BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X1 (F48) and X2 (F39) Forums General BMW X2 Forum (F39) Dash Cam Install

01-06-2022, 02:58 PM   #1
Rich807
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X2

Dash Cam Install

This is the 3rd time I've installed one of these setups. The 1st two were in Audis. Only difference between the Audi installs & this BMW install is the ridiculous excuse for a fuse map BMW gives the common owner to work with (which you get after having to hunt around the internet, then have to learn a new type of hieroglyphics to decipher it).

We've caught some super crazy stuff on the others we've been running & used footage off of our '16 Audi from when it was totalled last summer in a rear-end accident. The police & insurance company both used the video (good for us). I find them pretty much mandatory in today's day & age where most people won't fess up to what they did. Helps eliminate 'your word vs the other guy's'.

Anyway....

Hardware Used in Intstall:

-VIOFO A129 Plus Dash Cam 2K 1440P 60FPS with GPS Wi-Fi, 140° Wide Angle, Parking Mode, Emergency Recording, Super Capacitor, Motion Detection
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

-VIOFO HK3 ACC Hardwire Kit, Enables Parking Mode, Low Voltage Protection

-Recoil 10 Pack 12V Car Add-a-Circuit Fuse Tap Adapter ATO ATC Blade Fuse Holder with 10pcs 10A,20A Fuses (FT1-10)

-eBoot 100 Pieces Adhesive Cable Clips Wire Clips Cable Wire Management Wire Cable Holder Clamps Cable Tie Holder for Car, Office and Home

-Male & Female 16-14ga Bullet Terminals (I think I picked them up at Autozone a couple years ago)

-8mm socket to take off the 2 nuts that hold the leading edge of the under glove box black cover

-T-30 Driver to losen/tighten back the bolt under the glove box panel I used for a ground point.

============================

Used T-30 bolt located on right side of the car under the black glovebox cover for ground point for camera hardwire kit.

Tapped fuse location 65 (12v cig lighter feed) for 'accessory' wire to camera hardwire kit.

Tapped fuse location 107 (rear hatch) for the 'hot' feed to the camera hardwire kit.
Attached Images

Last edited by Rich807; 01-06-2022 at 03:55 PM..
Appreciate 1
//TMT128.50
      01-07-2022, 05:14 PM   #2
//TMT
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X2 M35i, 2005 Volvo V50T5

Great info, thanks! I like those add-a-circuit fuse taps, had not seen that before for some reason.

You mention using the feed after a rear-ender, but this install is forward-only, right? Was it any kind of issue for the evidence, assuming your old one was also forward?
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2022, 06:31 PM   #3
Rich807
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X2

Quote:
Originally Posted by //TMT View Post
Great info, thanks! I like those add-a-circuit fuse taps, had not seen that before for some reason.

You mention using the feed after a rear-ender, but this install is forward-only, right? Was it any kind of issue for the evidence, assuming your old one was also forward?
Been using fuse taps for decades, they work great.

Yes, old cam was single channel as well - front facing. The video proved wife wasn’t doing anything stupid at time of collision. Showed what traffic was doing in front of her & in other lanes. Also showed force of impact - how far car was pushed on impact. The offender’s car (an xterra) was crushed up to the firewall basically.

Good thing about this setup is it allows expansion to 2nd channel if a person wants to later on.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2022, 09:26 PM   #4
CBRacerX
Rep
Drives: 2008 135iC

Nice setup.
Appreciate 0