BMW
X1 / X2
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X1 (F48) and X2 (F39) Forums General BMW X1 Forum (F48) X1 rear Door Tweeters

03-10-2021, 03:32 PM   #1
Bcborn59
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X1

X1 rear Door Tweeters

Has anyone installed separate tweeters in the rear doors of their F48 X1 using H/K hardware?

Unlikely the tweeter mounting hardware in the door itself (Item13)? Anyone bought this piece?

I assume you can buy the rear tweeter grills (item 14). Anyone bought this piece?

Doesn't look like they make a H/K door panel, assume tweeter cutout is done at time of assembly.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-10-2021, 05:23 PM   #2
Homersbud
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bcborn59 View Post
Has anyone installed separate tweeters in the rear doors of their F48 X1 using H/K hardware?

Unlikely the tweeter mounting hardware in the door itself (Item13)? Anyone bought this piece?

I assume you can buy the rear tweeter grills (item 14). Anyone bought this piece?

Doesn't look like they make a H/K door panel, assume tweeter cutout is done at time of assembly.
Yup - i just did this fit last wkend.

In short - take panel off and drill a hole in center of cutout (back of panel). Then tape the area 3-4 layers deep on the leather side (painters tape for first layer then duct tape). Drill a bigger hole through center but go through tape.

Grab a 2" hole saw and drill through panel (tape side - leather). Once through - fit the trim piece (14) it just snaps into the hole - then slide the mounting bracket (13). into place (literally slides into 3 spots). That's it. I didnt notice anything to hold the bracket in place but some extra leather on the back panel seemed to work from it moving around.

I had focal speakers - so the HK tweeters i bought were just p-n-p.

I added my info here - https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1801823
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
wcs2229170.50
      03-10-2021, 09:51 PM   #3
Bcborn59
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homersbud View Post

In short - take panel off and drill a hole in center of cutout (back of panel). Then tape the area 3-4 layers deep on the leather side (painters tape for first layer then duct tape). Drill a bigger hole through center but go through tape.

Grab a 2" hole saw and drill through panel (tape side - leather). Once through - fit the trim piece (14) it just snaps into the hole - then slide the mounting bracket (13). into place (literally slides into 3 spots). That's it. I didnt notice anything to hold the bracket in place but some extra leather on the back panel seemed to work from it moving around.

Very Nice job and great info.

Do you happen to have the price and part number for the tweeter grill and the tweeter mount. The tweeter didn't come with the mount did it? I'm using Match Components and it coming with tweeter would be a waste.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2021, 10:24 PM   #4
Homersbud
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Very Nice job and great info.

Do you happen to have the price and part number for the tweeter grill and the tweeter mount. The tweeter didn't come with the mount did it? I'm using Match Components and it coming with tweeter would be a waste.
Trim piece was about $50-55/each (i got them off ebay) - 51417382804 - keep in mind, if you got the upgraded trim (not black) this part # won't be for you.

Brackets were cheap - $8/each.
Left mounting - 51-42-7-355-463-BOE
Right mounting - 51-42-7-355-464-BOE

https://www.pelicanparts.com/cgi-bin...-7-355-464-BOE

2" hole saw - https://www.homedepot.com/p/202327737

Nope - didn't come with tweeters - had to buy separately.

Since it's oem, it all ships from overseas, so expect a few wks for shipping. If you can, buy all parts from same place - i shopped around and just wasn't worth it as parts showed up at different wks :
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2021, 07:28 AM   #5
plagm
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X3 30d 2021, 430d 2017, X1 20D

having owned a x1 with HK and one with the BMW advanced which from memory does not have tweeters in the rear door. We Bought the Advanced in the second car because we felt the cost difference was not worth going to HK a second time,

The hassle of HK tweeters in the rear door is absolutely not worth it, the hk is not even worth it. (also had it in a 4 series where it was worth it), spend your money elseware.

The advanced was much better than bass stereo but the HK was a disappointment. (£200 vs £600). it also added an amp and speakers in the right places for not a lot so any upgrade path was easy.

Having fitted upgrades to a few cars i can say in the rear if you must replace simply replace the mid with a co-axel. you will not notice bothering with separate components in any way, not at the level we are talking about anyway.

Spend any money you saved on better front components (where you sit and listen).
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2021, 10:48 AM   #6
Bcborn59
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Trim piece was about $50-55/each (i got them off ebay) - 51417382804 - keep in mind, if you got the upgraded trim (not black) this part # won't be for you.

Since it's oem, it all ships from overseas, so expect a few wks for shipping. If you can, buy all parts from same place - i shopped around and just wasn't worth it as parts showed up at different wks :
When the mounting bracket slid over the 3 pins, their are clips to hold it.

Quote from F30 Forum

Secure the bracket to the back of the door panel using the 3 Axial Securing Clips pushing one over each of the posts. This is actually a little harder than it looks. The Axial Security Clips are made of some pretty strong steel (not aluminum), and do not bend easily. I couldn't just push them over the post with my fingers to secure the bracket. I had to prep it by bending each little prong outwards using a needle-nose. And even then i couldn't use my fingers to push it all the way down. Once i was able to get the clip onto the tip of the post, I used a pair of pliers to push the clip to go all the way down.

I take it the tweeter grill is separate and does not make contact with the speaker. Do the clips on the grill clip into the rear bracket?
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2021, 11:03 AM   #7
Homersbud
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

When the mounting bracket slid over the 3 pins, their are clips to hold it.

Quote from F30 Forum

Secure the bracket to the back of the door panel using the 3 Axial Securing Clips pushing one over each of the posts. This is actually a little harder than it looks. The Axial Security Clips are made of some pretty strong steel (not aluminum), and do not bend easily. I couldn't just push them over the post with my fingers to secure the bracket. I had to prep it by bending each little prong outwards using a needle-nose. And even then i couldn't use my fingers to push it all the way down. Once i was able to get the clip onto the tip of the post, I used a pair of pliers to push the clip to go all the way down.

I take it the tweeter grill is separate and does not make contact with the speaker. Do the clips on the grill clip into the rear bracket?
I couldn't find anything on realoem.com that worked. I thought it used some torx bolts (bought a cpl) but nada. Any idea on part number for the clips? For now, i've been driving and haven't noticed the bracket moving.

The tweeter grill simply connects to the hole itself. It has 4-5 clips that catch the back panel of the hole - so it doesn't connect to the mounting bracket at all.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2021, 11:58 AM   #8
Bcborn59
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
I couldn't find anything on realoem.com that worked. I thought it used some torx bolts (bought a cpl) but nada. Any idea on part number for the clips? For now, i've been driving and haven't noticed the bracket moving.

The tweeter grill simply connects to the hole itself. It has 4-5 clips that catch the back panel of the hole - so it doesn't connect to the mounting bracket at all.
Good to know re the grills. Found these grill covers out of China, how do they compare. Says they are for the F48 X1

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000859714804.html

Clip (See Attachment)

Side Note:

I bought the front door Sail Pods same reseller. Have yet to install them, will see how they fit compared to OEM non speaker mount moldings. First glance, the one difference is these do not come with the foam backing behind the tweeter and no retainer clips. Obviously have to pull them from the OEM Trim.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000570899271.html
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-11-2021, 12:34 PM   #9
Homersbud
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Good to know re the grills. Found these grill covers out of China, how do they compare. Says they are for the F48 X1

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000859714804.html

Clip (See Attachment)

Side Note:

I bought the front door Sail Pods same reseller. Have yet to install them, will see how they fit compared to OEM non speaker mount moldings. First glance, the one difference is these do not come with the foam backing behind the tweeter and no retainer clips. Obviously have to pull them from the OEM Trim.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000570899271.html
Those grill covers look like oem from the picture. Price seems to be OK - just china crap but looks like it'll work & no one will be able to tell they aren't oem.

Thanks for that clip! Looks like that'll fit.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2021, 02:37 PM   #10
Bcborn59
Private First Class
Rep

I sent a note to the Chinese Link to see if in fact these covers fit the 2016 - 2020 F48 X1.

Do these grills look identical to the factory mid speaker grill (depth and ridges of grill wire).

I wonder if the grills you bought (Ebay) were the same Chinese Covers.

How does the grill color match the OEM Mid Covers.

What did you do for the dash center channel?

Last edited by Bcborn59; 03-11-2021 at 03:39 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2021, 04:50 PM   #11
Bcborn59
Private First Class
Rep

Clips Maybe

This might be the clip to secure the Tweeter Mounting Bracket to the door panel.

P/N 52207115704
Axial securing clip
5,75MM

Can anyone confirm that?
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2021, 04:50 PM   #12
Homersbud
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I sent a note to the Chinese Link to see if in fact these covers fit the 2016 - 2020 F48 X1.

Do these grills look identical to the factory mid speaker grill (depth and ridges of grill wire).

I wonder if the grills you bought (Ebay) were the same Chinese Covers.

How does the grill color match the OEM Mid Covers.

What did you do for the dash center channel?
Nah - mine were oem off ebay because they came in the bmw group packaging. They could've had the packaging laying around but seemed legit. I got it off this seller - https://www.ebay.com/itm/Genuine-OE-....m46890.l49292

I simply installed the center tweeter since the opening is there - you just need the tweeter & a y-cable for power.

Center tweeter part - 65139226358
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2021, 11:16 AM   #13
Homersbud
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
This might be the clip to secure the Tweeter Mounting Bracket to the door panel.

P/N 52207115704
Axial securing clip
5,75MM

Can anyone confirm that?
Realoem shows this as part of the right trunk trim.

https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/sho...29#52207115704

It could work but only way to know is to try. Seems big enough though. I may attempt with a cpl to see if they work. Only a few bucks off ebay - so a cheap attempt.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2021, 01:58 PM   #14
Bcborn59
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Realoem shows this as part of the right trunk trim.

https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/sho...29#52207115704

It could work but only way to know is to try. Seems big enough though. I may attempt with a cpl to see if they work. Only a few bucks off ebay - so a cheap attempt.
Probably find them at your local auto parts store.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2021, 08:49 AM   #15
Lee999
Registered
Rep

great upgrate

x1 really should have come with tweeters.
Appreciate 0