E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Photo/Video/Media Gallery > Bored at Work.

11-17-2005, 02:03 AM   #45
BMW Lawman
Supreme Commander of Allied Forces
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 335i Sport

Garage List
:finger:
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike sax
Can anyone spell HYPOCRITICLE ?
Can you spell ANAL? :finger:
      11-17-2005, 03:25 PM   #46
mike sax
Rep
Drives: 2006 330xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW Lawman
:finger:

Can you spell ANAL? :finger:
I can. I can also spell suspend. Being a police officer for the past 28 years and a lieutenant and late night shift commander for the past three I'd spell it right next to the oath you took to protect and serve.
I'm not really anal. Just a 56 year old cop who's a father and a grandfather and has pulled more kids out of wrecks in my career than you probably have years on this earth. It's good to be a cool cop and identify with people but try and set a good example while you do it.

Lt.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2005, 03:31 PM   #47
noflash
Captain Caveman
Rep
Drives: '06 325eyeyiyi

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
I can. I can also spell suspend. Being a police officer for the past 28 years and a lieutenant and late night shift commander for the past three I'd spell it right next to the oath you took to protect and serve.
I'm not really anal. Just a 56 year old cop who's a father and a grandfather and has pulled more kids out of wrecks in my career than you probably have years on this earth. It's good to be a cool cop and identify with people but try and set a good example while you do it.

Lt.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2005, 03:43 PM   #48
puck724
COLTS 4 LIFE!!!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
theres a new sheriff in town...
      11-17-2005, 04:03 PM   #49
lux.sh
missing two turbos.
United_States
Rep
Drives: fast around corners.

Garage List
ouch. BMW_Lawman is taking a hit.

: Prior Design Front : ACS Rear : ACS Roof : BlackLines : Simota Intake : Carbon Fiber Interior Trim :
: MTEC V3 : 24% Charcoal : V1 Hardwired : Solaris Invisibulbs/LED interior :
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2005, 12:15 PM   #50
timzerofive
there is no spoon
Rep
Drives: 330i manual

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Quote:

Lt.
So I got a question for you police officers. It is an honest gripe and I'm not trying to be a smartass. I just want to know why it is that a cop would spend time hiding in some dark back roads in a blindspot essentially setting a speed trap and hands out tickets one after another, but when I was harrassed and almost ran off the road by a drunk driver on the large interstate freeway 5, there was no cop around.

Not only was there no one around, when I called 911 after the guy threw stuff out of his car and dented my old car, they said call the local sheriff's office, then when i called there, they told me they can't help me and I have to call CHP, then when I call CHP, they said they only have one cruiser patroling a 30 mile stretch (from disneyland area down to laguna niguel) so chances are they won't catch him. One hour after I got home, a CHP cruiser finally shows up. I gave him a few numbers I got off the license plate and a detailed description of the vehicle, but he said unless they saw the guy actually throwing the item out the window, they can't do anything about it.

So why is that a police officer would spend more time pulling over people who are slightly going over speed limit, when they should be concentrating on people who are more dangerous. Yes, speeders are dangerous also and they are breaking the law, but that's like saying you rather spend your time catching 10 yr old shop lifters when next door a murder just took place and the murderer got away.

I know you might say, well we can't be everywhere, but the truth is when I drive the 30 miles stretch of the 5 everyday to work, I will at least see a couple of chp cruisers pulled over giving tickets. I would see them even more often at the end of the months with one pulled over every few miles. So why are there so many officers available when speeding tickets are being given out but only one available when a drunk driver's endangering people on the road?
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2005, 01:40 PM   #51
JonnyCrash
Driver
Canada
Rep
Drives: VW GTI, BMW X5 40i M-Sport

Quote:

Lt.

Well said, Lt. Sax. BMW_Lawman, I respect your chosen profession and am sure that you are very good at your job, despite your occasional goofing off when bored... heck, I know that I goof off at mine every once in a while as well (oops, I'm doing it now!). However, when most of us goof off we don't endanger ourselves and others... and despite what you may think, that is what you are doing. Yes, you were speeding at 3am when the streets are probably empty. But what happens when another car is coming the other way, with the driver a little drunk and also speeding because at 3am the streets are empty? And there you are, playing around with a camera in one hand and a lead foot on the gas pedal, worrying more about your auto-focus than on the road ahead.

As someone who has recently been pulled out of a high-speed wreck that happened as a result of an utterly random event (at least as random as someone else being on your road at 3am), I can only shake my head in disbelief at your recklessness. You should know better. A lot better.

The next time you want to test out your cruiser, please do so at the police test track, or at least at the real race track. Take all the pictures you want there. Have all the fun you want there. But please try and drive responsibly on the road... not even nececssarily the limit, but at least safely.

Oh, and for the rest of you reading this: this advice is for you as well. Paying to use a racetrack is a lot better than endangering lives. And if you don't think you can afford the access fees to a track... well... you shouldn't be on this board. [Edit: try DE events; they are fabulous, fun and should be covered by your insurance.] And for those who will accuse me of being anal: perhaps I am, but it's a price I gladly pay for being the one who leaves the accident outside the body bag.

Last edited by JonnyCrash; 11-18-2005 at 02:23 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2005, 01:46 PM   #52
noflash
Captain Caveman
Rep
Drives: '06 325eyeyiyi

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Abulia
And if you don't think you can afford to go to a track... well... you shouldn't be on this board.
No, I can't afford the cost of my car if it is totalled on a track. I guess I can't be on your board.

I am glad you are able to drive so slow and carefully on your high horse.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2005, 02:21 PM   #53
JonnyCrash
Driver
Canada
Rep
Drives: VW GTI, BMW X5 40i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by noflash
No, I can't afford the cost of my car if it is totalled on a track. I guess I can't be on your board.

I am glad you are able to drive so slow and carefully on your high horse.
Try driver's ed days; they should be covered by your insurance. And from on my high horse, I can see that if you total your car on the highway it's really not that much of a cost savings.

Drive safe.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2005, 03:02 PM   #54
erawamai
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i G21

I believe its the principle of being given a ticket for speeding when the cop does it for fun. If you enforce you law you do your best to live your life by the law as well. Rule of law of underpinnes western democracy. Last time I checked the USA was a western democracy based on the rule of law. Quite simply no one is above the law.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2005, 05:12 PM   #55
timzerofive
there is no spoon
Rep
Drives: 330i manual

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by erawamai
I believe its the principle of being given a ticket for speeding when the cop does it for fun. If you enforce you law you do your best to live your life by the law as well. Rule of law of underpinnes western democracy. Last time I checked the USA was a western democracy based on the rule of law. Quite simply no one is above the law.
I was under the impression there is no speed limit set at the federal level.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2005, 07:13 PM   #56
ZenDriver
Do Not Taunt Zen Driver.
Rep
Drives: 325i w/ MT, ZSP in Graphite

How is it that the Germans can drive on the unrestricted parts of the autobahn all day long at 100+ miles an hour and somehow, magically, doing the same thing on an empty American road is endangering lives?

Will somebody PLEASE think of the children?

Seriously, some of you people need to get your panties out of a bunch (and that includes you canadians and beantown coppers). A trained police officer driving a well maintained police cruiser down an empty Oregon freeway in the middle of the night at 100+ miles an hour is not much of a danger to anyone.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2005, 07:32 PM   #57
mike sax
Rep

For Sale

Two round trip tickets to the state of Oregon. Return trip will be in the baggage compartment.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2005, 08:35 PM   #58
BMW Lawman
Supreme Commander of Allied Forces
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 335i Sport

Garage List
Yawn....about time to delete this thread. For all those who chastise, you have no clue as to where and under what conditions that photo was taken. A lot of people love jumping to conclusions just so they can here themselves talk. Maybe you have heard of or even seen law enforcement training tracks before.....either way, I could give a rip for your 2 cent opinions on something your simply jumping to conclusions about.
      11-18-2005, 08:54 PM   #59
mike sax
Rep

I agree with my brother officer. Lets end this thread and get on with mutual likes, dislikes and e90 questions.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2005, 09:26 PM   #60
LEDZEP
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2009 E70 & 2011 F25

Garage List
Give the cops a break. Jeez. Besides, if a law enforcement officer has to give chase at high speed or respond to an emergency, I personally would like to know that he has driven fast before - and maybe even on the same road.

I think it is bad luck to be superstitious
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2005, 02:35 AM   #61
erawamai
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i G21

It is not a question of whether it is safe or not. I believe you give tickets to people for speeding. It is obviously hypocritical to be so happy to break the laws which you paid by the state to enforce. Justice must be done as well as seen to be done. While the cops actions were probably not dangerous on an isolated road it certainly doesn't look good when a law officer chooses to breach a strict liability offence, because he subjectively feels it is safe to do so, and then gives a ticket to another person who also may have subjectivly thought their speeding was also safe.

Where I'm from being caught doing your speed would result in a loss of licence, a large fine and possibily gaol. If a police officer was caught doing it he or she would lose his job and his licence.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2005, 06:38 AM   #62
LEDZEP
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2009 E70 & 2011 F25

Garage List
Yep. Time to let this thread die now.
I drive 116 miles per day on my commute, mostly highway. I have seen many many times, state troopers changing a flat tire for someone or helping by the road in other ways, etc. Most of us also don't have jobs where our lives are legitimately at risk. If they want to have a little fun, who cares.

I think it is bad luck to be superstitious
Appreciate 0