BMW
X1 / X2
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X1 (F48) and X2 (F39) Forums General BMW X1 Forum (F48) BMW connected drive help

09-13-2016, 03:12 PM   #1
connlach1
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 1.8 Sport

BMW connected drive help

Just got an X1 with the standard business nav. I have an android phone which seems like bad news! Are there any external music apps that work with this or even internet radio?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2016, 04:31 PM   #2
X1PGK
Private
Rep
Drives: X1 20d X Drive X Line 2016

I know. In the same boat. It's almost like being a non person if you have an Android phone to BMW. Yet globally, Android outsells iPhone. Work that out? I just play music stored on my phone via bluetooth or USB.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2016, 05:36 PM   #3
MrTracey
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F48 X1 xDrive20i MSport

In the UK the only Android music app that will work via connected drive is Spotify. See here for a list.
It may be a while before other apps are added - it seems BMW have only started to make an effort with Android since March 2016 - see here.

My F48 X1 is my first BMW to have built-in Navigation and Connected Drive - and I have to say I'm extremely disappointed with my experience of both so far.
The Tom-Tom satnav I used in my previous car was far better than whatever BMW are providing, while the clumsy and awkward need to connect your phone via USB for Connected Drive apps to work is archaic.

I have Amazon Music on my Android phone - but only the iPhone version works with Connected apps However, I do use it to stream stuff from Amazon Prime music via bluetooth with the (limited) ability to use the steering wheel controls to skip forward / back a track at a time
      09-14-2016, 05:36 AM   #4
KPD
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F48 xDrive 20i xLine

Id asked this before and nobody knew the answer. What exactly is the purpose of BMW Connected?

If I wanted to listen to Spotify or Amazon Music, etc., I'd simply load it up on my iPhone, connect via USB or Bluetooth and that'll be it. Can't understand what the Connected app is for. Does it offer anything extra compared to USB?

p.s. I've got an iPhone. But it sounds strange that Android devices can't play Spotify via USB. Makes no sense, because you're essentially using the car as a speaker, just like any old speaker!!
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2016, 07:17 AM   #5
MrTracey
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F48 X1 xDrive20i MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPD View Post
Id asked this before and nobody knew the answer. What exactly is the purpose of BMW Connected?

If I wanted to listen to Spotify or Amazon Music, etc., I'd simply load it up on my iPhone, connect via USB or Bluetooth and that'll be it. Can't understand what the Connected app is for. Does it offer anything extra compared to USB?
From what I've read, using (for example) the amazon music app via connected drive gives much more functionality/control/visuals via the car (idrive/steering wheel) than using a non-connected drive app.
So it's like having the full functionality of the app via idrive. See here for example.

Trouble is there's a limited number of compatible apps, and even less if you have android - to the point where it's really not much use....and you have to connect via USB.
It really is an out-dated bit of functionality. I feel very disappointed - especially when you see adverts for small city cars costing about £10k with Apple CarPlay or Android Auto

Last edited by MrTracey; 09-14-2016 at 07:31 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2016, 07:41 AM   #6
KPD
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F48 xDrive 20i xLine

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTracey View Post
... more functionality/control/visuals via the car (idrive/steering wheel) than using a non-connected drive app...
I see. I always set my music apps to shuffle. So, never really tried the steering wheel controls to see if they work when connected VIA USB/Bluetooth.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2016, 04:12 PM   #7
connlach1
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 1.8 Sport

Thanks for the replies. Figured out that I can play spotify on my phone and stream it via bluetooth so at least that is something. I get the name of the band and song and can flick through tracks. Not ideal but hopefully they will work on something better for android soon.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2016, 06:33 PM   #8
nickmdp
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2017 X1

You can also set your phone to automatically start spotify when you start your car with an app I use called "Bluetooth Connect and Play" and probably other similar ones too. It's pretty handy, so your music just starts playing a few moments after you get in the car.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2022, 01:24 PM   #9
azeemkhanyz
Registered
Rep
Drives: Toyota

I appreciate your responses. I discovered that I can stream Spotify through bluetooth from my phone, so at least that is something. I can flip between tracks and understand the band and song names. Not ideal, but perhaps they'll soon work on an upgrade for Android.
With an app called "Bluetooth Connect and Play" that I use and possibly others like it, you can also configure your phone to launch Spotify automatically when you start your car. Your music simply starts playing a little while after you are in the car, which is really convenient.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2023, 07:19 AM   #10
javediqbalUSA
Registered
Rep
Drives: swift is a suzuki made car

Android Panel

Does this BMW x1 have an Android panel to install apps?
Appreciate 0