BMW
X1 / X2
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X1 (F48) and X2 (F39) Forums General BMW X1 Forum (F48) Electronic Parking Brake / electronic handbrake

04-23-2016, 02:32 PM   #1
DJ Orange
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: VW Golf GTI

Electronic Parking Brake / electronic handbrake

Hi all,

I've finally ordered my first BMW after many years with VW. Thanks for such a great forum of very useful information!

Having come from a Golf GTI (manual transmission) which has the electronic brake with auto hold function, I have been used to pressing the brake which engaged the hand brake when in auto hold mode. This means that I currently have no need to touch the electronic brake button at all and simply press the brake to engage the 'handbrake' and simply put into first gear and accelerate to move off.

Can anyone tell me if there is an auto hold function on the X1? Is it an option? It's not a huge issue if there isn't as I'm sure I can get used to flicking up and pressing down the electronic brake button.

I did test drive and quizzed my SA but she didn't seem to get what I meant.

Many thanks in advance.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2016, 03:04 PM   #2
The Beast
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: VW Transporter Sportline

Nope it's a glaring omission on the F48 imo, my F10 has it as well as our A Class. But Timbo kindly tested a theory for me and you can manually apply the handbrake and it will auto release when you hit the accelerator. Not ideal but it's a work around of some sorts for times when you know you'll be stationary for a while...
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2016, 04:55 PM   #3
DJ Orange
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: VW Golf GTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Beast View Post
Nope it's a glaring omission on the F48 imo, my F10 has it as well as our A Class. But Timbo kindly tested a theory for me and you can manually apply the handbrake and it will auto release when you hit the accelerator. Not ideal but it's a work around of some sorts for times when you know you'll be stationary for a while...
I could live with that as a compromise but is it a legitimate function, i.e. Is it in the manual.

When does yours arrive Beast, and what's your spec?
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2016, 05:04 PM   #4
KPD
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F48 xDrive 20i xLine

There's no auto hold unfortunately. There's auto release however. Gently tap the accelerator pedal in D or R and it'll release it automatically. Won't work in N. Also won't work if you keep depressing the accelerator in drive/reverse (for safety reasons, obviously).
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2016, 05:25 PM   #5
ttimbo
Major
Rep
Drives: F48 X1 25i AW; F20 M135i AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Orange
Quote:
I could live with that as a compromise but is it a legitimate function, i.e. Is it in the manual.

I can't see any reason why it wouldn't work in the manual.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2016, 05:44 PM   #6
The Beast
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: VW Transporter Sportline

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Orange View Post

Not sure tbh

My spec is in my post entitled 'decisions decisions' not sure how to post a link off my mobile!

Car should be in the UK by now as it was on a boat a couple of days ago. Should get delivery in the next 10 days

Where are you in Birmingham, might see you around...
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2016, 07:18 PM   #7
orcomma
Dividing by zero
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F48 X1 XDrive20d xLine

I'm probably missing something - but surely the car only rolls back in N anyway? I can't get my head round what the benefit of hill holding is?
      04-23-2016, 07:20 PM   #8
ttimbo
Major
Rep
Drives: F48 X1 25i AW; F20 M135i AW

We're not talking about hill holding, but the pseudo auto-hold the X1 has, by engaging the handbrake when in D in traffic, which stops creep, and auto releases when you press the throttle.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2016, 09:41 PM   #9
PF1
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F48 X1 xDrive25i M Sport

I have tried the auto parking brake release a few times. It's passable for car-holding at the lights but it's not as smooth as the Mercedes system, unfortunately. The brakes seem to grab a fraction longer after pressing the accelerator pedal, so can feel the car push against the brake and then releasing. In the Merc the release timing is better and it's seamless in action.

Last edited by PF1; 04-23-2016 at 09:48 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2016, 01:56 AM   #10
jsdh89j9ijkL
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: motorcycle

Quote:
Originally Posted by mynewx1 View Post
I have tried the auto parking brake release a few times. It's passable for car-holding at the lights but it's not as smooth as the Mercedes system, unfortunately. The brakes seem to grab a fraction longer after pressing the accelerator pedal, so can feel the car push against the brake and then releasing. In the Merc the release timing is better and it's seamless in action.
Ha, then you've never had the joy that is VW's implementation of hill hold from 5 years ago. ANY hill hold system after that feels smooth!
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2016, 07:53 AM   #11
orcomma
Dividing by zero
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F48 X1 XDrive20d xLine

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttimbo View Post
We're not talking about hill holding, but the pseudo auto-hold the X1 has, by engaging the handbrake when in D in traffic, which stops creep, and auto releases when you press the throttle.
Ah right! I just keep my foot on the brake.

Used to in my manual handbrake F20 too..

(Probably dazzling the driver behind, who was adding me to his stereotype of the average BMW driver)
      04-25-2016, 06:00 PM   #12
brissim
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X3 30d (2011 F25) - now sold

Quote:
Agree - the lack of the auto-hold is an obsoletely stunning omission. Its even got the blanked-off bit of plastic where the auto-hold button would be. It was arguably one of the first things I noticed about the F48 X1 when we had our test drives. After nearly 5 years of the auto-hold in our F25 X3 we've grown to the point I don't think we would do without it for our next car.

Tony
Appreciate 0