BMW
X1 / X2
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X1 (F48) and X2 (F39) Forums General BMW X2 Forum (F39) Bootmod3 Flash Tune for x1/x2 | Not what I expected

01-01-2023, 09:10 AM   #1
TakeOne
Just1MoreMod
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3, F48 X1

Bootmod3 Flash Tune for x1/x2 | Not what I expected

When Bootmod3 announced that their B46/B48 Bootmod3 tune was officially available for the X1 & X2, I like many others, got excited that they officially specified it for those models. I unloaded by Dinan piggyback which had served me well for several years and pulled the trigger on a Bootmod3 license, along with the full map pack.
Something that was suppose to be incredibly easy, turned out to be anything but that.
For those who aren’t familiar with flash tuning, i decided to document the process in the video with all the necessary steps.

Their website (at the time…as they’ve modified it multiple times over the past 3 months) specified 2016+ X1’s and 2017+ X2’s. And vehicles with 11/2019+ software would require a DME unlock.
Mine being a 2017, I should’ve been golden. However, what I didn’t remember was that BMW had done a recall, and a software update in 2020, which inevitably locked by DME.

Obviously you know that in order to flash a locked DME, it has to be removed and bench flashed, so that’s what i had to do. I visited a local specialty shop that was able to remove my DME, bench flash it, and then reinstall it in under 90 minutes.

Finally Stage 1 was flashed and I set off for my first ride. Whomp whommmmp. Talk about a nothing burger. I mean, the disappointment on my face in the video says it all. Completely a dud. If it wasn’t for shooting the video AND for having a screen recording on my phone, i’d second guess myself If I flashed Stage 1 at all!

What i was hoping would be a two-part video, flashing Stage 1, then flashing Stage 2 and comparing differences, completely got squashed. At this point, I just wanted to see if Stage 2 would have anything to offer.

Well, the problems continued when I tried to download Stage 2. It just failed, multiple times in a row.
I had to reach out to Tech Support multiple times for them to eventually clear something on their backend which allowed me to finally download the Stage 2 map. (and no, i don’t have “stage 2 hardware”, but i’m not going to get in that here. I go in depth about that in the video)

After a successful flash of the Stage 2 map, i finally get to go out and feel what a proper flashed X1 should feel like. It’s SMOOTH. It’s STRONG, just lighter on it’s feet around town. Honestly, the low end/mid range seems pretty similar to how the Dinan piggyback was on it’s highest setting BUT from 5,500-7,000rpm’s, it’s VERY noticeable how much stronger it pulls. In stock form, as well on the Dinan, the top end would plateau and taper off. This feels as if it’s still gaining and swallowing more and more air. A very different, but welcomed feeling.

Anyways, as always, I try to deliver my real, honest reviews with you all. Enjoy the video. There’s plenty of tips, tricks, high’s/low’s (some low low’s lol) in there. Happy New Year
————
Cliff notes: Make sure your car hasn’t been updated by BMW and your DME is truly unlocked first. Stage 1 was/is a joke. Get the full map pack, but if you do only pick 1 map, pick Stage 2

01-01-2023, 02:25 PM   #2
chowser51
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F33 430 and F39 M35i

Garage List
Thank you for that! I sold my tdi piggyback when this came out knowing I would need a bench unlock.

I could never get a straight answer from PTF about if this will work on the X2 M35i so I never bought it.

If they can ever give me a straight answer, I’ll get the dme unlocked and try.
Appreciate 1
TakeOne353.50
      01-01-2023, 02:30 PM   #3
TakeOne
Just1MoreMod
United_States
Rep

Yeah, I’d be genuinely curious on their reply as well. Sometimes it takes a couple follow ups/friendly reminders to get a response from them. But let us know what they say!
      01-01-2023, 05:36 PM   #4
sirch
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 320i

Quote:
Originally Posted by chowser51 View Post
Thank you for that! I sold my tdi piggyback when this came out knowing I would need a bench unlock.

I could never get a straight answer from PTF about if this will work on the X2 M35i so I never bought it.

If they can ever give me a straight answer, I’ll get the dme unlocked and try.
I recently reached out navardituned who has a custom tune for the x2 m35i that will take the car to around 400hp for the stage 1. You might want to reach out to them if your interested in the tuning the car.

I would also suggest taking a look at the BMW Wiki page for more information on b48. https://bmwenginewiki.com/en/home
2001 M Roadster
Appreciate 1
chowser512034.00
      01-03-2023, 11:25 AM   #5
rice_rocket88
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E60 F48 F39

Love your videos.. I used to pop back once in a while to look for the tunes available and it has been crickets. I actually did pop on their website now and it is funny that they said X1, X2 on the main description, but when you scroll down it does not list the F48 or F39 with the disclaimer to still inquire. I also have the m35i model and have looked around on and off to see what's available. (Almost bought the dinan a few times for the wife's X1 but always missed out on awesome deals).

I do have a question though: The throttle response has never been a fan of mine for either car, and I have put a BMS pedal tuner on both cars to bandaid it a little more to my liking. Did/does the BM3 tune address any of that transmission issue at all?
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2023, 11:31 AM   #6
rice_rocket88
Major
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirch View Post
I recently reached out navardituned who has a custom tune for the x2 m35i that will take the car to around 400hp for the stage 1. You might want to reach out to them if your interested in the tuning the car.

I would also suggest taking a look at the BMW Wiki page for more information on b48. https://bmwenginewiki.com/en/home
I'm curious what would entail the 400hp benchmark. I know that with the BMS module I am pushing towards 27 PSI which I'm sure is getting closer to the top end of what the turbo can make power with. From what I gather that might just be the limitation and not much can be done other than timing and fuel adjustments, but that's a big jump.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2023, 02:52 PM   #7
TakeOne
Just1MoreMod
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rice_rocket88 View Post
Love your videos.. I used to pop back once in a while to look for the tunes available and it has been crickets. I actually did pop on their website now and it is funny that they said X1, X2 on the main description, but when you scroll down it does not list the F48 or F39 with the disclaimer to still inquire. I also have the m35i model and have looked around on and off to see what's available. (Almost bought the dinan a few times for the wife's X1 but always missed out on awesome deals).

I do have a question though: The throttle response has never been a fan of mine for either car, and I have put a BMS pedal tuner on both cars to bandaid it a little more to my liking. Did/does the BM3 tune address any of that transmission issue at all?
Exactly! But lucky for me, I screen record all my logins and flashes, and in October 2022, they still CLEARLY listed in on their list of models as seen here in my screenshot
Attached Images

01-04-2023, 11:08 AM   #8
rice_rocket88
Major
No_Country
Rep

So.. how about the throttle response on the stop/go. Any better? I find that in stock mode it was always the worst when you came up to an intersection to turn left, then let off the brake to hit the gas and then there's this dead spot and then all hell brakes loose. I've since got better at it, but 1) Pedal tuner made it better 2) putting it in sport mode all the time makes it better.

The JB4 piggyback I have does not do a thing for that transmission response.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2023, 09:31 PM   #9
chowser51
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
I’m now automatically putting the car into sport when I start the car. My daughter always did it when she drove my car. Now she kicks it into sport+ lol
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2023, 08:23 AM   #10
tedgelee
Rep
Drives: BMX X2

Quote:
Originally Posted by chowser51 View Post
I’m now automatically putting the car into sport when I start the car. My daughter always did it when she drove my car. Now she kicks it into sport+ lol
You can code it with BimmerCode to keep it auto in sport mode when you turn the car on.
Appreciate 1
chowser512034.00
      05-01-2023, 07:57 AM   #11
Carlman3
Private
Rep
Drives: 2020 X1, 2009 328i

One of the reasons I bought this car is it seemed a tune/chip/piggyback solution was available... but seems like that's only the case for 2019 or prior.

Can anyone confirm what a good solution is for 2020+ vehicles? I just want to add a little more 'pep'.. get it up to a normal B48 engine output.. maybe 275hp.. why is this engine output so much lower than others?

- Dinan offers 2 piggy backs, $230 for a simple psi boost increase and $600 for something identical to Racechip GTS which uses 3 sensors. I haven't directly confirmed it works/updated for 2020, but their site clearly lists it is compatible.

- Racechip offers a solution but I don't know if it works on 2020+ models. $375 on sale for a new one... (I bought one used and the MAF connector is wrong, see attached plug mismatch; stock is on the bottom, pins are in different locations, notches don't align) -waiting to hear back if they have an updated connector. So far support has been ok.
*edit* - no reply from Racechip after a few emails over a week.. so, not so great support.. and since they don't differentiate 2020+, then no, this doesn't work.
*Edit 2*
Race chip got back to me and confirmed the new model works. They no longer use the maf and their solution is very different than the older model I have. So, if you want a piggy back, this works. Their customer service is adequate to me.

JB4 has a "BMW B38/B46/B48/B58 JB4 Tuner" but also just lists 2016+, so likely doesn't fit a 2020+... $530 - is it any different than Dinan X or GTS?

- BM3, still not sure if it works on 2020+ ~$600. Based on this video it seems the X1 isn't supported. According to their site, the "BOOTMOD3 B48 B46" does not list the X1/F48 in the compatibility. I'm guessing the struggles were too real after this video?
*Edit 2*
Customer service got back to me quickly. Everything depends on whether your DME is locked. My car was manufactured in June 2020.. right on the cusp of changes. So, I have to get a cable and connect to a laptop, check if DME is available or not. If so, this seems like a good path.

MH flash is another option I see out there.. not sure if it will work or not.. probably the same deal as bm3.. and DME available/dependent.

- Custom/dyno tune - $400-$600? I've had this done on a Hyundai Genesis Coupe in the past.. and I was happy with the results on an NA engine and a turbo will be a more dramatic improvement.
*edit* BPC/Bimmer Performance Center does not do tunes anymore. They replicate the dealership offerings from what I can tell, at similar prices.

Right now I'm leaning toward a custom tune so that all systems in the car are talking to each other; like the transmission. I don't want to add a little pep and subtract 4-5 years off the life of my transmission/car. So, I might have to go to a local shop and get them to do something magical... for $500 might be better off anyway.
*edit* Now I'm leaning toward doing nothing (again)... I got the itch but I'm not paying $600 for a piggyback from Dinan... I might do the $230 boost control..

I definitely don't want to get stuck with mediocre support on something that's supposed to be fun.
*edit* this seems to be the case from anyone I've contacted - good luck finding someone that's interested and engaged with your project.
*Edit 2*
Not true. Be patient, everyone got back to me. I have other cars too.. just chill.
Attached Images

Last edited by Carlman3; 05-05-2023 at 09:35 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2023, 10:42 AM   #12
rice_rocket88
Major
No_Country
Rep

Hmm that's surprising that it's a similar plug yet different?

I would simply call up Terry @ Burger just to ask what's up with the plugs. But I suppose the first obvious question is.. did you get the right plug?

Seeing as all the piggybacks use a combination of 1-3 of the same plugs I am pretty surprised?

Kind of looking at your above picture and the open socket is facing up.. I believe it doesn't look like you have the right plug?
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2023, 07:46 PM   #13
Carlman3
Private
Rep

This was installed on a 2016 (I think)
I bought it used, then tried to install it on a 2020. I flipped it around and then started looking at it up close. I realized it would never fit. I remember someone saying they changed the mass air flow sensor on 2020 and up.

Live and learn.. don't jump on the first thing you see..
Regardless, it will work for a 2016 to 19. The guy I bought it from is legit. The original receipt is in the box. So should be great for someone else.

I have bought an ethernet OBD cable and found out that I'm unlocked. I reached out to the OP of this thread and he recommended bootmod3 even after his frustrations getting it working. After weighing all the choices it seems like that's the right way to go.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2023, 08:08 PM   #14
rice_rocket88
Major
No_Country
Rep

From your picture it just doesn't seem like the right place..ie if you're taking off the MAF sensor you're taking the wrong one off.. you need to use the map sensor which is in a different location that should be on the charge pipe near the radiator. Maybe it's coincidence that in the bottom right foreground of your picture it looks like that's the plug you took off.
Appreciate 1
      05-12-2023, 04:38 PM   #15
Carlman3
Private
Rep

There are three main sensor connections coming off of my unit. A, B, and C.
According to this video it goes on the MAF:

Everything lined up with this install except for part C of the wiring harness.

The printed instructions are for a different car I think an audi. The link above is the best I could find.

Newer versions of the race chip GTS only have an A and B sensor hookup.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2023, 10:01 PM   #16
rice_rocket88
Major
No_Country
Rep

Ah right, sorry I missed the part with the racechip.. seeing as I have the jb4 and you were questioning that there were NO things available... well I would say then the jb+, the jb4, and the dinan will all plug and play... They don't use the MAF plug at all...
Appreciate 1
      05-15-2023, 05:33 AM   #17
Carlman3
Private
Rep

Yeah, bottom line is that a new version of Race chip, jb4, or Dinan will work.
Bootmod3 will work IF your DME is unlocked or you're willing to get it unlocked by a BM3 dealer. To find out, you must install software and get a cable.

My car was produced in June 2020 which means I should be unlocked. Not in my case. I thought at first all was good, because I saw green status, check marks, etc. But no. Sheesh.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2023, 09:15 AM   #18
chowser51
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Mine is a 2019. My DME is locked. Dealer probably did an update some time ago.
Appreciate 1