BMW
X1 / X2
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X1 (F48) and X2 (F39) Forums General BMW X1 Forum (F48) Drivetrain Malfunction Warning

08-17-2021, 02:49 PM   #1
kmark2688
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 X1 xDrive28i

Exclamation Drivetrain Malfunction Warning

A little bit of background: 2017 X1 F48 xDrive28i, 73k mi, one owner (me), expertly taken care of and maintained. Just had the water pump replaced due to a coolant leak because the plastic impeller inevitably shits the bed (Audi, this you?). Anyways, I also had a cracked motor mount which was simultaneously replaced and $2200 my car is still being a shit.

It's idling really, I don't know, loud? Heavy? DOING THE MOST? I'm not a car person, so I don't know how to describe it. Imagine the sound of a commercial HVAC unit or small generator turning on - that's what it sounds like. It also does this jerky-jerk lurchy-lurch forward bounce when I'm coasting at 5-10mph. It's somewhere between a dainty shiver and Cha-Cha-Sliding into the rear of the car in front of you if you're bumper-kissing.

Not sure if the following is related, but it's the crux of this post, soooooooo......

I haven't had any overt scary warning lights come on until I switched to Eco-Pro mode, which, I NEVER use. After about 10 minutes of driving in said mode, I get the ominous Drivetrain Malfunction Warning on my infotainment system and I pull over shortly after. I power the car off, preparing to call roadside assistance, googled some scary stuff and sat there for 15 mins. It was hot as balls so I turned the car back on, it idles weirdly for a bit (the uzhe) but no warning light comes back on. I'm able to make it home without it coming back on at all.

But, like, I don't trust it. Has anyone had something similar happen to them? Any input would be lovely!
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2021, 08:13 PM   #2
CnSky
Major
Ireland
Rep
Drives: BMW 530E 2017

It was a really hot day!

You had the pump changed could the noise be the cooling fan running all the time?

Perhaps they didn't put enough coolant into the system?

Plenty of other posts wanting that there isn't a low coolant warning in the X1.

Also other stating the coolant system can get an air locked easily when topping up.

Could be a combo of both so the engine is overheating and the fans are on constantly.

Also the mounts I think are vacuum controlled could the hose that connects to the mount have been left disconnected? Engine will bounce around a lot when asking for power at speed and rotate with torque if one mount stays soft.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2021, 08:19 PM   #3
CnSky
Major
Ireland
Rep

The jerking driving slow sounds like a transmission adaptation error any chance the garage also update your software Istep?

I ask as 2200 bucks for a pump and mount seems far too expensive even for BMW.

If so it could be the new gearbox software is corrupt.

X1 has had plenty of issues with transmission software since launch.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2021, 07:28 PM   #4
CnSky
Major
Ireland
Rep

To add Eco Pro reduced cooling so the heat isn't dissipating into the aircon system as much as air isn't being drawn over the radiator, so to me seems to indicate that you have a coolant issue after the pump was changed.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2021, 01:20 PM   #5
ZZZZ
Captain
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0i winterbeater

The X1 has an electric auxiliary fan that runs when its super hot outside or if you're driving slow and not enough air can get over the radiator. That's likely the fan noise you heard. I've only had it kick on twice since owning my F48.

The lurching and sputtering sounds like a transmission issue. Could possibly be solved with a software update from the dealer.

Zzzz
Appreciate 0