BMW
X1 / X2
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X1 (F48) and X2 (F39) Forums General BMW X1 Forum (F48) X1 xDrive25E Hybrid - reliability

09-22-2020, 04:49 AM   #1
greddyuk
Rep
Drives: i8

X1 xDrive25E Hybrid - reliability

Hi All,

I am looking at picking up my BMW xDrive25E M Sport hybrid soon - its a demo car, and has only done 2500miles.
Comes with Techpack 1&2 and M Sport pack 2
Its the storm Grey colour.

I was wondering if anyone has had any issues with it so far? i know that its a new X1 vehicle thats only launched in march this year - however, how does the range on the battery fare? Does it actually do 30miles?

Has anyone suffered issues and is there anything i need to check with the dealer prior to picking up car?
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2020, 03:00 AM   #2
AnnEllie
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW mini

Congratulations! You are ready to get an amazing car! Waiting for someone to provide an answer, too.
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2020, 09:19 AM   #3
greddyuk
Rep

i have picked up the car for couple of days now.
It has been a great car to drive and very easy to drive too.
The car size is good for a good amount of boot space. The back seats for comfortable for 3 adults and i didnt even notice the battery is situated beneath the back seat until i read up about it. A great feature of the back seats is that you can incline all 3 parts of the back seats and that is great, because my son always complained my previosu car - Merc b Class - was too straight to the back. The front seats are relatively comfortable with great side support so when you are turning corners at a relatively higher speed than normal - it supports the body well! The noise level is very good - very quiet with and without petrol ensgine on - in fact alot of the times - i dont even know the petrol engine has kicked in. I have the M-Sport steering wheel and its very nice for hold - soft with a spongey touch.
The packs included in the car are:
Tech pack 1 & 2 -
1 - Wireless Charging, Adaptive LED headlights, Reversing Camera.
2 - Head-Up Display, Navigation Plus
M sport pro pack - Harman Kardon Hi-Fi, Sun Protection Glass, M Seat Belts, 19" Alloy Wheels

The heads up display is amazing - i really liked it - some may be put off with it being there all the time, however, there is an option to switch it off.

The adaptive headlights also really cool - extremely bright and now going down country lanes - i am able to see much further and clearer.

Wireless Apple Carplay - this is great! now there is no need to get a cable and plug in to start carplay - its fully automatic the momemt you start the car - the car is connect the phone to car via bluetooth and then will use the WIFI on the phone to send data to the MMI and within 10secs - you will be connected to Apple Carplay.

The only thing i miss on the car is having adaptive cruise control - this is normal cruise control with the automatic decelerate and accelarate function and braking, as its very useful on the motorway.
This option was not on the car.

However, there are some things that are frustrating and needs to be thought out better.

1) Wireless charging - i was driving back from the garage - which is a 3hour drive, my phone was only on 8% battery, so i put it on the wireless charger - after driving for around just over 1hour - the carplay switched off. i checked my phone and it says it has overheated. This was very worrying. i put the phone on the air-con to cool it down.when cooled - it went back on and the battery was only on 22% charged. The wireless charger - up to date - have not been great, and i stopped using - i now got a cable to charge when necessary via USB-C port.

2) Electric battery - supposedly, the battery should run on a range of 35miles. After charging it up to 100% everytime - i am only seeing 26-28mile range on the computer - there is no way i am getting 35miles - however, its been cold these few days - so not sure if this is affecting the car. I will further assess the mileage.

3) Electric Battery charging - whilst driving back from the garage - i stopped at service station and used the ECOTRICITY chargers. I started charging the car at the stations and after 45mins - i charged 8miles - this is a rapid charger (apparently) - i realised afterwards - this is because the car's charging speed is not a rapid charging (3.7 kW AC - 7mph). This is not good if you want to charge on motorways.

If you rely on charging overnight at home, and 80% of time - you drive around the city and short distances - then this car will be fine - if you plan to use on motorway and long distances - then you are better getting a diesel. You cannot rely on charging this car at motorway points - its too slow.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2020, 02:27 PM   #4
bimmerman_X1
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW X1

Quote:
Originally Posted by greddyuk View Post

3) Electric Battery charging - whilst driving back from the garage - i stopped at service station and used the ECOTRICITY chargers. I started charging the car at the stations and after 45mins - i charged 8miles - this is a rapid charger (apparently) - i realised afterwards - this is because the car's charging speed is not a rapid charging (3.7 kW AC - 7mph). This is not good if you want to charge on motorways.

Thanks
Thanks so much, this is kind of a deal breaker for me. Why cant they get things like these right.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2020, 01:32 AM   #5
AnnEllie
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW mini

bmw is the best

Feeling pleased to see the feedback of good BMW experience. I knew that BMW is the best.I am a big fan of it. But recently bmw x1 2019 has always been compared by critic with Peugeot 3008 Allure Plus, which has similar body size and almost the same engine capacity. Needless to say, I choose bmw all the time.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2020, 04:43 AM   #6
BobbyGrant
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 X1 F48 xdrive xline 2.0 d

Quote:
Originally Posted by greddyuk View Post
It has been a great car to drive and very easy to drive too.
The car size is good for a good amount of boot space. The back seats for comfortable for 3 adults and i didnt even notice the battery is situated beneath the back seat until i read up about it. A great feature of the back seats is that you can incline all 3 parts of the back seats and that is great, because my son always complained my previosu car - Merc b Class - was too straight to the back. The front seats are relatively comfortable with great side support so when you are turning corners at a relatively higher speed than normal - it supports the body well! The noise level is very good - very quiet with and without petrol ensgine on - in fact alot of the times - i dont even know the petrol engine has kicked in. I have the M-Sport steering wheel and its very nice for hold - soft with a spongey touch.
The packs included in the car are:
Tech pack 1 & 2 -
1 - Wireless Charging, Adaptive LED headlights, Reversing Camera.
2 - Head-Up Display, Navigation Plus
M sport pro pack - Harman Kardon Hi-Fi, Sun Protection Glass, M Seat Belts, 19" Alloy Wheels

The heads up display is amazing - i really liked it - some may be put off with it being there all the time, however, there is an option to switch it off.

The adaptive headlights also really cool - extremely bright and now going down country lanes - i am able to see much further and clearer.

Wireless Apple Carplay - this is great! now there is no need to get a cable and plug in to start carplay - its fully automatic the momemt you start the car - the car is connect the phone to car via bluetooth and then will use the WIFI on the phone to send data to the MMI and within 10secs - you will be connected to Apple Carplay.

The only thing i miss on the car is having adaptive cruise control - this is normal cruise control with the automatic decelerate and accelarate function and braking, as its very useful on the motorway.
This option was not on the car.

However, there are some things that are frustrating and needs to be thought out better.

1) Wireless charging - i was driving back from the garage - which is a 3hour drive, my phone was only on 8% battery, so i put it on the wireless charger - after driving for around just over 1hour - the carplay switched off. i checked my phone and it says it has overheated. This was very worrying. i put the phone on the air-con to cool it down.when cooled - it went back on and the battery was only on 22% charged. The wireless charger - up to date - have not been great, and i stopped using - i now got a cable to charge when necessary via USB-C port.

2) Electric battery - supposedly, the battery should run on a range of 35miles. After charging it up to 100% everytime - i am only seeing 26-28mile range on the computer - there is no way i am getting 35miles - however, its been cold these few days - so not sure if this is affecting the car. I will further assess the mileage.

If you rely on charging overnight at home, and 80% of time - you drive around the city and short distances - then this car will be fine - if you plan to use on motorway and long distances - then you are better getting a diesel. You cannot rely on charging this car at motorway points - its too slow.

Thanks
Surely a hybrid is only for the types of use that you refer to? For people doing longer journeys they are going to rely on the petrol engine. They are not going to want to rapid charge to get 30 miles on electricity when they have a 200 mile journey to go?
For the majority who will stick it on charge overnight, and get around 30 mile range the next day towards their commute , that will be fine.

Interestingly, I have seen a few 225XEs at auction with very high mileages, like 90000 after 2 or 3 years. I guess very little of those miles were done on electric, probably bought / leased for the tax benefits.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2020, 10:16 AM   #7
greddyuk
Rep

However, i have tried running the car on petrol only - putting the car on EV save mode - so it it saves the electricity for city commutes - and i have managed on 30miles of motorway, touring at 50mph - 75mph - i got a estimated 55mpg - which aint bad, considering it was similar to my previous old Merc B class diesel. I am rather heavy footed, so i believe some my get even better results.
A full tank of petrol is 35L, and it estimates a range of 290mile, so with a fully charge battery - you expect around 320miles.
Appreciate 0