BMW
X1 / X2
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X1 (F48) and X2 (F39) Forums General BMW X1 Forum (F48) How to check if the car has Carplay/android auto?

11-27-2023, 03:18 PM   #1
Chuckame
Registered
Rep
Drives: Bmw x1

How to check if the car has Carplay/android auto?

Hey,

I'm currently searching to buy a x1, starting from 2017 models for the 136cv gasoline motor, but also want to get carplay working.

It's not that easy to know if the car have it natively but not activated.

I've seen some posts indicating that we can check it online on a bmw website with the VIN to check if the autoradio have wlan & Bluetooth. Also, I've seen some people saying that the cars with 8.8 inch screen and extended (what's that?) gps.

Do you have some insights?
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2023, 04:56 AM   #2
BrianJ
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW F48 X1 xDrive20i Sport B48

CarPlay might vary a bit by market and certainly varies over the life of the F48. When we ordered ours from new in the UK in Sept 2019, Apple CarPlay Preparation (option code 6CP) was a separate option that had to be ordered at the time of build and could not be retrofitted. I don't think it can now to those cars unless you go for some 3rd party technology. It was not standard in the UK at least on any model/version of the car (I still have the brochure of features and options). No mention of Android Auto on the options list. The price of £235 was originally a 3-year fee, which soon afterwards was changed to a one-time charge for everyone, including those like us who bought it when it lasted 3 years. I haven't studied what happened for new builds subsequent to ours.

Last edited by BrianJ; 11-29-2023 at 04:59 AM.. Reason: Clarification
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2023, 11:09 PM   #3
saphirschwarz.f48
Private
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW F48 X1 sDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckame View Post
Hey,

I'm currently searching to buy a x1, starting from 2017 models for the 136cv gasoline motor, but also want to get carplay working.

It's not that easy to know if the car have it natively but not activated.

I've seen some posts indicating that we can check it online on a bmw website with the VIN to check if the autoradio have wlan & Bluetooth. Also, I've seen some people saying that the cars with 8.8 inch screen and extended (what's that?) gps.

Do you have some insights?
unfortunately a 2017 X1 will not have native Apple CarPlay as it has the olderENTRYNAV headunit running iDrive 4 which is not CarPlay compatible.

2018+ cars have the ENTRYNAV2 (also known as ENTRYNAVEVO/ENTRYEVO) headunit with iDrive 6 and those are the ones that are compatible with CarPlay. from factory it would need option 6CP Apple CarPlay Preparation as BrianJ said, but some members here on the forum have gotten it working. https://f48.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1588056

as for Android Auto, no F48s (or any iDrive 6 and older BMW) support it at all. only newer models with MGU running iDrive 7 or iDrive 8 support Android Auto.

however you can get Apple CarPlay and/or Android Auto retrofitted with an add-on combox or with an Android display that replaces the original iDrive display. don’t worry, you won’t lose any features going for either of these routes-you retain stock iDrive interface and you can switch over to the Apple CarPlay/Android Auto/the Android screen’s interface and vice versa whenever you like.
Appreciate 0