BMW
X1 / X2
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X1 (F48) and X2 (F39) Forums General BMW X1 Forum (F48) Got my VIN, what's next?

06-09-2016, 02:17 PM   #1
logansdad2015
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW X1

Got my VIN, what's next?

Hello,

This is actually my first post but I always enjoyed reading the various threads so I decided to register!

So I ordered my US-spec X1 through a special channel (not through your normal dealer) and I got my VIN two days ago. Since I didn't order through a normal dealer, apparently I cannot track it through My BMW nor by phone.

At which point of production is my car in if the VIN was just issued? Does it mean that they just started or does it mean that it's actually close to being finished?
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2016, 02:41 PM   #2
CliveL
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2016 X1 F48 xDrive20i xLine

Hi,
I'm also excitedly waiting for the build of my xLine 20i to go through. There's a list of possible build status codes as follows, which I guess are in chronological order:

0000 Cancelled
0037 Model or Feature Unavailable
0077 No Quota Available
0097 No Current Event Allocated
0500 Cannot be Scheduled

1100 Scheduled
1200 Scheduled for Production
5000 Confirmed for Production
5050 Chassis Number Allocated
5055 Confirmed by Production Control

5100 Bodyshop Start
5190 Bodyshop Complete
5200 Paintshop Start
5270 Paintshop Complete
5300 Pre-Assembly Start
5400 Assembly Start
5500 Assembly Complete

6000 Transfer to Distribution
8200 Released to Carrier
9000 Departed Plant
9615/35/45 In Storage
9610/20/30/40/50/60 In Transit
9800 Arrived Dealer

So the VIN allocation is still quite early in the process by the look of it. If you have an order number of some sort you should be able to get a progress update from the BMW Genius Chat service on the BMW website. I've used it once to get the current code; mine is still 1200

Hope that helps!
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2016, 07:15 PM   #3
AUS_Tin_Pusher
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: F48 X1 xDrive25i

Quote:
At which point of production is my car in if the VIN was just issued? Does it mean that they just started or does it mean that it's actually close to being finished?
My VIN was allocated and the vehicle built, all within two days, Then about 5 days to be loaded on a ship.

Do either of the following work with your VIN (input just the last 7 characters):

http://www.bimmer.work/
http://www.bmwvin.com/
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2016, 10:29 PM   #4
logansdad2015
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliveL View Post
Hi,

So the VIN allocation is still quite early in the process by the look of it. If you have an order number of some sort you should be able to get a progress update from the BMW Genius Chat service on the BMW website. I've used it once to get the current code; mine is still 1200

Hope that helps!
Thanks! The timeline did help but my particular build can only be traced through where I ordered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUS_Tin_Pusher View Post
My VIN was allocated and the vehicle built, all within two days, Then about 5 days to be loaded on a ship.

Do either of the following work with your VIN (input just the last 7 characters):

http://www.bimmer.work/
http://www.bmwvin.com/
Yes I did try these sites and my full VIN does populate with all the details but Production Date says 0001-01-01. Oh well, I waited this long so what's a little more?

Guess I really shouldn't complain too much since I live in Germany so there's no vessel I need to stalk during the shipping process!
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2016, 04:22 AM   #5
AusF20/F48
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: F20 125i MS, F48 XD25i

I am informed that the current production time estimate is somewhere between 6 to 8 weeks at the facility, so it will depend on what date your order was placed, and what options you ordered. Most options are done during the standard production now.
As your X1 is a USA delivery, there is the shipping time from Germany to Galveston Texas, (this where they load the US built X3 & X5 for delivery for other markets) then onto the dealer.
My X1 went from Germany to UK, then onto Galveston, then to Brisbane, Australia. That took 8weeks. So you could assume it will be around 6 weeks to USA plus clearance plus delivery to dealer and the pre delivery.
That puts your delivery somewhere around 13 to 15 weeks from when your order was placed on BMW.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2016, 05:12 AM   #6
logansdad2015
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AusF20/F48 View Post
I am informed that the current production time estimate is somewhere between 6 to 8 weeks at the facility, so it will depend on what date your order was placed, and what options you ordered. Most options are done during the standard production now.
As your X1 is a USA delivery, there is the shipping time from Germany to Galveston Texas, (this where they load the US built X3 & X5 for delivery for other markets) then onto the dealer.
My X1 went from Germany to UK, then onto Galveston, then to Brisbane, Australia. That took 8weeks. So you could assume it will be around 6 weeks to USA plus clearance plus delivery to dealer and the pre delivery.
That puts your delivery somewhere around 13 to 15 weeks from when your order was placed on BMW.
This is my build that I ordered at the end of April:

xLine28i
Alpine White
Black Sensatec
Parking Assistance Package
Cold Weather Package

So it's a fairly basic build. I ordered a US-spec but I live in Germany so I am assuming that delivery shouldn't have that extra 8 weeks that you mentioned.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2016, 07:28 AM   #7
Saintsman
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X1 2.0i x-drive Sport AW

I'm sure I read on another thread that you can get your user manuals for your vehicle on MyBMW once you have your VIN. I've tried but nothing comes up, is this service available for UK orders?
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2016, 09:47 AM   #8
AusF20/F48
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: F20 125i MS, F48 XD25i

Quote:
Originally Posted by logansdad2015 View Post
This is my build that I ordered at the end of April:

xLine28i
Alpine White
Black Sensatec
Parking Assistance Package
Cold Weather Package

So it's a fairly basic build. I ordered a US-spec but I live in Germany so I am assuming that delivery shouldn't have that extra 8 weeks that you mentioned.
Yes, if you collecting the X1 in Germany, it should be around 7 to 8 weeks from order plus dealer transfer and pre delivery times.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2016, 12:36 PM   #9
Bill_P
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X1 xDrive 20i xLine MW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintsman View Post
I'm sure I read on another thread that you can get your user manuals for your vehicle on MyBMW once you have your VIN. I've tried but nothing comes up, is this service available for UK orders?
It is, but I have a feeling I had to wait a few days before it became active. It may even have been that it is only available once the car is built - but that was only a few days after I got the VIN
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2016, 01:36 PM   #10
Saintsman
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X1 2.0i x-drive Sport AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill_P View Post
It is, but I have a feeling I had to wait a few days before it became active. It may even have been that it is only available once the car is built - but that was only a few days after I got the VIN
Thanks Bill, I'll keep looking.
Maybe we should go back to the old days, when you placed an order and then got a phone call some weeks later to say your car was ready.
Appreciate 0