's actually just stuck on the windscreen from the inside :-)

I would also have paid for the BMW glass, you don't want to drive around knowing your car isn't upto factory spec!!
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2005, 09:47 AM   #11
davinet78
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: bmw e90 320d

Garage List
glad to hear now you can carry on enjoying the car
      10-20-2005, 10:31 AM   #12
06graphite
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broken1
That's great! It's nice to hear of a job well done.

Just FYI the rain sensor is not part of the windscreen, it's actually just stuck on the windscreen from the inside :-)

I would also have paid for the BMW glass, you don't want to drive around knowing your car isn't upto factory spec!!
Thanks, I'm quite happy with the job they did and the way all the parties involved handled things.

As far as the rain sensor goes, it's my understanding that they can get windshields either with it already attached or without it attached and reuse your original window. They asked which one I wanted, so naturally I opted to get one with the sensor pre-attached...
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2005, 12:38 PM   #13
Broken1
Addict
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 40i M-Sport

Quote:
Thanks, I'm quite happy with the job they did and the way all the parties involved handled things.

As far as the rain sensor goes, it's my understanding that they can get windshields either with it already attached or without it attached and reuse your original window. They asked which one I wanted, so naturally I opted to get one with the sensor pre-attached...
That's very interesting.
So that would mean they attach the rainsensor to the car then? (And not the rainsensor to the windsheild...)
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2005, 07:07 AM   #14
06graphite
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Broken1,

The way I understood it, they could either get a new windshield with the rainsensor on it (which they did) or re-use the rain sensor from the old windshield. Which according to other internet resources comes out like crap.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2005, 01:24 PM   #15
weeram
Registered
Rep
Drives: e90 325i

I recently had a rock crack my windshield. My insurance, Geico, covers the glass. They have agreed to let me replace the windshield with a BMW windshield, however they refuse to let me have the dealer in Manhattan do the work. BMW of Manhattan does the actually work and does not shipped out the work. Is it worth fighting with the insurance company to have a dealer do the work? If not does anybody know a good windshield place in the NY metro area?
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2005, 01:26 PM   #16
F32Fleet
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i

Quote:
Since I started this thread, I figured it was only polite to give you guys an update.

I brought my car into the dealer last Thursday to have the windshield replaced. It was then that they told me they outsource to a third party (New England Mobile Auto Glass) to do their windshield work. I figured, no big deal, if the dealer trusts them, so can I.

Due to a minor miscommunication, the glass company wasn't scheduled correctly so they didn't have the windshield in stock so they had to order it. At that time, I was told that my insurance company (Premiere) wouldn't cover the full cost of OEM glass but the difference should only be $150. I agreed to pay the difference because I wanted BMW glass.

The glass finally came in on Monday (only a two day wait) and they came out and did it at my house yesterday.

I'm thrilled to report that everything came out perfectly! They used BMW glass (it's got the BMW logo on it on the bottom left (from the inside) corner).

They used the correct glass with the rain sensor too. So far, it looks beautiful.

If anyone wants details about the company I used or the dealer, just send me a PM and I'll be happy to share.

I'm curious..with a dime size crack, you couldn't get that filled with resin? Usually the max size for those types of cracks are $.25.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2005, 01:36 PM   #17
weeram
Registered
Rep
Drives: e90 325i

the crack is through the windshield and I've had the car for about 2 months now
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2005, 02:37 PM   #18
06graphite
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Socom
I'm curious..with a dime size crack, you couldn't get that filled with resin? Usually the max size for those types of cracks are $.25.
i've never had any luck (or known anyone who did) with resin fills.

that's why i had the windshield replaced.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2005, 02:37 PM   #19
thebigman
Private First Class
Scotland
Rep
Drives: E90 320d SE

I don’t know how it works in other countries, but in the UK, if the dealer does not have its own in-house repair service they often send the car to a 3rd party coachworks, however the 3rd party must be BMW Approved.

I was chatting to a service agent at my dealer and apparently it can take quite a while for a 3rd party to become Approved by BMW. Besides using genuine parts I assume the work must be inspected by BMW from time to time.

My car is being repaired next week - BMW Approved naturally.
Appreciate 0