BMW
X1 / X2
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X1 (F48) and X2 (F39) Forums General BMW X1 Forum (F48) Nav retrofit - what is required?

12-20-2016, 03:13 PM   #1
ajshanny
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 1M

Anyone know what is required for retrofitting nav in an X1 that was not equiped with it from the factory?
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2016, 08:37 PM   #2
Pristineship
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F48 X1 X line sDrive 20i

a whole lotta lot.
not worth it,
You would probably be able to retrofit just the smaller nav, because the Plus seems to require HUD too and retrofitting that would cost twice as much.
Having it done by BMW dealer you can count with 2k+, as just the parts cost 1400,
sourcing the headunit and parts yourself and having someone installed it for you you could maybe squeeze into 1200-1300 EUR, but it is just not worth it.
Just duct tape a phone on the idrive screen and use google maps
Appreciate 1
      12-21-2016, 01:52 AM   #3
Ed_rx7
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 CP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pristineship View Post
a whole lotta lot.
not worth it,
You would probably be able to retrofit just the smaller nav, because the Plus seems to require HUD too and retrofitting that would cost twice as much.
Having it done by BMW dealer you can count with 2k+, as just the parts cost 1400,
sourcing the headunit and parts yourself and having someone installed it for you you could maybe squeeze into 1200-1300 EUR, but it is just not worth it.
Just duct tape a phone on the idrive screen and use google maps

Lol....love it
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2016, 06:31 AM   #4
MrTracey
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F48 X1 xDrive20i MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajshanny View Post
Anyone know what is required for retrofitting nav in an X1 that was not equiped with it from the factory?
I thought it was standard on the F48 X1 ? It certainly is in the UK.

Are you talking about the F48 or E84? If it's E84 then you're posting in the wrong forum.
      12-22-2016, 09:51 AM   #5
Pristineship
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F48 X1 X line sDrive 20i

UK options in general for cars are limited, or as they like to call it "tailored to the need of UK drivers" as it sounds better than "keeping all the available model options in RHD variant is too expensive".
On top of that you still like to put those SE, LE... badges on the cars, so you have pre-selected packages in many cars that are available with a bit more freedom to choose your own in other countries. For example you can't buy FWD model s20i in UK, you can't buy 25i at all, you can't order s18i (the 3cyl one, but that is really not a loss , you can't order s20d and so on.

You can spec an X1 without satnav in most of the markets, anything below 5er can be ordered without satnav, you still have idrive, but simply without satnav and some other features depending on model.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2016, 08:38 PM   #6
VTECaddict
Where'd my VTEC go?
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 330i 6MT

New screen, new NBT headunit, new controller. Plus GPS antenna if car is not already equipped.

Plenty of F-series NBT/NBT2 EVO retrofits have been done, but I don't know if the F48's systems are compatible with the current emulators on the market. Also ConnectedDrive services and ARTTI live traffic will not work with retrofitted NBT.

The F48 actually uses the lower end ENTRYNAV unit across all models: non-nav, nav business, and nav plus. However, there is not much info on retrofitting ENTRYNAV with GPS, or activating GPS on an existing ENTRYNAV unit. The cost to do so may equal or exceed the cost of retrofitting the better NBT/NBT2 EVO unit.
Appreciate 0